Europeans have longer holidays than Americans

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:18 pm
Does this matter, asks The Economist:

Quote:
THE United States may have a beefier economy, better universities, a more potent popular culture and an incomparably mightier military, but Europeans are quietly confident that they have the edge in one crucial respect. They enjoy longer holidays.
In August, the height of the holiday season, much of Europe simply closes down.

Complete article:
A holiday from history

In Germany, a federal law ("Federal Holidays Law"/BUrlG), which is part of Labour law, say in § 3, that everyone in Germany gets at least 24 days holidays, that are in the sense of this law all days, which are not Sundays or public holidays.

Additionally, we have in Germany - depended on the state you live, better: work - between 9 and 13 public holidays.

Public holidays in the EU:
Austria 13
Belgium 11 + one day in Wallonie and Flandre
Denmark 9
Finnland 14
France 10
Germany 9 regulated federally, others depending state law
Greece 12
Irland 9
Italy 11
Luxemburg 10
Netherlands 7
Portugall 13
Spain 10
Sweden 11
UK 8
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,943 • Replies: 22
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:29 pm
Doesn't seem to much different on the actual holiday count. In the US we have 10 Federal holidays. Some states (not all) have one or two of their own too.

We of course, don't have the guaranteed 24 days of vacation time. That varies from person to person. Usually the longer you work with an employer the longer your paid vacation time is. In my case I have 15 vacation days and 8 "personal days".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:31 pm
Probably a good thing, too, Walter, given your weather right now . . .

Just how hot is it, Boss?

I just had to ask . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:38 pm
fishin

I don't think, anyone just gets 24 days, 28 and more is the rule (I got 32).
Additionally, you get in most states 14 days educational leave.

Setanta

Highest temparature at my place was 35.4°C (95.7°) today. (Now, 10:40 pm, it's 29.9° [85.8°])
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:52 pm
Yup. I know Walter! I was always amazed at the lines of cars heading to Spain in the summer when I was over there.
0 Replies

owi

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:56 pm
Re: Europeans have longer holidays than Americans
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Austria 13

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 03:07 pm
I know, all the others are 'Wimmerl' compared with you happy mountain race. :wink:
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 03:10 pm
Walter wasn't there a European Law passed a few years ago that said people in general snouldn't work more than 48 hourd a week.
A o f people in Uk said we'll work the hours we want too. Typical reaction I spose
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 03:14 pm
Might even be that it is less by now.

Quite funny reaction, IMHO, however, since this law regulates that you get overtime payings when working longer.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 04:01 pm
I think the Europeans know something we don't. It just seems so much smarter to have the majority of folks all off at the same time then scattered through out the year. Makes it much easier to anticpate and gear up/down for the supply and demand for goods, materials and services and doesn't stress the workforce for the entire year while they try to cover for absent co-workers.

It is probably a safe bet that absenteeism is also lower in Europe since you can easily coordinate your vacation time with others rather then have to call in "sick" to be able to spend time with relatives or friends during their vacation.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 04:04 pm
Butrflynet wrote:

It is probably a safe bet that absenteeism is also lower in Europe since you can easily coordinate your vacation time with others rather then have to call in "sick" to be able to spend time with relatives or friends during their vacation.

That's what I doubt. (I don't have any statistics at hand, and since it's after midnight, I'm noz going to search any :wink: )
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 04:14 pm
This is one thing in which Europe is better than anywhere else. After vacations, people are often pepped up, and work better.
Another thing about them is that they do exercise their leisurely rights.
Worst of all is that some countries, like Mexico, tend to imitate the US, and not Europe, in that particular category. The average Mexican worker works 45 hours a week, and has 6 days vacations during the year. We also have the stupidest school schedule, on the equation more school days = better school system. My duaghter finished third grade on early july; she's back to school next monday.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 09:00 am
I heard abt this one American who just started his 35 days of vacation just last week! What's his name again???

Dubya?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 09:07 am
15 vacation days plus 20 personal days - just a couple more than fishin' got :wink:
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 09:12 am
When I used to work in the business, I just did not have the time to take my full quota of holidays.....This must be the first time in my career that I am going to take them fully...

apart from the public holidays, I get 27 working days leave !!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 04:18 pm
Oz ges more holidays than the USA, too.

Our standard is four weeks a year - six for some people (like nurses) on permanent shift work.

We also, if we work for the same employer, get long service leave - 10 days per year for the first ten (but you cannot take them for 7 - 10 years) - then 12 per year for a bit, then 15 (that is actual days, not working days).

The place sort of closes down a bit for summer - at my workplace we take it in turns to run a skeleton staff for the two weeks that things DO tend to shut down - it all depends on when you want to take leave - but the place must be staffed, with more than one clinician, all the time - (because of the sort of crises we get).

We do not get paid overtime, but we can get time off in lieu - which makes life more flexible. Not all workplaces have this system, by the way.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 04:35 pm
4 weeks holiday a year
5 weeks for shift workers.
10 weeks long service leave after 10 years service and five weeks more each five years worked.
Paid overtime with penalty rates-normal day overtime is time and a half for the first 2 hours, then double time for each subsequent hour. Sundays is straight double time. Public holidays is double time and a half.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 07:49 pm
Where can i apply ?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 08:07 pm
All the benefits listed above have been won by unions. These benefits flow on eventually to everyone, even those hypocrytes who criticize unions while taking advantage of their work.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 08:12 pm
I know the bunch of whom you speak, we have the same variety of weasel in the undergrowth here, which is odd, as our flora and fauna are so otherwise dissimilar . . .
0 Replies