Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:43 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Wow, Mame, I'm seeing a whole new side of you! LOL

Mame is a constant source of surprise.

She's a wild woman.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:49 pm
That may work for your for particular feet. Enjoy.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 07:03 pm
Nike Free, huh?! I'll check them out. Thanks for the lead on a possibly good sensible shoe. Foot issues, posture issues and mechanics are so individual and variable.

Signed (former shoe salesman 38 years ago),
Alternative Russ
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 07:12 pm
Thanks, Chai - you gave me a new sig line Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 06:44 am
ossobuco wrote:
I don't have 250 to spend on shoes - like soz, before she bought new shoes, I'm working on an old pair of nike air max, best for my own odd feet.

(Nope, still have the old ones. Found some cheap Air Pegasi, maybe.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 06:53 am
Just read this whole thread... my first Major Shoe Purchase was a pair of Fluevogs, circa 1994 or so. With angelic soles -- little angels carved in. Swirly sides, lace-up. This was when docs were still big but fading, and Fluevogs were way cooler.

I loved those boots.

Sigh.

(Wore 'em into the ground, gone now.)

I've read about Nike Free, they look interesting. One thing I seem to remember is that they're meant to be used on forgiving surfaces -- sand, grass, that kind of thing -- not so much for pavement-pounding. I'll see if I can find the article I'm thinking of.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 06:58 am
Either I'm thinking of a different article, or didn't remember the specific caveat right...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/23/fashion/thursdaystyles/23Barefoot.html

Quote:
First I ran in bare feet, then in the Nike Free 5.0 and finally in Nike's most popular cushioned shoe, the Pegasus. The amount of impact, Dr. Davis found, was significantly higher during the Free and barefoot sessions. But slow-motion video replay revealed that I was landing on my heel then slapping down my forefoot. My right foot was twisting outward, while my left knee was dipping to the right. These irregularities were nearly invisible, but severe enough to aggravate my twingey Achilles.

By learning to land on my midfoot, I could correct these problems, Dr. Davis said. But I should be careful, she warned, because tinkering with a new gait can suddenly load the heel and Achilles with unaccustomed stress and cause a whole new set of injuries.

The Nike Free "should be the first shoe sold with an instructional DVD," Dr. Hartmann said. "You have to respect that this shoe can revolutionize the way people run, and no revolution comes without its casualties."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 05:08 pm
soz: That's exactly my problem with "latest trend" athletic shoes. many years I had to have my Achilles tendon surgically repaired due to the very same type of problem you underlined. That is precisely why, even with expert opinion, things can still blow up on you.

Caveat emptor.
0 Replies

MLei

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:36 pm
Ok I just want to respond to a couple things said within this thread. First off..Chung Shi's are exclusive to Foot Solutions in the United States.
Secondly, you can stop in a Foot Solutions throughout the nation and try on these shoes AND try them on outside on the sidewalk. The reason we do the sidewalk test is so that you can feel the difference from carpet to cement. These shoes are made for hard surfaces and a lot of people that wear them are nurses, teachers, mechanics and etc that are standing on hard surfaces for long periods.
Third..There is a 2 week policy at our store and at almost all stores I know of [though Foot Solutions is a franchise so I can't really speak for them all] and it is not special for anyone unfortunately...the pedorathist that trained me are from Texas and trained at the Austin, Texas location.
I could continue on this subject but I do not want to get into the controversy of how the shoe works for the people that they do work for. This is something I do all day long and while I'm at home I like to not think about work so much. I happened to cross this thread, however, and just wanted to clear up a couple of things.
0 Replies

haase7788

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:07 am
@Chai,
I just puchased a pair of chung shi shoes for a heel problem. I've had heal pain for 4 months with nothing helping. I put them on a 6pm and wore them till 5 am with little or no pain. It was wonderful. I could feel them work my legs but they said this happens. So far great shoe even though they cost so much. It takes a little time to get use to walking in them but I got the ones that are 15 degrees or a little less as each stile is diffrent. I paid $245 plus tax at foot solutions is Fargo ND.
0 Replies

bartay98

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 02:15 pm
I have a pair of their Level 1 Comfort Step Trekker Sandals ($235) and they are NOT comfortable at all.
I bought them from Foot Solutions , and I would have returned them if I could have.
roger

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:12 pm
@bartay98,
Thanks for posting that because I wanted a chance to brag about my own new sandals. I got the SAS Bravo, and it's totally comfortable right from the git-go. Haven't done long, hard walks in them, and probably won't. The places I go for walks have gravel and loose sand, which has been an issue with every sandal I've owned.

They look remarkably like Birkenstocks, but the resemblance is superficial. Birkies have your heel lower than the ball of the foot. More comfortable foot bed, too. I've never been happy with that, and a name brand physical therapist confirmed my impression. Also, SAS uses a very soft, lined leather for the uppers. List at $140.00, but the local shoe store found out they couldn't move sandals at that price in this town, so I got them at $70.00.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:51 pm
@roger,
Good buy, Roger..
0 Replies

Shrugs

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 06:39 pm
@Chai,
Why, indeed, Chai? Why, indeed...
0 Replies

Richard49

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 08:20 pm
Hi to all, a year and half ago I had back surgery that went bad. I have a damaged Sciatica Nerve which in turn gave me what is called Flop foot. I cannot when I walk roll over my toes to get a push when I am walking, which in turn makes me dip hard to the left side and also began to give me many other leg and knee problems.
I could not walk without the aid of a walker for over 3 months,I then graduated to a cane. I was looking for Orthopedic grade shoes to help me attempt to walk as normal as possible. I went to Foot Solutions and they Recommended Chung Shi walking Shoes.
I am Extremely pleased with the results the shoes have given me. I walk almost completely normal and I can jog at a 5 mile an hour pace, which to anyone "Normal" may be slow but it is a Great accomplishment for me!!
It has rebuilt my Glutes and the calves and thigh muscles which were all but loose and flabby. I would recommend these to anyone. It did take a while for my muscles to adjust to them. But I saw immediate resuls within two weeks of wearing them.
Creegal

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 05:26 pm
@Chai,
So how'd they work out? I'm curious
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 05:56 pm
@Richard49,
Shoes are more important than many people think. Not only about the feet but while walking. Many don't experience problems while young, but comfortable shoes makes all the difference when we reach adulthood.
My favorite shoes are made by Rockport, because they are comfortable, and I can walk all day long with them. I also have Massimo sandals that are very comfortable.
0 Replies