The Jena 6

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 01:10 pm
Re: The Jena 6
happycat wrote:
How will all these protests help? Wouldn't it be better if a fund were set up to raise money so that these black kids could get outside, competent legal help to resolve this in a proper manner?

Doesn't the immediate appearance of Rev. Al and his arm-locking marches, turn the whole thing into a circus with the possibility of inciting racial violence, and making even more trouble for the small town of Jena?

Protests draw attention to a problem that is otherwise not getting proper notice (at least in the eyes of the protesters).

The thought that it would be better to establish a support fund (there is at least one such fund) infers an either/or situation. Protests don't preclude offering financial support and offering financial support doesn't preclude participating in a protest. Caring people sometimes have money but no time, others have time but no money, still others can support viable causes with both time and money.

I'm not a big fan of either Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, but the only circus going on in Jena, LA appears to be taking place inside the courtrooms and the office of the Prosecutor's office. The idea that a peaceful protest will (I realize you said 'possibility') result in racial violence depends entirely on the responses of the people of Jena and it's surrounding communities (see Alexandria story above).

I disagree with the premise that the people who got on buses and rode throughout the night to offer support and bring attention to an injustice did so to have a photo-op with either Reverend. I have no idea when Sharpton first became involved in the situation but groups have been working on bringing attention to this case since December (hence the NPR updates). One blog I read included a statement from a white resident of Jena on August 28th that Mr Sharpton 'has been visiting'. The timing of yesterday's rally was to coincide with the scheduled sentencing of Michal Bell. The timing was set prior to the case being overturned by the appellate court last week. There has been a lot of media attention in the past few weeks, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been a lot of involvement by concerned citizens beforehand.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 01:37 pm
New update, but no additional information on today's bond hearing.

Quote:
JENA, Louisiana (CNN) -- Mychal Bell, the sole defendant who remains behind bars from the group of teens known as the "Jena 6," will not be released Friday, a court decided. CNN
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 02:37 pm
fishin wrote:
And there are several hundred WWW site out there that have different versions of each of these events than what you've listed here.

oralloy wrote:
The black students went and held a peaceful sit-in under the tree. And the police were called in to disperse them.

Interestingly, this is the 1st I've seen of any mention of this. It isn't listed on any of the WWW site I've looked at in the last 2 days - most of which support the Jena 6. According to the NPR report this sit-in was what kicked off the student assembly. There is no mention of it being broken up by the police or anyone else.

I got it from wikipedia. Perhaps that was a mistake. It didn't survive the huge volume of edits over the past day, but here is an earlier edit from before that line was taken out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jena_Six&diff=next&oldid=159083831

fishin wrote:
oralloy wrote:
A couple days before this incident a group of black kids were beaten up for trying to attend a whites-only party. One had a bottle broken over their head. Instead of being charged with attempted murder, the bottle breaker was not charged at all at the time (eventually he was charged with simple assault).

Might the fact that the guy wasn't charged immediately have something to do with the fact that the kid who had the bottle broken over hos head didn't report it for several days have had something to do with the timing of the charges?

What explains the charges being simple assault as opposed to attempted murder?

fishin wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The guy they beat up later took a rifle loaded with 13 rounds to school. He was arrested and released on $5,000 bond.

You neglected to mention that "later" is 4 months later (so it wasn't exactly a "heat of passion" type of event) and that the gun was found in his truck which was parked in the school parking lot. The rifle belonged to him (so it wasn't stolen) and no one claims to have been threatened with it. Press reports also state that ammo was found in the truck along with the rifle but here is no mention anywhere of it being loaded. Yes, he did break the law by bring a firearm onto school property. That's the only offense there however. Are you trying to say that possesion of a firearm that wasn't used is the same as an assault and battery?

I think it's noteworthy that the penalty that the white student got was so light.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 02:55 pm
oralloy wrote:
What explains the charges being simple assault as opposed to attempted murder?

A lack of intent perhaps?

oralloy wrote:
I think it's noteworthy that the penalty that the white student got was so light.

What penalty should he have gotten?

RS 14:95.2:
§95.2. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at school-sponsored functions or firearm-free zone

A. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon as defined in R.S. 14:2, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at a school sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone is unlawful and shall be defined as possession of any firearm or dangerous weapon, on one's person, at any time while on a school campus, on school transportation, or at any school sponsored function in a specific designated area including but not limited to athletic competitions, dances, parties, or any extracurricular activities, or within one thousand feet of any school campus.

B. Blah, blah, blah (Lots of dsefinitions...)

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:
(1) Blah
(2) Blah
(3) Blah
(4) Blah
(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78741

IOW, under LA law having a firearm in your car on school property isn't a violation of the law so I'll retract my earlier comment - he did NOT break the law. Do you still think the penalty is noteworthy?

I'll have to dig into this one further. You had claimed he had been arrested for this but I'll see if I can find what the actual charge was.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:35 pm
Re: The Jena 6
happycat wrote:
However, I'd be willing to bet that a fairly large percentage of the people participating in the mass protests don't even know what they're protesting about. I think many of them just join in because Rev. Al Sharpton is there, and they think if he's part of it, it's a good time to rally against the whites.

I'd be willing to bet that a fairly large percentage of the people participating in the mass protests know precisely what they're protesting about. Beyond the particulars of this case and the inequities within the legal system they are also protesting against the mindset of hate and 'alternative' definitions of justice.

Quote:
Also on Friday, the FBI said it was looking into an online posting by a neo-Nazi white supremacist group that published the home addresses of all six of the African-American teenagers, as well as the phone numbers of some. The group said on its Web site it is calling on followers to "let them know justice is coming." CNN
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 06:48 am
According to the La Salle procecutor, the protests only were peaceful due to "the direct invention of the Lord Jesus Christ".

Online source
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 06:57 am
gungasnake wrote:
90% Or more of the problems blacks experience living in America would evaporate into mist within two years of the demoKKKrat party being outlawed and banned.

yeah, so would 90% or more of the blacks, if you're any indication of what's opposing the left... fancy calling them "demoKKKrats" when everyone in the kkk is a rabid conservative. if you say it over and over again, do you find it becomes true?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 07:05 am
Meanwhile the dollar heads for parity with the Mexican Peso...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 07:17 am
From Walter's link --

Quote:
Meanwhile, the district attorney whose prosecution of the Jena 6 sparked the protest declared that only through the intervention of Jesus Christ was Jena spared from a "disaster" last week when more than 20,000 African-American demonstrators marched peacefully through the town.

"I firmly believe that had it not been for the direct intervention of the Lord Jesus Christ last Thursday, a disaster would have happened," LaSalle Parish District Atty. Reed Walters told a news conference.

When a black Jena pastor attending the news conference called it a "shame" that the prosecutor was crediting divine intervention for the orderly behavior of the demonstrators, Walters, who is white, said: "What I'm saying is, the Lord Jesus Christ put his influence on those people, and they responded accordingly."

Ay, yi, yi!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:50 am
Here's a good article, gives some good points you don't read in every other cookie cutter article:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/284511.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 08:32 am
Quote:
Doctor who paid Jena teen's bail not an activist

Out-of-towner offered support out of concern over DA's actions

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, September 29, 2007
From Wire Reports The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS - Dr. Stephen Ayers didn't join a massive civil rights march to support the so-called Jena Six, but he played a unique role in freeing one of the six black teenagers charged with beating a white classmate.

Dr. Ayers, who lives about 135 miles from the small central Louisiana town where more than 20,000 protesters gathered last week, posted the bond that let 17-year-old Mychal Bell go home for the first time in 10 months.

Dr. Ayers, 42, of Lake Charles said Friday that he isn't politically active and isn't one to "get into things like this," but felt compelled to help Mr. Bell's family.

"I was concerned about what was going on up there and thought the district attorney was a bit harsh in his treatment of Mr. Bell," Dr. Ayers said. "I really thought it was overkill."
Source/Full report
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 09:11 am
I dislike some of the posturing Sharpton and Jackson have become known for; there has always been much theatre and self-aggrandizement about both of them that I dislike. However...

