Format and do a clean install of Windows 2000
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 04:53 pm
Thank you little puffy white thing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 10:37 pm
Yeah!!!!! I can click links! Yeehaw! Ok, bedtime.....zzzzzzzzzzz....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 10:58 pm
GREAT!!! Welcome to back again, littlek! :wink:
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:54 pm
woohoo!!!!

and patience too???

Are you a pod person?

Wink

Good to hear it gal.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 05:41 pm
well, now I still have a good many questions.

º There seems to be a lot of windows stuff in my trash can - does it belong there?

º I have Ultrahal half way off my computer and can't figure out how to uninstall it entirely. I've looked all over for the uninstall.exe.

º When I start up my computer, I have a choice between windows 2000 and windows 200 STARTUP. If I go with the startup I get a stop error message. If I go with the regular W2K, I go to a check disk (black screen) which I can go through or opt out of. How do I make startup just go with out having to jump through hoops to get from power up to my desk top?

º What is this "GoBack" I installed. Do I want it unenabled (seems I do, but....) or do I want it enabled?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 06:06 pm
Might actually be a good place for windows stuff.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 06:07 pm
heeheehee
I am not a fan of windows, but they saved my butt last night. Or rather, they saved my computer's butt.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 11:59 pm
So, any ideas about what I should do about the above list of problems?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 12:11 am
Quote:
º When I start up my computer, I have a choice between windows 2000 and windows 200 STARTUP. If I go with the startup I get a stop error message. If I go with the regular W2K, I go to a check disk (black screen) which I can go through or opt out of. How do I make startup just go with out having to jump through hoops to get from power up to my desk top?

Has the check disk been able to complete successfully? If so, does it itemize any problems?

If you haven't allowed the check disk to complete, doing so may solve that problem for you.

If not, I'll have to leave further action to the guys who are more expert at this then I am. When I run into problems like you are having, I usually just reformat the hard drive and reinstall and restore backups rather then deal with the frustration of cleaning it up.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 01:51 am
littlek wrote:
well, now I still have a good many questions.

º There seems to be a lot of windows stuff in my trash can - does it belong there?

From your other comments it seems you've been installing various software recently. All I can say since I dunno what files are in your recycle bin is that it's possibly a harmless result of that.

littlek wrote:
º I have Ultrahal half way off my computer and can't figure out how to uninstall it entirely. I've looked all over for the uninstall.exe.

If the problematic installation/uninstallation of UltraHal was done after you installed GoBack you could go back before that point. Just make sure you don't restore to a point where you still had the virus. You could also reinstall ultrahal, after which you should be able to uninstall it properly.

littlek wrote:

Did you just reinstall Windows? This thread over here has info about dealing with your boot.ini file (which is where that menu is coming from): http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9972

littlek wrote:
º What is this "GoBack" I installed. Do I want it unenabled (seems I do, but....) or do I want it enabled?

I would leave it running, personally. GoBack can restore your PC to the exact state is was in at certain points in the past, in the event of computer trouble. Windows ME/XP comes with a program that does the same thing, called System Restore.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 08:22 am
Thanks Monger! I did end up reinstalling ultrahal to uninstall it. It worked.

I still don't get goback. I was afraid that enabling it would mean I'd goback to the point were I was when I had the virus and problems. Because that's when I downloaded it and had it fist enabled. Maybe after I feel a little more like my computer is running perfectly, I'll re-enable it.

I don't have backups, so reformating would be the last ditch effort. I did let the check run and it did so succesfully several times. I'll let it go again next time I reboot.

Gold stars all around, especially to monger and craven! Thanks again.
http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/graphics/Drusy-Gold-Star-1.gif

I'll go check that other A2K thread......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 09:46 pm
My hard drive (or something in that box) is continuously running and clicking. Making me nervous. It all works, but something is still wrong. I really really don't want to reformat!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 10:45 pm
littlek wrote:
My hard drive (or something in that box) is continuously running and clicking.

Littlek, sorry to say this but you don't need to reformat--what you need is a new hard drive. Them little jelly babies who run around in your 'puter making everything work are losing their ability to stay syncronized with the spinning disks. Sometime relatively soon you'll turn on your PC & your hard drive will be a thing of the past. You may be able to get a bit more time out of it (though your programs will prolly start running gradually slower and weird disk access errors may start popping up), but if it were my machine I'd backup everything right now and not let anything reboot it until that was finished.
You can find good huge 80GB hard drives for $100 bucks these days, but yeah you'll have to set up all your programs on it from scratch.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 10:49 pm
hmmmmmmmmmmm. But it all just started with the virus this week. Just a coincidence?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 11:00 pm
Yup, the timing is a coincidence as viruses can't make your hardware die. If it is your hard drive making the clicking sounds, it's not a question of if it will go, but when. I had to replace my office puter's HD 2 weeks ago cuz of the same problem.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 06:07 pm
After start up this am, windows update sent over a file. It installed (without a yea or nay from me, I think) and since then, everything has been about normal. I installed the firewall.....

The non-stop running abated. The disk fragmentation spiked from 95% to 99%. No problems.

Just one more question (hopefully). You (monger, I think....) gave me advice on how to not have a start up option ("W2K" vs. "W2K startup"). I followed your advice, opened the notepad file. I got a bunch of text and don't feel comfortable deleting part of it without asking for guidance. I know it's the last bit of text, but how much of it? Where do I start? Thanks!

Code:[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Setup"
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 11:51 am
Hey lil'k,
Okay I rewrote it slightly:
Code:[Boot Loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Save it as your boot.ini file and that'll get rid of the menu. (for others that read this note this is made for a particular setup--it won't work in many other cases)

Is your HD still making weird noises?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 06:01 pm
Thanks Monger (how ever many times I've thanked you - it never seems adequate). The hard drive is at peace for now. Seems quite content all around. very odd.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 06:02 pm
I'm about to save it..... a bit scared..... here I go....
0 Replies