Our history is so dark, why?

patiodog

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 06:34 pm
The complicity bit wasn't meant to have anything to do with Willie's brief reference to the dropping the Atom Bomb on the Yellow Peril. Anyway, the death toll attributale to atomic/nuclear weapons thus far doesn't even compare that well to the low-tech Hutu-Tutsi bloodshed...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 06:35 pm
Chumly wrote:
I am not so sure that the US's WW II development of atomic weapons is a very good example of general populace complicity. In fact the Manhattan Project was set up so that very few knew the whole and true nature of the effort.

Modern technologies potentially allow the very few to impose on the very many without general populace complicity, so I must disagree that "great evil deeds are only accomplished through the complicity of many people".

I will go further by claiming that "great evil" can be accomplished through indifference, lack of foresight, ignorance, superstition, good intentions etc.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Quote:
U.S. Air Force General Jack Ripper goes completely and utterly mad, and sends his bomber wing to destroy the U.S.S.R. He suspects that the communists are conspiring to pollute the "precious bodily fluids" of the American people. The U.S. president meets with his advisers, where the Soviet ambassador tells him that if the U.S.S.R. is hit by nuclear weapons, it will trigger a "Doomsday Machine" which will destroy all plant and animal life on Earth. Peter Sellers portrays the three men who might avert this tragedy: British Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, the only person with access to the demented Gen. Ripper; U.S. President Merkin Muffley, whose best attempts to divert disaster depend on placating a drunken Soviet Premier and the former Nazi genius Dr. Strangelove, who concludes that "such a device would not be a practical deterrent for reasons which at this moment must be all too obvious". Will the bombers be stopped in time, or will General Jack Ripper succeed in destroying the world ? Written by Colin Tinto {[email protected]}

U.S. President Merkin Muffley (Peter Sellers) is on the hot line to Moscow with some rather embarrassing news for the Soviet premier: "Hello, Dimitri....I'm fine....Now then, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the bomb....The bomb, Dimitri. The hydrogen bomb....Well, now, what happened is that, uh, one of our base commanders...he went a little funny in the head....and he went and did a silly thing....He ordered his planes to attack your country." A comedy about an accidental nuclear attack? One that ends with total annihilation, thermonuclear apocalypse? Preposterous! Stanley Kubrick thought otherwise. In the end his thinking prevailed. The mad saga revolves around a psychotic Strategic Air Command officer, Gen. Jack D. Ripper (Sterling Hayden), who lets loose his B-52 bomber squadron on the Soviet Union. Ripper takes this unilateral action because of his paranoid belief that Communists are sapping and contaminating "all our precious bodily fluids" as part of their plan to take over the world." Unbeknownst to Ripper, his attack will trigger the Russian's ultimate weapon, the Doomsday Machine, a diabolical retaliatory device set to blow up the planet.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:02 am
Re: Our history is so dark, why?
U ask MANY questions,
all at the same time.

Dartboy wrote:

Quote:
In my research I did the main theme of racism and the Ku Klux Klan came up abit in my books and research.
This opened my eyes, I saw what my, our, past contained and I was disgusted,
as a human being I was ashamed at what we could do to one another,

Quote:
I cant see how we could try to kill a whole race or
exclude a race becuase of there skin colour.

Thay were considered inferior and repugnant.
Did your research fail to reveal that ?

Quote:
why did we do this,
why did people like the KKK

The KKK were veterans of the defeated Southern army.
Did your research reveal that ?
Thay were not voluntarily willing to end slavery;
that was forced upon them.
Thay preserved the status quo ante,
as well as thay were ABLE to do so.
As Chumly inquired,
" why do expect a higher level of civility? "

Quote:
or Hilter single out races and kill, toture and humiliate them,

Hitler was ready to die from syphilis, when he committed suicide,
for other reasons. It has been said that he contracted it
from a Jewish lady of the evening.
He may have been resentful.
( Note, incidentally, that Hitler was probably 25% Jewish.
His father 's father was Jewish. )

Quote:
why did we allow this to happen for so long,
couldn't something have been done to stop or prevent this

Somehow, it strikes me as unlikely that your country
was going to war against the 3rd Reich
because your ancestors did not believe
that Jews were getting satisfactory treatment
before the time of the concentration camps.
Those camps were DISCOVERED, to our shock,
by US and English armies, at the end of the war.
( Thay did not even intervene to save the disarmed ARMENIANS
from genocide by the Turks, during the First World War 1915 to 1917 which was a lot more public. )

In America, there was a lot of isolationism; mind our own business.
We did not know of the concerntration camps until 1945; thay were SECRET.
We had no reason to invade Germany.
Invasions can be EXPENSIVE in lives and cash;
very inconvenient.