I can't disregard the fact that but for Sharpton and/or Jackson, there would have been many injustices that would have gone unaccounted for, or underreported.
(got Cuomo to appoint a special prosecutor in the Howard Beach case, fought for and got attention for Diallo case and a $3M award to the family, got attention to the Navy bombing in Vieques Puerto Rico, leading fight to eliminate homophobia in the black church, founded National Action Network and got many more black voters out, and there are many other worthwhile things...)
All anyone who has decided to hate Sharpton and Jackson remembers about them are Tawana Brawley and "hymietown".

Sharpton and Jackson were instrumental in getting Governor Blanco mobilized and involved in the miscarriages of justice in Jena. I don't care for their styles a lot of the time, but they fight for some causes that no one else will.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 09:24 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Here's a good article, gives some good points you don't read in every other cookie cutter article:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/284511.html

I agree with much of this, Slappy. Particularly about deadbeat dads and preventative involvement in kids lives as opposed to trying to pick up the pieces after the fact. Jackson (and I am not a big fan of Rev Photo-op) has regularly included these as parts of his addresses. The problem I have with him is that I've seen little of the same energies given towards solutions to these problems as given to being on-camera.

Whitlock's pitch for Big Brothers-Big Sisters is fine, it's certainly a step in the right direction, but I'd rather see a pitch for responsible parenting. In the meantime, the inequities in the courtrooms related to race are real and are the real message in this case. The fact that he was in court to begin with is one issue. How he was dealt with once there is another.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 04:10 pm
An all white jury hides the executioner's face
Is this how we are, me and you?
Everyone needs to know their place
And here we thought this blackbird was hidden in the flue

Oh oh oh Jena
Oh oh oh Jena
Oh oh oh Jena
Take your nooses down

So what becomes of boys that cannot think straight
Particularly those with paper bag skin
Yes sir no sir wipe that smile off your face
We've got our rules here and you've got to fit in

Oh oh oh Jena
Oh oh oh Jena
Oh oh oh Jena
Take your nooses down

Hey some way sanity will prevail
But no one knows when that day will come
A shot in the dark, well it might find its way
To the hearts of those who hold the keys to kingdom come

Oh oh oh Jena
Oh oh oh Jena
Oh oh oh Jena
Take your nooses down

Oh oh oh Jena
Oh oh oh Jena
Oh oh oh Jena
Take your nooses down

-John Mellencamp
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 12:41 pm
The Jena case did not get any media attention on this side of the pond (as far as I know) until the protest march and especially the subsequent utterances of the public prosecutor. It was bemusing to many here how deeply ingrained the open racism still is in some communities of the USA. (Racism exists everywhere, of course, just like fringe lunatics like KKK thugs, but for it to exist this publicly and unashamedly in the country of Martin Luther King in the 21st century is surprising to say the least.)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 08:49 pm
To say the least.

And I live in Louisiana, Lord help me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 05:52 am
Questions about the jailing of Jena defendant in today's Chicago Tribune ...

Quote:
Jena 6 teen's return to jail draws queries
Judge's probation ruling called 'revenge'

By Howard Witt | Tribune senior correspondent
October 13, 2007

HOUSTON - Civil rights leaders and juvenile justice experts on Friday sharply questioned the legality of a judge's surprise decision to send back to jail a black teenager whose prosecution in a racially charged case helped inspire a massive demonstration in the small Louisiana town of Jena last month.

Attorneys for Mychal Bell, 17, said they would quickly appeal the decision made late Thursday by LaSalle Parish District Judge J.P. Mauffray to revoke Bell's probation and sentence him to 18 months in juvenile detention on two counts of simple battery and two counts of criminal destruction of property.

Bell's juvenile convictions on those charges preceded and were unrelated to a Dec. 4 assault on a white student at Jena High School for which Bell and five other black students, known as the Jena 6, are still awaiting trial in a case that national civil rights leaders say exemplifies unequal treatment of blacks in the mostly white town.

Mauffray's ruling Thursday night came just two weeks after he was forced to release Bell on $45,000 bond after the teenager had been jailed for more than nine months on the Dec. 4 charges. A Louisiana appellate court overturned Bell's aggravated battery conviction in that case on the grounds that Mauffray had improperly allowed the youth to be tried as an adult. The appellate court ordered the case back to juvenile court.

