People behave differently when they wear different clothes?

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:17 am
Just wondering....... Idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,470 • Replies: 54
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:22 am
Sure! When I have full professional regalia on -- suit, heels, etc -- I switch into a different mode than when I am bumming around in jeans and a t-shirt.

If I am wearing something that I really really like and really feel comfortable in -- a favorite dress, say -- that can affect my mood and how I behave, too.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:46 am
Most definitely. For trips to the pub, it's as casual as I get (jeans or shorts, college t-shirt, sneakers). When I go to the opera (much less frequently, I assure you), more formal garb is the order of the day. And less drinking, too...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 11:10 am
Personally, I act pretty much the same.

However, I betcha those freaks who are sometimes dressed like a guy, and other times dressed like a chick...I bet they act different.
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 11:14 am
Poeple includes the newborns, the children, the youths, the adults, and the old men..... Will individuals on every stage of life all feel the same way ? I wonder not....

What is the source, the root of the difference? Is that the children do not have the perception as much as we do? LOL or just they dont care or choose not to care about that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 11:22 am
I have always felt that way, and my grandmother felt that way until she died in her late 80's -- the intervening generation didn't care much, and she always thought of that as one of her legacies to me. Smile From when I was very very little I would put a flower in my hair, or delight in a sequins-and-feathers circus costume (REAL circus costume) that a friend of the family gave me.

I noticed this with my daughter from a very early age, too -- like under one year -- she would ask for the "beautiful flower dress".

Note, this is not about fashion or trends or brand-names per se, just a certain joy in beauty, including clothes.
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 11:42 am
The children: The golden childhood that is !!! Laughing
^
^
The youth: try to set ourselves in jail?
^
^
The adult: in jail and wanna out?
^
^
The old men: The golden second childhood that will be!!!

Is that what complex sociaty shape us to be like that? Shocked
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 11:54 am
I was following up to now...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 12:00 pm
amethyst, your last post is confusing to me. What do you mean by the youth trying to set themselves in jail, and the adult in jail wanting to get out, and how does it relate to clothing? There are reasons why jails and private schools force people to wear the same clothes. It is an attempt to enforce discipline, based on a somewhat misguided psychological theory. Let us know what you are getting at here....the question is intriguing. Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 12:06 pm
Hi amethyst! Nice to meet you.
I certainly think you behave differently in different clothes, a fact played upon by companies with uniforms, and schools. When you are in uniform, often it makes you feel more 'work-like', and less likely to mess about than if you are in leisure clothes. Again, a nicely cut outfit can make you feel more confident and walk taller Smile
And then the clothes you wear can affect the behaviour of those around you. If you ever have to go shopping at a peak time when everyone normally gets in your way, put on a suit and watch the crowds part like the Red Sea; people seem to think that those in suits are more important, and will even open doors for you! Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 12:12 pm
Before we go there, just let me say that, like everyone else, the answer to the original question is most-definitely yes. Professional garb puts me in a professional state of mind. Sexy summer sandals bring out the girl in me. My jeans with the big hole in the knee takes me back to 1969 and I'm just starting high school. Look out! I just might give that cop the finger.
Okay so Amethyst, whaaddaya mean?
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 12:17 pm
PS I'd say that children's behaviour is affected by clothes from about age two onwards. Dressing up and party clothes Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 03:04 pm
Is it the children's behavior that is affected or is it the lavish attention afforded to them when wearing the clothes? Is that favorite party dress a favorite because of the dress or because of all the positive attention drawn to the child when wearing the dress?

Does receiving a compliment while wearing an outfit make that outfit one of our favorites? Do we have favorite outfits that don't have outside influences attached to it?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 03:37 pm
I have noticed that women dressed in lingerie behave in a different manner than when they are dressed otherwise.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:04 pm
Well, I think, this might well be with most people.

I just look different.

I've only two jackets: one for funerals, weddings, round birthdays etc., the other to please mother, wife and for ministers.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:05 pm
C'mon, Craven..who are you kidding? Like you've ever been in the company of women dressed in lingerie.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:10 pm
Thinkzinc wrote:
I'd say that children's behaviour is affected by clothes from about age two onwards. Dressing up and party clothes Smile

Children, at least most of them, identify their gender mainly by their clothes!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:10 pm
We all know Slappy prefers to be in the company of the lingerie, sans woman, and preferably soiled.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:13 pm
Like there's something wrong with that?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:24 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
C'mon, Craven..who are you kidding? Like you've ever been in the company of women dressed in lingerie.

Damn Slappy, you've pegged me. But I saw it on TV once.
0 Replies