Museum of Broken Relationship

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 01:52 am
While Vienna hosted the first ever divorce fair, in Berlin the the Museum of Broken Relationship opened.

http://i23.tinypic.com/n51st1.jpg
http://i20.tinypic.com/x413yq.jpg

Quote:
Museum of Broken Relationships opens

Kate Connolly in Berlin
Monday October 29, 2007
The Guardian

Cutting the arms off his designer suits, putting her prized wine collection out on the street for passers-by, or burning the collection of love letters are just some of the ways in which jilted lovers are known to have exacted revenge at the end of relationships.
But now there is another outlet for their painful experiences - The Museum of Broken Relationships.

A temporary space in Tacheles, a 1930s department store-turned-artists' squat in former East Berlin, has become a donor centre for mementos of break-ups.

The public has been invited to drop off objects left over after flings, partnerships and marriages. The response has been overwhelming.
"The pain caused by a break-up often produces a strong creative drive," said Olinka Vistica, a Zagreb artist who had the idea for the exhibition after splitting up with fellow artist and joint curator, Drazen Grubisic. "Some people turn to writing who had never written before and it's this emotional experience that makes it possible," she told Der Tagesspiegel.

The cathartic objets trouvés include an axe used by one woman to break up her ex-girlfriend's furniture, plus the broken furniture. Alongside the engagement rings and love letters there is a wedding dress, gall stones, a Vespa, a cuddly tiger, a fax and a pair of inline skates.

There is even a wooden leg from a Balkan war veteran who fell in love with a nurse in a field hospital. "The prosthetic had a longer life-span than the relationship," the donor has written next to the exhibit.

Susanne Schickl, 36, who donated the wedding dress she wore when she married a Japanese man in 1994, said: "I liked the idea that I could give something away that awakened painful memories for me."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 930 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 01:57 am
Actually, that is an art project, which will be presented in several other cities, too.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:00 am
Hm, if it comes to Stuttgart, I might have a look!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:13 am
Walter any comment on this article Laughing

Reference: Zagreb's Museum Of Broken Hearts
27.04.06 - If you visit Zagreb, the Croatian Capital, don't miss Zagreb's new Museum of Broken Relationships that contains love letters, engagement rings, massage oils, scooters, and empty liquor bottles, and various other leftovers from love that is not that any more.

The museum's website, www.brokenships.com, says :

"This museum allows you to get rid of things that trigger bad memories."

Beside these somehow expected leftowers, the museum also features unsual items such as an artificial leg of a war veteran who fell in love with his therapist. "The prostheses lasted longer than our love. Better material" says a note attached to the prosthetic limb.

Museum of Broken Relationships is located in a big metal container outside an art museum in Zagreb.

The founders Olinka Vištica and Dražen Grubišić hope the city of Zagreb authorities will help them to turn the exhibit into a permanent collection that will allow them to accep contributions from around the world.

Visit museums website : www.brokenships.com
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:14 am
Now to Stockholm, Belgrad, Skopje and afterwards probably New York, Tokio and Sao Paolo are the places mentioned.
0 Replies