Norton found a virus

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:45 am
I can copy the links if they're written out, but have no paste option to put them in the address line.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:56 am
Ctrl+V = Paste

littlek wrote:
I am not allowed to access any part of the norton anti-virus. Sub-categories 'status', 'scan for viruses' and 'reports' all are marked in red and none can be accessed by moi. I tried to run a recent virus fix download (for a worm) and it wouldn't run.

That is scarry sounding. I believe the latest versions of Norton Antivirus come on bootable CDs. Try starting up the PC with your antivirus CD in the drive. There should be a way to access the antivirus scanner from the resulting command prompt. Maybe someone here who owns a copy can give you more detailed instructions on this.

To deal with the virus there are a number of things you could check for, but without the virus's name it'll be difficult to provide instructions that don't involve a lot of sleuthing on your part.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:02 am
sozobe wrote:
If you're looking it up, DON'T go to the Microsoft Update website:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/washpost/20030812/ts_washpost/a46233_2003aug11

Sozobe, that is very bad advice. DO go to the site. This worm is targeting Microsoft Updates because Microsoft updates are the innoculation for it. Microsoft Updates are NOT the problem. This worm launches DoS attacks from infected computers AT Microsoft Updates to prevent others from fixing their computers.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:05 am
My bad, I didn't realize that had already been pointed out.

Lil'K What version of Norton do you ahve? I am writing up some things for another virus right now but afterward I'll post instructions on how to post the logs.

Note that some viruses attack the well known AV programs and that might have happened to you. If you can get the logs and post what you had we can help you find a removal tool.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:07 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10468

That's it littlek. It's another a2k discussion which you may have already seen.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:21 am
I lost A2K too! Whew, scary. I'm going to have to go to work shortly. I'll see if i can find the norton CD......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:23 am
Re-installing......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:23 am
"window installer could not be accessed"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:30 am
ctlV does not work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:34 am
Can't copy this, so I'm typing it out..... shorthand-ish.

SECURITY DESCRIPTORS STATUS
"corrective actions were not written to the disc:
correcting errors in the Master file table's (MFT) bitmap attribute
correcting errors in the volume bitmap
Norton disk doctor found problems with the file system
run norton disk doctor and check the fix errors option

trying the last line.......
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:34 am
Ctrl+V is the universal windows shortcut to paste text. You can also right-click the address bar and click paste.

---
If you restart the PC and are then still are unable to run programs (as seems to be the case now), that would mean you'll either need to run Norton AV from a boot prompt or post the AV logs here like Craven mentioned (so we can try to see what virus you have) in order to make any progress.

Please note that if this virus has deleted key Windows files, restarting the PC will leave you unable to get into Windows anymore, which would mean you'd need to reinstall it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:36 am
the OS or another process currently has exclusive access to the drive, or some of it's drives.......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:36 am
will reboot.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:37 am
littlek wrote:
Can't copy this, so I'm typing it out..... shorthand-ish.

SECURITY DESCRIPTORS STATUS
"corrective actions were not written to the disc:
correcting errors in the Master file table's (MFT) bitmap attribute
correcting errors in the volume bitmap
Norton disk doctor found problems with the file system
run norton disk doctor and check the fix errors option

trying the last line.......

If running norton disk doctor doesn't fix that problem, well you're in for a wild ride, littlek. Start trying to back up your important data right now.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 12:46 pm
I don't really have a way to backup anything.

I tried to restart 3 times with no luck. I shut the computer down, but had to do it by doing a restart and shutting it down before it got to loading windows (where it hung up 3 times previously). So, I'll turn it on when I get home from work and see what happens.

At this point I'm using a sssssssslooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww Mac at the house I work at.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 12:48 pm
I dunno even what would be important to back up. My bro-in-law could help if he weren't so busy. I do have the windows discs and did figure out (I think) how to use the Norton CD to my advantage. Maybe just a hair too late.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:50 pm
I can't download anything from the windows updates site. My hotmail is still acting funny. I still can't cut, copy and paste. But at least I can otherwise run the computer, for now.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:43 am
It almost sounds as if your hard drive is full. I wonder if the virus duplicated so many files on your hard drive that you've run out of space.

I think what you need to do is go to the Norton website and run the online virus scanner from there. It sounds like your anti-virus program has been corrupted by the virus.

If the online virus scanner finds a virus, follow any instructions it gives you to attempt the removal.

If you still have troubles, I would wait for your brother in law's help before trying to do anything more to the computer. The more you fiddle with it and alter the file structure, the more difficult it will be to correct it.

Until you've removed the virus, be sure you don't send any file attachments in email to anyone else. You'll spread the virus to them if you do. In fact, if you've recently sent any file attachments such as photographs or other files in email to anyone, you might alert them to your virus situation so they can checkout their own computer.

What type of problems are you having with Hotmail? It may be detecting the virus on your computer and not allowing you access to how you normally use it.

When you describe the problems, keep in mind that you are acting as our eyes for us. Describe them as if you were telling it to a sight impaired person helping you to solve the problem.

Here's the website to have Norton do an online virus scan of your computer. http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 07:54 am
Butryflynet posted Norton's online scanner above. Here's a link to McAfee's as well:

http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

(since you can't copy & paste, you'll have to type either http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp or the mcafee address into the address bar manually)

Butrflynet wrote:
In fact, if you've recently sent any file attachments such as photographs..

emails can spread viruses, email attachments with a variety of filename extensions can spread viruses, attached photographs can not.

I wrote:
Start trying to back up your important data right now.
littlek wrote:
I dunno even what would be important to back up.

Since you're already infected, the only important things to back up at this point would be any personal files & emails you want to keep.

Lil'k, a friend of mine just got off the phone with me describing the same symptoms you have (paste command disabled, Norton AV disabled, etc.)

Norton AV had reported he had 3 viruses: W32.Tzet.Worm, BAT.Boohoo.Worm, and another one whose name he couldn't remember. I have a hunch the boohoo worm is the culprit for this problem.

He said after unplugging from the Internet then rebooting he was able to use Norton AV again. Unfortunately, after Noton did it's thing, & he even went to the symantec security center & did the manual removal they listed, he's still having problems. He has since installed Zone Alarm (from www.zonelabs.com) which is at least preventing the remnants of the worm from "dialing out".

What version of Windows are you using? Maybe I can help you check which virus you have by tracking down individual files. I don't use Norton so I can't help you posting scan logs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 08:05 am
Sympathy, Li'l k!
0 Replies