Norton found a virus

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 08:05 am
Hey all thanks again to everyone.

I tried to reboot using my windows disc and they said there was no hard drive to boot from (or something), but here I am. I did finally run the norton AV and it apperently found nothing after that one virus that started this whole thread. Of course I didn't write the name down.

I search for boohoo and tzet......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 08:28 am
My computer won't allow me to search.

I checked for virus and over-all PC health at pcpitstop.com. Got ok marks. There was a yellow flag at the 'internet' category. Pcpitstop found no virus.

Here's an error message I keep getting:
"svchost.exe had generated errors and will be closed by windows...."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 08:35 am
I begin to suspect that the easy way might be to just format the hard drive and start over. My question is, how much can you back up without backing up the virus, worm, whatever. Assuming we can boot up and not get kicked off the computer before the format completes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 08:47 am
I'm not getting booted off, roger. I am having a major problem with windows. I can't access windows in any form. Not through the start menu, not through the internet.

I just got this message when I tried to reload symantec:
"Windows Installer Service could not be accessed....."
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 09:15 am
Roger, you have the MSBlast worm (also known as W32.Blaster.Worm or LovSan). Craven detailed removing that virus over here.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 09:26 am
Yup lil'k, problems with svchost.exe are also being reported by my friends who have the same virus as you. I suspect that if you try to use Windows Media Player to play movies right now, you'll get 'memory full' related errors (this is being caused by the damaged copy of svchost, I believe). You're actually now the 5th person I've spoken to today with this same damn virus! Problem is, no one can tell me for sure what virus it is, so it's difficult for me to help since a) I don't run Norton AV and don't know where it saves scan logs, and b) I can't look at the machines.

Again, what version of Windows do you have?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 09:55 am
I have 2000 professional.

I just tried to reinstall windows, but got stop errors. I was finally able to run the WinDoctor (Symantec) and fix problems it found. But, still, I've found no viruses......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 09:57 am
I can now C&P and use the search function!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 10:18 am
lost the c&p function..... grrrr. Pcpitstop says my PC health is medium. Certainly nothing to indicate that it found anything serious.

I did run searches on the tzet and boohoo viruses and found nothing.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 10:36 am
Monger wrote:
emails can spread viruses, email attachments with a variety of filename extensions can spread viruses, attached photographs can not.

I've never seen proof of concept but I've read that they now can.

Viruses that disable the AV program are hard to deal with. Removal tools are often targeted as well and are shut down and deleted.

Some viruses infect random files with a special focus on the ones in your "My Documents" folder etc. Usually the ones that do this are the ones that use the random file to send other people the virus.

So if it's one of those knowing what to backup can be hard (one tactic is to email them to a webmasil server that has an online virus scan and scan them one at a time when you want to restore).

Because of that it's essential for us to know what virus it is.

In Norton do this:

• Open Norton AV
  • Look for a button labeled "Reports" and click it
  • Then click "Activity Log"and copy and paste (or type) the contents of that box here (you can print it out and if you have a printer connected you should).

Here's to hoping the virus didn't delete the logs. To give informed advice we would need to know what we are dealing with.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 10:37 am
And BTW, if you have run online scans with no results it might be that the virus was simply deleted. And the problems you are having are that what was deleted were critical files. Just another possibility.

We need them thar logs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:04 pm
k, you have really more than just my sympathy!!!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:13 pm
k!!

yikes

finger crossing, luck and all that

now..stop banging you head against the wall Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:01 pm
Craven - I can't get into the logs. When I click "reports" I get no response at all.

Thanks walter.

Q, not banging my head yet. Dunno where this patience is coming from.

Still no word from my bro-in-law........
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:04 pm
lil'K

In that case you'll probably just have to format and resinstall. I can't tell you what registry entries to delete etc without knowing what virus it was.

You said you had tried to re-install windows but was thwarted. You should do a format and install from the windows CD.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:08 pm
I didn't do a format, but I did try to install from CD.

How do I format?

I'm sorry I'm so ignorant - I'm sure you have many other things you should be doing than helping lil ol me. Silly sounding, but I do appreciate this very much.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:11 pm
Ok, I'll write you up something. Windows 98 right?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:13 pm
2000, professional.

thanks aren't enough.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:15 pm
I had to formate yesterday as well (without having got a virus). It's not so difficult, littlk, but might be some work later re-installing the software
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:23 pm
No, windows seems to be very user friendly.

ok folks, I have to go, the tiny tot will be awake soon and this slow connection is making me nuts!

I'll be back online later........... (hopefull)
0 Replies