parents of 3 Kings or Queens?

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 10:25 am
I don't know about that, Boss, but the name Cleopatra is a Macedonian name, so a good deal of confusion can arise. Cleopatra was the mother of Alexander III, known as "the Great" (my achin' ass, he was a homicidal maniac).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:59 am
Piffka wrote:
C. 1070 AD: Malcolm III, King of Scotland and Margaret (later St. Margaret) are married, possibly at Dunfermline by Fothad the Culdee (Celtic) Bishop of St. Andrews. The marriage produced eight children, six sons and two daughters. Three of their sons Edgar, Alexander I, and David I, became Kings of Scotland.

My sources are in conflict on this: Malcolm III may have fathered five kings of Scotland. In addition to the ones identified by Piffka, there was also Edward (reigned 1093) and Duncan II (reigned 1093-94). Considering the short reigns, and the fact that Edward and Duncan's uncle, Donalbane (Donald VIII), succeeded them, I'm guessing that the late 1090s in Scotland was a fairly tumultuous and confusing time period.

Also, Vratislav II, king of Bohemia (1061-92) was succeeded by four of his sons: Bretislav II, Borchivoj II, Vladislav I, and Sobeslav I.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 11:42 am
While leafing through the sites of my reprint of the 1877 Grote ...
.. I just remembering - more really an aside - that the founder of the town where I live, Bernhard II of Lippe, was consecrated by his three sons [the bishops of Utrecht (Otto), Paderborn (Bernhard) and Bremen (Gerhard)] as Bishop of Semgallen (1218) - a fact, never happened before or afterwards in the catholic church.
0 Replies

Orjan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 10:40 am
dov1953 wrote:
I believe that Cleo had a daughter named Cleo and this second Cleo became the Queen consort of the King of Mauretania. I may be confusing Macedonia with Mauretania. Drunk

As far as i know Clepatra had one son with Julius Ceasar (Ceasarion) and four children with Marc Anthony. Ceasarion and the oldest son with Marc Anthony were killed by Octavian. The remaining two sons and one daughter (Serena) were adopted by the imperial family, and Serena later married king Juba of Macedonia.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 01:05 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Malcolm III may have fathered five kings of Scotland. In addition to the ones identified by Piffka, there was also Edward (reigned 1093) and Duncan II (reigned 1093-94). Considering the short reigns, and the fact that Edward and Duncan's uncle, Donalbane (Donald VIII), succeeded them, I'm guessing that the late 1090s in Scotland was a fairly tumultuous and confusing time period.

Cool, Joe from Chicago, good history dredging! I just happened upon my reference with no real or deep knowledge of the time. I'm guessing you're right but it seems kind of sad... they had six sons and all but one became king? Let's see that would be Kings Edgar, Alexander, David, Edward, Duncan and Prince Whozits. <shaking head at the tragedy of Scottish Royal Life>
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:59 pm
Setanta -- Re: your comment about Alexander the Great:

Alexander III of Macedonia was born in 356 B.C., on the sixth day of the month of Lous. He is known as Alexander the Great because he killed more people of more different kinds than any other man of his time.

Will Cuppy, The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody (© 1950)
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 12:39 am
Embarrassed Ferdinand I of Castile had 3 sons that were kings; Sancho II, Alfonzo VI and Garcia. Constantine I of the later Roman Empire, bequeathed his empire to his three sons. I only remember at the moment that all 3 sons had a name that began with something similar to Constan.
0 Replies