Drivers Licenses & Illegal Immigrants

gollum

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:08 am
I read in today's New York Times that unlicensed drivers are almost five times more likely to be in fatal crashes than people with valid driver's licenses.

Assuming that is true, my question is what causes an unlicensed driver to be more likely to have an accident? And if you give such persons drivers licenses, what will cause their accident propensity to go down?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 828 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:12 am
Re: Drivers Licenses & Illegal Immigrants
gollum wrote:
I read in today's New York Times that unlicensed drivers are almost five times more likely to be in fatal crashes than people with valid driver's licenses.

Give a link to source, please.

gollum wrote:
Assuming that is true, my question is what causes an unlicensed driver to be more likely to have an accident? And if you give such persons drivers licenses, what will cause their accident propensity to go down

Their attention is focused on spotting cops, not driving...
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:19 am
Drivers Licenses & Illegal Immigrants
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/22/nyregion/22licenses.html?ref=nyregion
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:39 am
Have you noticed that many of the unlicenced drivers had their licence suspended for DUI or akin offenses?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:46 am
Re: Drivers Licenses & Illegal Immigrants
gollum wrote:
Assuming that is true, my question is what causes an unlicensed driver to be more likely to have an accident?

Are you f'n serious?

MAYBE: 1) doesn't speak English, can't understand street signs, 2) has not had any form of driver training, 3) has not had to pass test for driver's license, so has no clue what the road rules are, 4) road rules from their country are different than here, 5) they do not have keen sense for the obvious, like you.

This is answering your thread title...however you're off assuming all unlicensed drivers are illegals, too, even though there are a ton out there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 09:12 am
Sorry I can give you a source, but common sense suggests that some of these "unlicensed" drivers are people whose licenses have been suspended.

Sometimes you have to ignore all the laws to drive drunk.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 09:44 am
Surprising to me. If my license were pulled, I would be driving like Mr. Careful.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 10:37 am
Roger--

I would also be a very conservative, law-abiding driver if I were transporting large quantities of illegal drugs from one part of the country to another.

If I were the mastermind of a drug ring, I'd make couriers pass a driving test--unless I wanted sacrifical animals out on the highways while the
"real" couriers...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 10:39 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Sorry I can give you a source, but common sense suggests that some of these "unlicensed" drivers are people whose licenses have been suspended.

Sometimes you have to ignore all the laws to drive drunk.

You just couldn't leave Miss Spears out of this thread, could you?

Of course most 'unlicensed' drivers don't have papparazi following them around snapping pictures.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 11:29 am
Miss Spears?

I was thinking of our local crud--and their cousins on the Interstate who drive red cars (often unregistered and uninsured) well above the speed limit with and without contraband on board, with and without driver's licenses.

Sometimes they're drunk, sometimes they're high--and sometimes they are Damn Fools.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 11:36 am
Noddy24 wrote:

Sometimes they're drunk, sometimes they're high--and sometimes they are Damn Fools.

All Britney, all the time..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 11:50 am
Parados--

Doesn't Britany have her own thread?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 11:53 am
roger wrote:
Surprising to me. If my license were pulled, I would be driving like Mr. Careful.

I don't know about that roger. Some people drive around without a license with the mind set of "what do I have to loose? I can't loose my license."

I had a car totaled by someone without a license, she had to run a red light (that had been red for some time) to do it. Funny thing is, she had the opportunity to stop, there was time for us to look each other in the eye as I saw her coming, I saw her car start to brake, then she just abandoned the attempt and came on at me.

By the time the police arrived, she had concocted a whole new story. Long story short, it was her word against mine.

I'm sure she's driving around still today. Fines? Who cares, that's only if they can figure out where she's really living.

In fact, I see drivers all the time that I stay backed off from by the way they are driving, because I figure they could be unlicensed and just don't care.
0 Replies