Phony Soldier Syndrome becoming more infectious?

JTT

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:04 pm
mysteryman wrote:
squinney wrote:
I got your phony soldier for ya, right here."

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/E/X/bush_badass.jpg

Actually, he isnt a "phony soldier".
He does qualify as a veteran, according to the DoD.

Just because you dont like him,dont try and say he isnt a veteran,when according to the military he is.

A phony soldier is one that claims to have served that didnt.

Perfect description of this guy. Yup, a true soldier among soldiers.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:35 pm
Quote:
If you don't like the message, you attack the messenger, huh dys. Nothing new for you.

oh that approach worked just fine during the nuremberg trials. imagine some spammer telling people "don't hate the messenger!" what a great way to justify spewing a bunch of hateful, idiotic nonsense.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 11:07 pm
Re: Phony Soldier Syndrome becoming more infectious?
okie wrote:

I think also that besides phony soldiers, there are phony stories about war atrocities, a prime example being the Winter Soldier event,

http://eatthestate.org/08-07/VietnamWarCrimes.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 01:38 am
I suppose, 'phony soldiers' can be found everywhere and any time.
(Remember some stories about 9/11?)

I think, however, it's a mirror of society and peer groups.
In other societies, you find "phony good doers", "phony criminals".

And then, of course, you find those who talk about such, but never have been e.g. in the forces themselves.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:06 pm
JTT wrote:
okie wrote:

I think also that besides phony soldiers, there are phony stories about war atrocities, a prime example being the Winter Soldier event,

http://eatthestate.org/08-07/VietnamWarCrimes.htm

Your worthless article comes to the conclusion that since 18 troops may have been guilty of murder, assault, or dereliction of duty as members of some Tiger Strike Force, that he comes to the grand conclusion that "I can safely, and sadly, say that the "Tiger Force" atrocities are merely the tip of the iceberg in regard to US-perpetrated war crimes in Vietnam."

It is reporters like this that give journalism a bad name. Eighteen people and he hints at the same being perhaps common for the 2.7 million GIs that served in Vietnam? The article is worthless.

http://www.uswings.com/vietnamfacts.asp
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 11:46 pm

A group of delusionary individuals. That's right up your alley, Okie.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:49 am
JTT, if it doesn't fit your template, then it is delusional? If a story doesn't fit maybe the fiction of the Winter Soldiers in Detroit, it is delusional? Just who is delusional here. You might want to take a look in the mirror.

We have been fed garbage from the media for decades now about the Armed Forces, Vietnam, now Iraq, and what more can be expected from the likes of liberals that want to believe the worst about their own country? After all, they must have a severe hatred, guilt complex, or something, so it fits the template, so must be true. I for one am fed up with it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:52 am
Atrocities fit the template of war, plain and simple. It is delusional to think that there was ever a war prosecuted without them. I don't know what this thread is about, to tell you the truth, but it seems to me you're winding yourself up about nothing.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:05 am
True, atrocities occur in every war. The point of all this is that it has been blown way out of proportion, that there is a syndrome as "phony soldier," and along with that are false stories of atrocities, etc. etc. etc. The point of all this is that we are not getting an accurate picture or accurate reporting of war from the media.

This conversation was spurred by the subject of Winter Soldier and John Kerry on another thread. It is my opinion that we have not recovered from that fraud perpetrated onto the American people, that it created a false perception in the American conscience as a people and culture, and that perception has persisted to this very day. As a result, we still have out of balance and inaccurate reporting of the war, treatment of prisoners, and other issues. And it isn't helped by politicians like Kerry, Murtha, Durbin and others making over the top statements about what has happened.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:20 am
Ok, so can you give some present day examples of this phony soldier phenomenon? Or examples of how you see this playing out in present day? What false perception do we Americans have as a result of this, and how does it rank with false perceptions created by other public lies?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:27 am
Many. Quickly, how about Murtha accusing troops of atrocities, these troops then declared innocent, but in the meantime of first charges and innocency, the charges were damaging to our mission, slanderous of the troops, and just overall hurting us and the image of the military. These stories are hard to be undone, Free Duck. What if you are accused of murder when you are innocent? Would you like that?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:29 am
okie wrote:
Many. Quickly, how about Murtha accusing troops of atrocities, these troops then declared innocent, but in the meantime of first charges and innocency, the charges were damaging to our mission, slanderous of the troops, and just overall hurting us and the image of the military. These stories are hard to be undone, Free Duck. What if you are accused of murder when you are innocent? Would you like that?

Yeah, we all know that those military trials get to the objective truth of the matter.

You will note that there's no question that the soldiers murdered all those people; only whether or not the were following SOP when they did so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:31 am
Cyclops, try being a soldier without killing the enemy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:32 am
okie wrote:
Cyclops, try being a soldier without killing the enemy.

Innocent civilians sitting inside their houses eating dinner - women and children - aren't the enemy.

Of course, to those of your ideological bent, all Iraqis are enemies. Just to one degree or another. Right?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:42 am
They were found innocent, cyclops. Unless you wish to try them on hearsay and innuendo to fit your template that you want to believe, then get over it. You are a good example of the problem that has been created in the media by phony perceptions and beliefs about the military.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:48 am
okie wrote:
They were found innocent, cyclops. Unless you wish to try them on hearsay and innuendo to fit your template that you want to believe, then get over it. You are a good example of the problem that has been created in the media by phony perceptions and beliefs about the military.

Bull sh*t.

Do you deny that the soldiers broke into houses and started clearing them? No one else does.

Do you deny that the women and children were killed? No one else does.

All you deny is that the soldiers did anything wrong. That they were doing anything other then following orders. That's what the panel found; that they were following proper orders.

But the people are still dead, and it was American troops who killed them. You think the families of those people are just going to forget about that? That it makes it okay that a military court found that members of our military didn't do anything wrong when they murdered a bunch of civilians?

You're a great example of someone who is more interested in the US military looking good, then you are about Iraqi lives.

Please, honestly answer this question: do you give a f*ck, at all, about the people who were shot and killed that day?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:30 pm
The military cares more about Iraqi lives than you do, cyclops. They freed millions from the grip of a murderer, Saddam Hussein, and they risked their lives while doing it. As the following website points out, fighting insurgents or terrorists amidst a civilian population that has no problem telling children to strap bombs around them and go blow up a bus is not an easy task. It is difficult to tell the difference and unfortunate circumstances do arise, but unfortunate events is a long long way from convicting a man of murder, I'm sorry, cyclops, you are off your rocker if you believe it does. You might want to experience what those soldiers experienced before you start condemning soldiers as murderers, cyclops. Again, you are an example of a man that is totally naive and bigoted against your own country and your own military.

If a soldier is guilty of intentionally and wantonly murdering obviously innocent people, that is a separate matter.

http://www.justinsharratt.com/blog/
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:43 pm
okie wrote:

Which atrocities are you talking about, Haditha?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 03:28 pm
I think so.

Here is another example of a phony soldier story, the Jesse MacBeth, that claimed to have numerous atrocities against Iraqis, all fabricated. He had flunked out of training. Cyclops claimed why would anyone do this earlier on this thread. I don't know, cyclops, all I know is it happens. The people are psychotic or they have some kind of self destructive guilt complex or something, or they hate the country, or they simply want to do a scam to get some money somehow, I don't know.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274097,00.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 08:20 pm
If you're talking about Haditha, okie, then you should know that the troops were not declared innocent. Charges were dropped against some of the soldiers, others are still pending. There is a great deal of evidence that the massacre in Haditha did, in fact, occur, so I'm not sure how it fits in with your phony soldier hypothesis.
0 Replies