"This is judicial revenge," said Al Sharpton, one of the civil rights leaders who have taken up the Jena 6 case. "The judge was already defeated once by the appellate court, and now he's taking his frustrations out on Mychal Bell."

It was unclear why Mauffray decided to send Bell to jail on the prior charges. The judge has ordered all the proceedings in Bell's case to be closed and directed all the lawyers in the case not speak about it publicly.

Other experts on Louisiana's juvenile laws said that Mauffray's decision to jail Bell on the earlier charges appeared to run counter to the state's juvenile statutes.

"I don't know the motivation for this judge and the district attorney, but what they did goes against the grain of our own juvenile code, which holds that home and the community is the best place to treat juveniles," said David Utter, an attorney and founder of the Juvenile Justice Project of Louisiana. Utter is representing one of the Jena 6 defendants.
0 Replies

MC Kruger

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:57 pm
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:12 pm
Media myths about the Jena 6A local journalist tells the story you haven't heard.
By Craig Franklin

Jena, La.
By now, almost everyone in America has heard of Jena, La., because they've all heard the story of the "Jena 6." White students hanging nooses barely punished, a schoolyard fight, excessive punishment for the six black attackers, racist local officials, public outrage and protests - the outside media made sure everyone knew the basics.

There's just one problem: The media got most of the basics wrong. In fact, I have never before witnessed such a disgrace in professional journalism. Myths replaced facts, and journalists abdicated their solemn duty to investigate every claim because they were seduced by a powerfully appealing but false narrative of racial injustice.

I should know. I live in Jena. My wife has taught at Jena High School for many years. And most important, I am probably the only reporter who has covered these events from the very beginning.

The reason the Jena cases have been propelled into the world spotlight is two-fold: First, because local officials did not speak publicly early on about the true events of the past year, the media simply formed their stories based on one-side's statements - the Jena 6. Second, the media were downright lazy in their efforts to find the truth. Often, they simply reported what they'd read on blogs, which expressed only one side of the issue.

The real story of Jena and the Jena 6 is quite different from what the national media presented. It's time to set the record straight.

Myth 1: The Whites-Only Tree. There has never been a "whites-only" tree at Jena High School. Students of all races sat underneath this tree. When a student asked during an assembly at the start of school last year if anyone could sit under the tree, it evoked laughter from everyone present - blacks and whites. As reported by students in the assembly, the question was asked to make a joke and to drag out the assembly and avoid class.

Myth 2: Nooses a Signal to Black Students. An investigation by school officials, police, and an FBI agent revealed the true motivation behind the placing of two nooses in the tree the day after the assembly. According to the expulsion committee, the crudely constructed nooses were not aimed at black students. Instead, they were understood to be a prank by three white students aimed at their fellow white friends, members of the school rodeo team. (The students apparently got the idea from watching episodes of "Lonesome Dove.") The committee further concluded that the three young teens had no knowledge that nooses symbolize the terrible legacy of the lynchings of countless blacks in American history. When informed of this history by school officials, they became visibly remorseful because they had many black friends. Another myth concerns their punishment, which was not a three-day suspension, but rather nine days at an alternative facility followed by two weeks of in-school suspension, Saturday detentions, attendance at Discipline Court, and evaluation by licensed mental-health professionals. The students who hung the nooses have not publicly come forward to give their version of events.

Myth 3: Nooses Were a Hate Crime. Although many believe the three white students should have been prosecuted for a hate crime for hanging the nooses, the incident did not meet the legal criteria for a federal hate crime. It also did not meet the standard for Louisiana's hate-crime statute, and though widely condemned by all officials, there was no crime to charge the youths with.

Myth 4: DA's Threat to Black Students. When District Attorney Reed Walters spoke to Jena High students at an assembly in September, he did not tell black students that he could make their life miserable with "the stroke of a pen." Instead, according to Walters, "two or three girls, white girls, were chit-chatting on their cellphones or playing with their cellphones right in the middle of my dissertation. I got a little irritated at them and said, 'Pay attention to me. I am right now having to deal with an aggravated rape case where I've got to decide whether the death penalty applies or not.' I said, 'Look, I can be your best friend or your worst enemy. With the stroke of a pen I can make your life miserable so I want you to call me before you do something stupid.'"

Mr. Walters had been called to the assembly by police, who had been at the school earlier that day dealing with some students who were causing disturbances. Teachers and students have confirmed Walters's version of events.

Myth 5: The Fair Barn Party Incident. On Dec. 1, 2006, a private party - not an all-white party as reported - was held at the local community center called the Fair Barn. Robert Bailey Jr., soon to be one of the Jena 6, came to the party with others seeking admittance.

When they were denied entrance by the renter of the facility, a white male named Justin Sloan (not a Jena High student) at the party attacked Bailey and hit him in the face with his fist. This is reported in witness statements to police, including the victim, Robert Bailey, Jr.

Months later, Bailey contended he was hit in the head with a beer bottle and required stitches. No medical records show this ever occurred. Mr. Sloan was prosecuted for simple battery, which according to Louisiana law, is the proper charge for hitting someone with a fist.

Myth 6: The "Gotta-Go" Grocery Incident. On Dec. 2, 2006, Bailey and two other black Jena High students were involved in an altercation at this local convenience store, stemming from the incident that occurred the night before. The three were accused by police of jumping a white man as he entered the store and stealing a shotgun from him. The two parties gave conflicting statements to police. However, two unrelated eye witnesses of the event gave statements that corresponded with that of the white male.

Myth 7: The Schoolyard Fight. The event on Dec. 4, 2006 was consistently labeled a "schoolyard fight." But witnesses described something much more horrific. Several black students, including those now known as the Jena 6, barricaded an exit to the school's gym as they lay in wait for Justin Barker to exit. (It remains unclear why Mr. Barker was specifically targeted.)

When Barker tried to leave through another exit, court testimony indicates, he was hit from behind by Mychal Bell. Multiple witnesses confirmed that Barker was immediately knocked unconscious and lay on the floor defenseless as several other black students joined together to kick and stomp him, with most of the blows striking his head. Police speculate that the motivation for the attack was related to the racially charged fights that had occurred during the previous weekend.

Myth 8: The Attack Is Linked to the Nooses. Nowhere in any of the evidence, including statements by witnesses and defendants, is there any reference to the noose incident that occurred three months prior. This was confirmed by the United States attorney for the Western District of Louisiana, Donald Washington, on numerous occasions.

Myth 9: Mychal Bell's All-White Jury. While it is true that Mychal Bell was convicted as an adult by an all-white jury in June (a conviction that was later overturned with his case sent to juvenile court), the jury selection process was completely legal and withstood an investigation by the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division. Court officials insist that several black residents were summoned for jury duty, but did not appear.

Myth 10: Jena 6 as Model Youth. While some members were simply caught up in the moment, others had criminal records. Bell had at least four prior violent-crime arrests before the December attack, and was on probation during most of this year.

Myth 11: Jena Is One of the Most Racist Towns in America. Actually, Jena is a wonderful place to live for both whites and blacks. The media's distortion and outright lies concerning the case have given this rural Louisiana town a label it doesn't deserve.

Myth 12: Two Levels of Justice. Outside protesters were convinced that the prosecution of the Jena 6 was proof of a racially biased system of justice. But the US Justice Department's investigation found no evidence to support such a claim. In fact, the percentage of blacks and whites prosecuted matches the parish's population statistics.

These are just 12 of many myths that are portrayed as fact in the media concerning the Jena cases. (A more thorough review of all events can be found at www.thejenatimes.net - click on Chronological Order of Events.)

As with the Duke Lacrosse case, the truth about Jena will eventually be known. But the town of Jena isn't expecting any apologies from the media. They will probably never admit their error and have already moved on to the next "big" story. Meanwhile in Jena, residents are getting back to their regular routines, where friends are friends regardless of race. Just as it has been all along.

• Craig Franklin is assistant editor of The Jena Times.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1024/p09s01-coop.html?page=1
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 05:58 pm
"...where friends are friends regardless of race..."

-and where hanging nooses is regarded as a harmless prank, and it is business as usual to have a scetion of the schoolyard known as "the white tree", where the whites sit.
0 Replies