Hitler declared war on America, on Dec. 11th, 1941,
3 days after we declared war on Japan.
Hence, he made up our minds for us,
so far as war against Germany was concerned.
It was a defensive war; we did not go there to rescue the Jews.
That was incidental.

Quote:

I m young, 17, and you may see me a ignorant
but please can anyone give me answers to what would drive people to do this

We were ALL young n ignorant, at some time.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:07 am
Dartboy wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Dartboy wrote:
I think you mistook me or I didnt write this out right but what I mean is what would drive people to do what they did

Two things,

Suvival of the fittest and fear of the unknown.

Fear of the unknown I see but not Suvival of the fittest ,
are you saying that the white people and Hilter were scared?

I think thay felt maybe something like
the folks at a formal wedding, if a muddy dog breaks in
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:21 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Dartboy wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Dartboy wrote:
I think you mistook me or I didnt write this out right but what I mean is what would drive people to do what they did

Two things,

The jews and others targeted by Nazis were the "muddy dogs" at the Nazis wedding? You have a unique way with words.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:26 am
snood wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Dartboy wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Dartboy wrote:

Two things,

The jews and others targeted by Nazis
were the "muddy dogs" at the Nazis wedding?
You have a unique way with words.

Thank u.
I wonder Y u capitalize Nazis, but not Jews.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 11:41 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
The mature, actualized person is sure of himself, and does not need to put down others. If one is unsure of one's self, he feigns mastery by controlling others.

i like that. my pet theory is a lot more complicated, but this is great.

snood wrote:
One possibility that has been assiduously avoided here (probably a reflection of the secular majority on A2K - not that there's anything wrong with that) is that there might exist in the world real evil...

that's exactly why my pet theory is more complicated. despite any majority, you should bring this up in the s&r forum.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

part of the reason why i avoid capital letters altogether. they're nothing but trouble. of course, if it's automatic, like the "omsigdavid" which was copied in with capitals by a script, i usually don't bother with it.

as for your tendency to create a phonetic version of english, i can sort of relate, but i think your spelling in particular misses a number of sounds- that would go against the idea of phonetics. "shud" for instance... the l is there, the tongue may actually move to create it, but if you do hear it then it is very subtle. since there isn't a letter for a subtle "l," you might as well include it: "shuld" but then maybe "shoold" would be closer. with "go" and "to" you have new problems.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 12:31 pm
Quote:

I should think THAT would be OBVIOUS to someone with such a laser-sharp intellect as yours... I like the Nazis and hate the jews, of course.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 01:30 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:

Quote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

The mature, actualized person is sure of himself, and does not need to put down others. If one is unsure of one's self, he feigns mastery by controlling others.

i like that. my pet theory is a lot more complicated, but this is great.

If a man is sure of himself,
but sees a neighbor being abused,
is the man in error to " put down " the abuser ?

If a parent is sure of himself,
is he rong to " put down " one of his children for abusing another one ?

snood wrote:
One possibility that has been assiduously avoided here (probably a reflection of the secular majority on A2K - not that there's anything wrong with that) is that there might exist in the world real evil...

that's exactly why my pet theory is more complicated. despite any majority, you should bring this up in the s&r forum.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

part of the reason why i avoid capital letters altogether.
they're nothing but trouble. of course, if it's automatic, like the "omsigdavid" which was copied in
with capitals by a script, i usually don't bother with it.

as for your tendency to create a phonetic version of english, i can sort of relate,
but i think your spelling in particular misses a number of sounds-
that would go against the idea of phonetics. "shud" for instance...
the l is there, the tongue may actually move to create it,
but if you do hear it then it is very subtle.
since there isn't a letter for a subtle "l,"
you might as well include it: "shuld" but then maybe "shoold" would be closer. with "go" and "to" you have new problems.

U r to be congratulated for your efficiency
in answering multiple posters in one post, tho it might take more work ( ? )
I am an old man.
I thought I had good hearing,
but I have never heard L pronounced in wud, cud nor shud.
If I had, then I 'd not have encouraged abandonment of the Ls.
The way that I have always heard it,
wood
is a perfect ryme for "would," "could" or "should".
It has never occurred to me to pronounce an L in there.
For 95% of my life, I never thought of fonetic spelling,
and in the practice of my career, I always spelled paradigmaticly.

David
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 03:25 pm
snood wrote:
Quote:

I should think THAT would be OBVIOUS to someone with such a laser-sharp intellect as yours... I like the Nazis and hate the jews, of course.
I'm a Jew from an ethnic origin perceptive, both mother and father, I maintain no religious beliefs nor specified ethnic-cultural-Jewish affinities, I am saddened you like Nazis and hate Jews. Now where did my sense of humor go?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 03:33 pm
Chumly wrote:
snood wrote:
Quote:

I'm a Jew from an ethnic origin perceptive, both mother and father, I maintain no religious beliefs nor specified ethnic-cultural-Jewish affinities, I am saddened you like Nazis and hate Jews. Now where did my sense of humor go?

Point of information, if I may:
I seem to remember seeing writing
( maybe Jewish newspapers ) in English,
of Jews writing on matters of Jewish concern
to other Jews, in which thay have failed to capitalize the word "Jew".
That struck me as being somewhat odd.
I 'd not think of failing to capitalize " American "

Comment ?

David
0 Replies

oudalone

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 02:39 am
if love stay forever
i think if people all around the world love another one like love themselves this world must good to live;kill coz different ideas different religions who can tell me does science can heal this in the near future Question
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:57 am
I'd say most of the reasons have been pretty much summed up already. It is the fear of the unknown, the desire to lash out against those not belonging to your communbity, because you have no insight or control over them. It's easy to capitalize on those fears, especially in times of woe, since those fears basically stem not from our conscious, rational thinking mind, but from a deeper, more primitive mindset, which basically boils down to a survival instinct. If you manage to evoke this fear in people, and channel it to a specific group of people, seperate in either color, believe or lifestyle, you generate a very efficient and brutal killing machine.
To name some examples : The pogroms, the Crusades, the Nazis, the racial struggles in the sixties, and last but probably not least, the suicide bombers today. Someone already mentioned the atrocities between the Hutu's and the Tutsi's as well.

I'd like to delude myself and say: I would never do this. But I'm sure a lot of germans thought the same come in the period from 1933-1945. Ofttimes, there is little choice, and never underestimate the power of mass hysteria.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 01:02 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Chumly wrote:
snood wrote:
Quote:

Point of information, if I may:
I seem to remember seeing writing
( maybe Jewish newspapers ) in English,
of Jews writing on matters of Jewish concern
to other Jews, in which they have failed to capitalize the word "Jew".
That struck me as being somewhat odd.
I 'd not think of failing to capitalize " American "

Comment ?

David
I'm not sure what point of information you want to convey, nor what you would expect in the way of a comment, nor why you would ask me specifically, given your failing memory and unknown source.

I'm not sure my wholly-by-chance ethic origin would suggest I have any special insight into why someone else would or would not capitalize the first letter of the word Jew.

I would capitalize ithe first letter of the word Jew because it's correct English to do so.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 01:25 am
Dartboy wrote
Quote:
I m young, 17, and you may see me a ignorant but please can anyone give me answers to what would drive people to do this, to become an animal and cause such pain and hate in our world and why is it still happening today.

I agree with Chumly's comments on our "thin veneer of civilization". We are basically tribal animals like primates who also display vicious cruelty to outsiders. In other words the "drive" is there...it needs no explanation. What our "superior intellect" does is to exacerbate it or attempt to suppress it, and the mistake we make is to think that the primal forces which instigate it can be "understood" in psychological terms alone.

Dartboy,

Consider this. Assuming you are not a vegetarian you tacitly condone the killing of other species for food etc. What "tribalism" does is to equate "outsiders" with "other species" (especially "vermin") thereby delimiting empathy across the tribal divide. Is it so difficult to understand our "rationalizations" in times of conflict ?
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 06:54 pm
I think it looks dark because you're looking at it through the eyes of a civic hero generation. Some of it was just antisocial, as opposed to good or evil, and some societies needed a kick in the pants. Some of it was fatalistic - like the Crusades - like to say give us glory or the grave. Some of it transcended morality like Alexander's founding of Hellenistic civilization. These are just examples that might find special amnesty in the modern heart, which I'd say are few among many that effectively made sense within the context in which they occurred, to all parties. Take into account that people acting for any of these reasons can screw up or might just be firing for effect to begin with or might just be monstrous like Hitler and the stuff that really makes us gasp could be written off as chatter.

I mean - there's not to much bright about it in the fuzzy emotional sense, and the majority of the experience per capita was probably mundane beyond comprehension - but I'd say the stuff some people would call dark I would call high watermarks of distinction and achievement. As for the victims - it's naive to think even today that everyone's interests can be equitably balanced - so suffering was inevitable.

As for the altruistic nuns - to the lions I say!
0 Replies

lordofdabu

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:02 am
Re: Our history is so dark, why?
Dartboy wrote:
In my research I did the main theme of racism

I haven't read past the first page of this thread yet, but...how could you expect the theme of racism not to be dark? That's like researching the history of serial killers and asking why there's so much violence.
0 Replies