Family Therapy

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:58 pm
Quinn--

I'd keep the therapist out of this (if the family chooses your ultimatum as a session chat, sobeit). You are an outsider.

Definitely tell "Mom" that you must be moving on before you make the general announcement. I'm sure she's a lovely lady, but if she is unwilling to place a newspaper ad "Come and Get Your Pictures", she's also hanging on to the past--and setting an example for her offspring.

Are the kidlets blaming her for their present and past misery? Is this one reason she is unwilling to tell them, "Get a grip"?

You cannot cure this family--and they may be very happy in their nostalgic muddle (as long as you are there to do the financially necessary work). You can drive yourself bananas--which will not improve the situation.

Forward! Onward! Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 07:00 pm
Get out of it, Quinn. Your approach to life is very different to this family's and the only thing that can happen if you keep on helping, is that everyone will end up even more upset. They need to learn to cope - without you.

You don't need to let the therapist know what you're going to do. I recommend it, as when I did this type of work, there were times that I could present things to people in counselling in ways that didn't leave them angry at the 'you' in their lives. It's clearly your decision.

Good luck with extricating yourself from this.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:53 pm
noddy & ehbeth--appreciation..but, some things change before ya know it....

Seems all kinds of things have been going on lately, and my visits being less than they were in recent weeks have left me out of it....so...perhaps I wont have to do what I have been dreading and wondering about.
whew!
Mom got me alone to share with me some items. She swore, had some selfish remarks, asked me what my thoughts were, etc etc. VERY interesting indeedy. This whole holding my tongue thing has worked out well, and Mom is getting the picture on when I hold my tongue and why....however, she has now gotten to the point where it allows her to speak her mind openly and ask me questions she really would like some information on from a non family member. I feel much more at ease with discussing things with her now that she is thinking more for herself and what needs to be done. Not letting them push her around, deciding what she has to do for her life, speaking out planly and purposefully, bravo. And doing this while feeling badly after yesterdays treatment.
Also, the youngest sib, got me alone and shared her thoughts with me as well, and it seems shes getting a bit of the same feelings and thoughts...amazing what working through some things can do for your dose of reality. Shes also upset seeing first hand what and how her mother ends up coping with it all. ahhhhh, a bit of ease on the part of my worries, or at least an understanding compadre. I did have to spend time going over some things with her again but, I think at this point she is working through those grief feelings and getting it done just needs a refresher. Happy to have the assistance I tell ya.
Some things just take a wee bit more time and communication. And perhaps the therapy they have received so far has done some good, perhaps it will go on to where this family can stay together and share good times ... that would be nice. It still doesnt look good for the two older ones but, you know, its not my problem. They will have to work it out, suffer the wrath of Mom, or live with their choices later on, its sad but, what can ya do?
The tension right now due to these items of business and time constraints might just be the thing to get something done, in some way and I actually feel good that I didnt have to be in the middle of it...you know, some sore thumb or something.
The anniversary thing actually seems to be hitting a cord as well as in its been a year and things need to be done...great that someone else feels that way. Now, if only it does.
So, although against opinion, for the moment, I will continue in my trial of easing off, and providing guidance, as that is what Mom is looking to me for at the moment. Completing the bits and pieces here and there I need to which is just a bit of work now. Hopefully what I do see as improvements is a reality. I think so, really.
I think its a good step in the right direction at least. Thats something.

thanks for all your insight peeps, and thanksforlistening as always Smile

you never know..might be some more twists and turns that pop up here and Id appreciate some more!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 05:40 am
Quinn--

Marvelous!

Your Rock of Sanity costume worked!

How many shrinks does it take to change a lightbulb? None. The lightbulb has to want to be changed.

You will now be working with at least two cooperative lightbulbs--and can actually get something done!

Congratulations! If any of the lighbulbs flicker, feel free to vent!

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies