The Jena 6

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 05:47 am
Yes, it is a huge miscarriage of justice. I will not dispute that.
The whole situation is terrible, and sounds like something from decades past.
I hate that this sort of behavior and mindset still exists in our country.

The whites should have been punished for what they did, and the blacks should have been punished accordingly for what they did.

The Louisiana court system obviously sucks and needs to be revamped.

However, I'd be willing to bet that a fairly large percentage of the people participating in the mass protests don't even know what they're protesting about. I think many of them just join in because Rev. Al Sharpton is there, and they think if he's part of it, it's a good time to rally against the whites.

I know I'll probably get slammed for this post.

On last night's news I heard a statement by a young black woman who could not have been over 25yrs old (if that,) that "slavery is not dead in the south."
What does this have to do with slavery?

How will all these protests help? Wouldn't it be better if a fund were set up to raise money so that these black kids could get outside, competent legal help to resolve this in a proper manner?

Doesn't the immediate appearance of Rev. Al and his arm-locking marches, turn the whole thing into a circus with the possibility of inciting racial violence, and making even more trouble for the small town of Jena?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,180 • Replies: 42
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 05:56 am
Re: The Jena 6
happycat wrote:

Sounds like you're part of it, with your talk of "blacks" and "whites" and your "fund for black kids".
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:00 am
happycat wrote:
Yes, it is a huge miscarriage of justice. I will not dispute that.
The whole situation is terrible, and sounds like something from decades past.

The whites should have been punished for what they did, and the blacks should have been punished accordingly for what they did.

The Louisiana court system obviously sucks and needs to be revamped.

However, I'd be willing to bet that a fairly large percentage of the people participating in the mass protests don't even know what they're protesting about. I think many of them just join in because Rev. Al Sharpton is there, and they think if he's part of it, it's a good time to rally against the whites.

I know I'll probably get slammed for this post.

On last night's news I heard a statement by a young black woman who could not have been over 25yrs old (if that,) that "slavery is not dead in the south."

How will all these protests help? Wouldn't it be better if a fund were set up to raise money so that these black kids could get outside, competent legal help to resolve this in a proper manner?

Doesn't the immediate appearance of Rev. Al and his arm-locking marches, turn the whole thing into a circus with the possibility of inciting racial violence, and making even more trouble for the small town of Jena?

This town Jena has me nauseated. The Air Force should conduct a napalm strike on the white neighborhoods of the town. Mad

I keep thinking of "To Kill A Mockingbird".
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:02 am
Well, the whole thing is about white kids and black kids.

Should I say vanilla and chocolate? African-Americans and Caucasians?
What's wrong with mentioning color?

And, obviously the black kids didn't have good legal defense because they got the shaft in this case. The white kids were wrong, and the school was wrong for allowing those the kinds of things that went on there.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:04 am
oralloy - while I don't agree at all with your napalm suggestion Rolling Eyes it does smack of To Kill A Mockingbird.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:05 am
happycat wrote:
And, obviously the black kids didn't have good legal defense because they got the shaft in this case. The white kids were wrong, and the school was wrong for allowing those the kinds of things that went on there.

In addition to what you listed, the police and the prosecutor are wrong for being KKK racists.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:07 am
So what good will the protests do?
Has Al Sharpton ever made anything better by his presence?
Or does he just make people angrier, and more likely to turn away from the situation?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:18 am
happycat wrote:
So what good will the protests do?
Has Al Sharpton ever made anything better by his presence?
Or does he just make people angrier, and more likely to turn away from the situation?

If the nation is aware of an injustice, it is likely they will act against the injustice.

I've heard this story now and then over the past few months on National Public Radio, but because of this protest, everyone in the country knows about it now.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:27 am
It's hard to say what is going on in Jena at this point because pretty much every article wriiten on it glosses over many aspects of it or flat out misrepresents what went on.

For example, The Wikipedia article says that when things starte descalating the Jena police and DA addressed all of the school's students about it.

"According to some accounts, on September 5, 2006, a number of black students organized a peaceful sit-in under the white tree in response to the reduced punishment of the perpetrators. The protest was then dispersed by police. U.S. Attorney Washington, speaking in July 2007, stated he could find no confirmation of this protest occurring. He could confirm that police were called to the school several times in the days after the noose incident in response to a rash of interracial fights between students.

The principal called an impromptu assembly on September 6, 2006 in which students segregated themselves into white and black sections. The Jena Police Department asked LaSalle Parish District Attorney J. Reed Walters to attend and speak at the assembly. Walters was unhappy with the request because he was busy preparing for a case and, upon arrival, felt that the students were not paying proper attention to him. Walters is alleged to have threatened the protesters if they didn't stop fussing over an "innocent prank". He then went on to warn the students that he could be their friend or their worst enemy, and stated that "[w]ith one stroke of my pen, I can make your life disappear."Walters and school board member Billy Fowler, also present, deny that the comments were specifically directed at black students. Nevertheless, police began patrolling the halls of Jena High on September 7, and the school was declared to be in total lockdown the day after."

This blog however, claims things went very differently:

"The boys who hung the nooses were suspended from school for a few days. The school administration chalked it up as a harmless prank, but Jena's black population didn't take it so lightly. Fights and unrest started breaking out at school. The District Attorney, Reed Walters, was called in to directly address black students at the school and told them all he could "end their life with a stroke of the pen." "

It sounds like two entirely different worlds when you read the varying articles.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:40 am
happycat wrote:
Well, the whole thing is about white kids and black kids....

The basic common denominator I see in 90% of all such problems is the demoKKKrat party.

90% Or more of the problems blacks experience living in America would evaporate into mist within two years of the demoKKKrat party being outlawed and banned.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:40 am
fishin - which is what I meant in my first post; the only people that actually know what's going on there are the ones involved, the people in the town and state....and anyone that's been following this on NPR (like oralloy.)

I have to wonder how many of the protesters are there because they know the situation, or are they there only because it's the current protest by Rev. Al? Are they just blindly following his lead, or are they protesting with the knowledge of what truly happened?

Why didn't someone act on the problems in Jena long before it reached the boiling point? Where was Rev. Al then?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:51 am
Of course not all the protesters are going to be very educated on what's going on. Out of all those people, you're bound to have a good deal of morons.

Including Al Sharpton. He's a media whore who needs to go away.

There's not enough details out there on this. Yes, the white kids should have been punished more severely. However there's still a big difference between hanging nooses from a tree, and beating someone within an inch of their life. Because that happened shouldn't mean the assaulters should be left off the hook.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:59 am
fishin wrote:
It's hard to say what is going on in Jena at this point because pretty much every article wriiten on it glosses over many aspects of it or flat out misrepresents what went on.

For example, The Wikipedia article says that when things starte descalating the Jena police and DA addressed all of the school's students about it.

"According to some accounts, on September 5, 2006, a number of black students organized a peaceful sit-in under the white tree in response to the reduced punishment of the perpetrators. The protest was then dispersed by police. U.S. Attorney Washington, speaking in July 2007, stated he could find no confirmation of this protest occurring. He could confirm that police were called to the school several times in the days after the noose incident in response to a rash of interracial fights between students.

The principal called an impromptu assembly on September 6, 2006 in which students segregated themselves into white and black sections. The Jena Police Department asked LaSalle Parish District Attorney J. Reed Walters to attend and speak at the assembly. Walters was unhappy with the request because he was busy preparing for a case and, upon arrival, felt that the students were not paying proper attention to him. Walters is alleged to have threatened the protesters if they didn't stop fussing over an "innocent prank". He then went on to warn the students that he could be their friend or their worst enemy, and stated that "[w]ith one stroke of my pen, I can make your life disappear."Walters and school board member Billy Fowler, also present, deny that the comments were specifically directed at black students. Nevertheless, police began patrolling the halls of Jena High on September 7, and the school was declared to be in total lockdown the day after."

This blog however, claims things went very differently:

"The boys who hung the nooses were suspended from school for a few days. The school administration chalked it up as a harmless prank, but Jena's black population didn't take it so lightly. Fights and unrest started breaking out at school. The District Attorney, Reed Walters, was called in to directly address black students at the school and told them all he could "end their life with a stroke of the pen." "

It sounds like two entirely different worlds when you read the varying articles.

The escalation started when the school board overruled the principal's decision to expel the noose hangers.

The black students went and held a peaceful sit-in under the tree. And the police were called in to disperse them.

The day after that was when the prosecutor came to school and threatened to end the black students' lives with the stroke of a pen.

And then there was the white student who pulled a shotgun on some black students and was disarmed by those black students.

The white student was not charged. One of the black students was charged with "theft of a firearm, second-degree robbery, and disturbing the peace".

There were a lot of racist acts like that on the part of the police and prosecutors.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 07:13 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
and beating someone within an inch of their life.

He was not beaten anywhere near an inch of his life. He was knocked out and received some bruises. He was well enough to go out to a party the same day he was beaten up.

And he started the fight when he started shouting racial insults (including "the "N word") at the black kids.

A couple days before this incident a group of black kids were beaten up for trying to attend a whites-only party. One had a bottle broken over their head. Instead of being charged with attempted murder, the bottle breaker was not charged at all at the time (eventually he was charged with simple assault).

The black kids were held on bond in the neighborhood of $100,000, which meant they spent months in jail before their families could scrape together the money.

The guy they beat up later took a rifle loaded with 13 rounds to school. He was arrested and released on $5,000 bond.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 07:23 am
Sounds like a fun school to go to.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 07:54 am
And in little towns like this all over the South (all over the country actually), this attitude prevails. When people attempt to "step out of their place", sit where tradition says they're not supposed to sit, whether it's at the front of the bus in 1955 or a lunch counter in 1960 or under a particular tree in 2006, this is what happens. Black people are thrown under the jail while white folk see it as teaching them a lesson and keeping them in their place.

And I seriously doubt if any of those 1000's of people blindly traveled for miles and miles on busses and cars to a hot, dusty, little town to protest something they know nothing about. Would you?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 08:01 am
happycat wrote:

It's has to do with a slave mentality. The attitude many whites still have towards black people. That of a slaveowner, that black people are chattel. Property. Subhuman. Less than themselves.

It doesn't take a genius to understand what the young lady was saying. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:35 pm
And on it goes...

Quote:
ALEXANDRIA, Louisiana (CNN) -- A Louisiana city that hosted many of the "Jena 6" protesters Thursday became the site of a racially charged incident of its own.

A photo taken by I-Reporter Casanova Love shows a noose hanging from a pickup in Alexandria, Louisiana.

Authorities in Alexandria, less than 40 miles southwest of Jena, arrested two people who were driving a red pickup Thursday night with two nooses hanging off the back, repeatedly passing groups of demonstrators who were waiting for buses back to their home states.

The marchers had taken part in the huge protests in Jena that accused authorities there of injustice in the handling of racially charged cases -- including the hanging of nooses in a tree after a group of black students sat in an area where traditionally only white students sat.

The driver of the red truck, whom Alexandria police identified as Jeremiah Munsen, 18, was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor -- a reference to the 16-year-old passenger. Munsen also was charged with driving while intoxicated and inciting to riot, according to the police report.

As officials were questioning the driver, he said he had an unloaded rifle in the back of the truck, which police found. They also found a set of brass knuckles in a cup holder on the dashboard, the police report said.

The passenger told police he and his family are in the Ku Klux Klan and that he had KKK tattooed on his chest, the police report said. He also said that he tied the nooses and that the brass knuckles belonged to him, the report said. More
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:52 pm
And there are several hundred WWW site out there that have different versions of each of these events than what you've listed here.

oralloy wrote:
The black students went and held a peaceful sit-in under the tree. And the police were called in to disperse them.

Interestingly, this is the 1st I've seen of any mention of this. It isn't listed on any of the WWW site I've looked at in the last 2 days - most of which support the Jena 6. According to the NPR report this sit-in was what kicked off the student assembly. There is no mention of it being broken up by the police or anyone else.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12353776

Quote:
The day after that was when the prosecutor came to school and threatened to end the black students' lives with the stroke of a pen.

And as I stated in my original post here, thiere are several versions of this event. WWW sites that support the Jena 6 pretty much all say that the threat was made toward black students. All of the published news reports say that the entire student body was present when this comment was made and that it was directed at the entire student body - black and white.

From your comments in response to Slappy

Quote:
A couple days before this incident a group of black kids were beaten up for trying to attend a whites-only party. One had a bottle broken over their head. Instead of being charged with attempted murder, the bottle breaker was not charged at all at the time (eventually he was charged with simple assault).

Might the fact that the guy wasn't charged immediately have something to do with the fact that the kid who had the bottle broken over hos head didn't report it for several days have had something to do with the timing of the charges?

Quote:
The guy they beat up later took a rifle loaded with 13 rounds to school. He was arrested and released on $5,000 bond.

You neglected to mention that "later" is 4 months later (so it wasn't exactly a "heat of passion" type of event) and that the gun was found in his truck which was parked in the school parking lot. The rifle belonged to him (so it wasn't stolen) and no one claims to have been threatened with it. Press reports also state that ammo was found in the truck along with the rifle but here is no mention anywhere of it being loaded. Yes, he did break the law by bring a firearm onto school property. That's the only offense there however. Are you trying to say that possesion of a firearm that wasn't used is the same as an assault and battery?

I'm not saying that there isn't any racism going on here. There appears to be plenty of it coming from all sides. But your listing of events here is entirely slanted to one side.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 01:04 pm
JPB wrote:
And on it goes...

Quote:
ALEXANDRIA, Louisiana (CNN) -- A Louisiana city that hosted many of the "Jena 6" protesters Thursday became the site of a racially charged incident of its own.

A photo taken by I-Reporter Casanova Love shows a noose hanging from a pickup in Alexandria, Louisiana.

Authorities in Alexandria, less than 40 miles southwest of Jena, arrested two people who were driving a red pickup Thursday night with two nooses hanging off the back, repeatedly passing groups of demonstrators who were waiting for buses back to their home states.

The marchers had taken part in the huge protests in Jena that accused authorities there of injustice in the handling of racially charged cases -- including the hanging of nooses in a tree after a group of black students sat in an area where traditionally only white students sat.

The driver of the red truck, whom Alexandria police identified as Jeremiah Munsen, 18, was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor -- a reference to the 16-year-old passenger. Munsen also was charged with driving while intoxicated and inciting to riot, according to the police report.

As officials were questioning the driver, he said he had an unloaded rifle in the back of the truck, which police found. They also found a set of brass knuckles in a cup holder on the dashboard, the police report said.

The passenger told police he and his family are in the Ku Klux Klan and that he had KKK tattooed on his chest, the police report said. He also said that he tied the nooses and that the brass knuckles belonged to him, the report said. More

I sincerely hope this is an isolated example of the people in the area and can be credited with (18 yrs old and alcohol)
0 Replies