JB is still a student of English

J-B

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:21 pm
Quote:
"We must not see this as a zero-sum game," says Mr. Afrasiabi, a former adviser to Iran's nuclear negotiating team. "It would be sheer error on the part of US officials to berate President Putin for this trip to Iran, and extending an olive branch to the Iranian leadership … given the fact that Russia has been influential in steering Iran toward greater cooperation with the [International Atomic Energy Agency] to answer key questions."

What's a "zero-sum" game?
Is it an "unprofitable" game?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,373 • Replies: 54
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:35 pm
No. Profitable to some, but not others. That is, some win, some lose. If you're playing marbles, the same number comes out of the game as went in. They sometimes have different owners. The opposite of a zero sum game is a "win'win" situation.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 08:50 pm
Thanks Roger, but what is a marble game?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:52 pm
I'm caught. I've never played a game of marbles in my life. I'll do my best, though.

First, a marble is a small, spherical object, with diameters around 10mm. They are usually made of glass. From the name, I suppose they were originally made of stone, perhaps even marble.

I think you draw a circle in the ground and put some marbles in it. Your opponent does the same. Using another marble, called a "shooter", you try to knock your opponents marbles out of the circle. When you do, you keep his marbles. He trys to do the same. Anyway, if you each start with 10 marbles, there are 20 in total. When the game is over, there are still 20 marbles. They may not have the same owner as at the beginning, making it a zero sum game.

For what it's worth, when someone becomes mentally incapacitated in some ways, we say he's lost his marbles.

Now, here's a joke:

A disc jockey went to school to learn his trade. On day one, he had to try to talk clearly with 5 marbles in his mouth. The next day, only four. Finally, on day 5 he was able to talk without any marbles. When he had lost all his marbles, they gave him a diploma that said he was a disc jockey.

Before you ask, a disc jockey used to play records on the radio with a line of brainless chatter between records. The records were the disks, and jockey comes from a professional race horse rider.

On a2k, Bi Polar Bear does karoke for a living. This is somewhat like being a disc jockey, and I promise you, he lost all his marbles a long time ago. If you want to know about karoke, you'll have to ask him.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 02:52 am
Very Happy What a jokingly explanation and what an explanatory joke!

Thanks Roger. I love the idea of putting langauge back to its context. Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 02:59 am
Somewhere else, fellow member Tomkitten says:

Quote:
Sozobe - live it up! Get the camera you've been wanting for so long.

What is to "live it up"?

Thanks
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 05:02 am
J-B wrote:
Somewhere else, fellow member Tomkitten says:

Quote:
Sozobe - live it up! Get the camera you've been wanting for so long.

What is to "live it up"?

Thanks

To have a great time, be extravagant, indulge oneself.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 08:02 am
Something like, "Just Do It"?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 08:05 am
In this case, yes, but the phrase itself is defined well by dlowan. "Live it up!" has a connotation of luxury, splurging, spending money. It would go on a poster of someone sitting on a tropical beach somewhere, sipping a fancy drink and being fanned by an attractive member of the opposite sex.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 11:25 pm
I see Smile

Here is another question

Somewhere else, A2K member 2PacksAday says:

Quote:
On a similar note, I do have both of the "Physics of Star Trek" books, and enjoyed them greatly…even though the second one had a contrived feeling about it. So thanks for the heads up…I will probably pick it up if I run across it. I did not see it specifically mentioned in the review but I'm sure Superman's procreative powers are discussed within…at least his ability to, or lack of, with Earth women.

What is "heads up"? Is that like "attention"?

Thank you.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 11:33 pm
"heads up!" is something you say to someone right before you throw something too high. (or drop something from above)

that way, when they look up, it smacks them right in the face.

this isn't the intention, the intention is for them to look up, see what you're saying "heads up!" about, and then have time to get out of the way or something. never happens.

but since the intention is to be helpful, we also use "heads up" as a noun. "thanks for the heads up" means "thanks for telling me that thing i needed to know."

you wouldn't say "thanks for the heads up" if someone told you the capital of mexico or what's 42 divided by 5. you would say "thanks for the heads up" if someone told you that your boss was worth avoiding today, because he's in a bad mood, or because someone told you that you had a bit of food in your teeth- little things that people alert you to when it's a favor.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 11:34 pm
If someone gives you a "heads up", they are giving you an advance warning or notice. I recall playing basketball in high school physical education. Someone shouted "heads up", so I put my head up, and sure enough, I was struck by the ball - right in the head. My ears were ringing for hours.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 08:09 pm
I see Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 07:12 am
Somewhere else, A2K member Letty says:

Quote:
J.B, Solomon "messed around" with the queen of Sheba, and yes, his songs are quite erotic. I smiled when some books were banned by a bible thumper where I lived in Virginia, and I mentioned that perhaps the book of Solomon should be banned. There was total silence.

Now, what is a "thumper"?

Thanks
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 07:21 am
J-B- A bible thumper, (also referred to as "bible-banger) is one of those usually fundamentalist preachers, and members of their flock, who are very strident in their spreading of their religion.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bible+Banger&defid=1081441

Quote:
Bible thumper (also Bible basher, Bible beater ) is a derisive term used to describe Christian fundamentalists, or anyone perceived as aggressively pushing their religious beliefs upon those who do not share them. As an insult, its target domain is broad and can often extend to anyone engaged in a public show of religiosity, fundamentalist or not.

The term alludes to a preacher thumping his hand hard down on the lectern and the Bible on it to emphasize a point during a sermon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_thumper
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 07:37 am
Thanks Phoenix,

Now another one,

Somewhere else, Asherman says:

Quote:
As time went on and the reach of technology widened, there was a shift from the murky world of using foreign "Joes" to the "less odious" gathering of data by electronic and remote sensing systems.

What are the "Joes"? Where does this word come from?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 07:19 pm
I guess it is from certain popular comics or books...

No one knows it?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:00 pm
Guess not. I've run across "the average Joe", meaning the common person, or average person. I take it that the meaning is similar.

Joe is supposed to be a very common name in the U.S., but I don't happen to know anyone with that name.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:58 pm
Joe
noun
Joes
1. A man; an ordinary fellow.
Etymology: 19c.

joe

Slang term given to military personnel when the name is not known or when talking about military personnel as a stereotype.

eg: Hey go ask that "Joe" for a cigarette before the Platoon Sergeant gets back.

"Joe" is always ready to index the mission and hit the bars instead.

joe

Chicago Term for greeting a person or calling someone if you don't know their name. Even if you do know their name, you still call them joe.

eg: What's up Joe.
Man, Joe, we went to this juke party last night..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 11:14 pm
Thanks for the input - Mack.
0 Replies