Norton found a virus

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 06:03 pm
does it matter WHERE I save it?
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:06 pm
Monger wrote:
Yup, the timing is a coincidence as viruses can't make your hardware die. If it is your hard drive making the clicking sounds, it's not a question of if it will go, but when. I had to replace my office puter's HD 2 weeks ago cuz of the same problem.

I know this is not what you meant but viruses can be programmed to try and overclock hardware which in turn could ruin it, not in this case but in general. It's not common but in theory is possible.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:24 pm
Good point
Thanks safecracker, that's true, though I've never heard of an instance where this happened to someone. (PS: littlek this wouldn't apply to a harddrive. By the way, there's a chance it wasn't your HD making the noise.)

I've also heard strictly in-theory ideas of viruses sending strange write commands super fast to certain positions on old harddrives, in an attempt at getting it to scratch its own platters. Dunno if it's ever been pulled off.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:28 pm
littlek wrote:
does it matter WHERE I save it?

Yup, it's gotta be "boot.ini" in your "C:\" folder. Just open your boot.ini file again, replace all the text and save.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:39 pm
I've seen it done on a older machine that did not have a good heatsink but I've never heard of it on a newer machine.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:24 pm
uhoh, I think I have to change a setting or delete the old boot.ini file first.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:45 pm
is it telling ya it's read-only or sumting?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:45 pm
read only, yep.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 11:51 pm
right click the folder, click Properties, uncheck read-only, click Apply, and then click OK

or do it this way

To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions

Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder for which you want to set permissions.
Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
Do one of the following:
To set up permissions for a new group or user, click Add. Type the name of the group or user you want to set permissions for using the format domainname\name, and then click OK to close the dialog box.
To change or remove permissions from an existing group or user, click the name of the group or user.
In Permissions, click Allow or Deny for each permission you want to allow or deny, if necessary. Or, to remove the group or user from the permissions list, click Remove.
Notes

To open Windows Explorer, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
You can set file and folder permissions only on drives formatted to use NTFS.
To change permissions, you must be the owner or have been granted permission to do so by the owner.
Groups or users granted Full Control for a folder can delete files and subfolders within that folder regardless of the permissions protecting the files and subfolders.
If the check boxes under Permissions are shaded, or if the Remove button is unavailable, then the file or folder has inherited permissions from the parent folder."
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 06:14 am
safecracker wrote:
right click the folder, click Properties, uncheck read-only, and then click OK

lil'k, that's the way to go but youse might wanna just go to properties for the boot.ini file, cuz since it's in the root folder, well, changing the read-only attribute for C:\ would affect every file on your hard drive.

And there'll probably be no need for ya to mess with any file or folder permissions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:39 pm
ok, I think I got it....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:11 pm
Allow me another stupid question, please?

My housemate has purchased a router so can connect to my DSL wirelessly. We need the IP address. How do I find that?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:21 pm
The easy way is to contact your provider.

Or you can try this:

Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

Then you'll be in a DOS prompt thingie.

Use the command cd .. till you get to c:\> (or whatever your drive is).

Then type ipconfig /all

You will see a list that includes the IP address you were provided.

If you are trying to establish your IP on your home network that is different. Let me know of that's the case.

< yew so better have a bunch of girlfriends and beer lined up for my visit to Boston >
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:29 pm
or if you are connected to the net and not through a proxy go to www.whatismyip.com
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:37 pm
He he, my signature will do that for you too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 07:21 am
craven - sure, sure, lots of hot chicks, yep. It's a home PC network.

Wow, thanks safecracker - that was easy!

OK, now why does my desktop task bar keep flipping up to the right verticle without my telling it to?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:14 am
Right click on it and lock the taskbar. If you unlock it you can drag it to the side, make it big etc.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 04:43 pm
awsome sig line, craven.

I am not sure I follow. When I right click the task bar I have no way to lock or unlock.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 04:47 pm
Sorry, that was XP instructions. For you you'll need to right click, select properties, then lock it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 04:49 pm
I tried that already with no luck. But I did get it to lay down again.
0 Replies