Wal-Martization of the American mind?

old europe

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 11:11 am
Foofie wrote:
But, based on your last sentence above, we have differing vested interests, and therefore shouldn't engage in discussion.

Oh yeah. That would be bad. Imagine where all of this might end up if people with differing interests would all of a sudden start discussing things with each other.

No. Bad.

Rather, discussion should take place in groups where all members have the same interest anyways. That way, nobody will get offended.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 11:46 am
that would be pretty bad, but not as bad as intellectual exercise, which seems to be on the "ungrateful" list as well.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 01:52 pm
nimh wrote:
Foofie wrote:
those who have no vested interest in Iraq, perhaps are just having an intellectual exercise, when discussing Iraq. That's the point, if one doesn't have a vested interest in a country, then one is, possibly, just having an intellectual exercise when discussing that country.

You're ignoring the fact that since the US, as you've proudly confirmed yourself, is the world's superpower, we all have a vested interest in US politics. Because whatever you do, affects us all, and quite directly and heavily.

President Bush has made the world a very different place than President Gore would have, and all of us, in Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and Africa feel the consequences in various gravitating ways. So it's hardly just an "intellectual exercise" for us either.

You are correct! And, I hope your correctness lasts many millenia. As the saying goes, "From your mouth to God's ears."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:08 pm
Foofie wrote:
nimh wrote:
Foofie wrote:
those who have no vested interest in Iraq, perhaps are just having an intellectual exercise, when discussing Iraq. That's the point, if one doesn't have a vested interest in a country, then one is, possibly, just having an intellectual exercise when discussing that country.

You're ignoring the fact that since the US, as you've proudly confirmed yourself, is the world's superpower, we all have a vested interest in US politics. Because whatever you do, affects us all, and quite directly and heavily.

President Bush has made the world a very different place than President Gore would have, and all of us, in Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and Africa feel the consequences in various gravitating ways. So it's hardly just an "intellectual exercise" for us either.

You are correct! And, I hope your correctness lasts many millenia. As the saying goes, "From your mouth to God's ears."

Then you agree that they not only have a right to speak, but a responsibility; and that you have a responsibility to take them seriously, without questioning their points of origin or implying that somehow they aren't valid participants in the conversation.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:09 pm
old europe wrote:
Foofie wrote:
But, based on your last sentence above, we have differing vested interests, and therefore shouldn't engage in discussion.

Oh yeah. That would be bad. Imagine where all of this might end up if people with differing interests would all of a sudden start discussing things with each other.

No. Bad.

Rather, discussion should take place in groups where all members have the same interest anyways. That way, nobody will get offended.

That's a keeper. I'm going to use it for a while.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:17 pm
Thanks friends for your views.
I read all the views with rapt attention. And I respect your viewpoints as well.
I am not an Americanized wall-marter
I am a well intentioned globalized Karlmarxer with Gandhian approch

I had started this thread with a quote from an American who speaks the human language which I identify without ifs and buts.
Once again I beg your pardon if my views are not that of yours.
Respects without regrets
Rama
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:34 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foofie wrote:
nimh wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Then you agree that they not only have a right to speak, but a responsibility; and that you have a responsibility to take them seriously, without questioning their points of origin or implying that somehow they aren't valid participants in the conversation.

Cycloptichorn

I don't know what you mean by the term "seriously" or "responsibility"?

I agree non-U.S. citizens can be participants in any discussion, relative to the U.S. However, since I am viewing the discussion from another perspective, by having a different vested interest in the U.S., I don't have any responsibility to give credence to any other position than my own position. In other words, we are all free to disenfranchise anyone's postion, based on our own position.

Sort of like the perspective of the undocumented workers from Mexico in the U.S. They might argue that they have a right to work in the U.S., since their ancestors were here to greet Christopher Columbus. But, many U.S. citizens say they have no right to be in the U.S., without appropriate papers. Each side, in effect, is disenfranchising the position of the other side. Who's right? That's not the issue, probably. They either get to stay, or will be deported one day? Who knows? So, regarding our respective positions relating to the U.S., we can, and do, believe our positions reflect a correct position, and we each disenfranchise the position of the opposing side. Voila, I agree to disagree!

P.S. I only said my position is good for me to practice (a subjective position). I've never proselytized it for everyone. However, I believe, I've been proselytized to, relative to other's positions (a supposed objective position). You know, like some religions proselytize, and a few don't! Proselytizing might just be a cultural facet that some people can't shake.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:37 pm
Quote:

I agree non-U.S. citizens can be participants in any discussion, relative to the U.S. However, since I am viewing the discussion from another perspective, by having a different vested interest in the U.S., I don't have any responsibility to give credence to any other position than my own position. In other words, we are all free to disenfranchise anyone's postion, based on our own position.

You have a responsibility to evaluate arguments based purely upon their own merit, if you wish to be a member of this forum who is taken seriously. Several times you have either insinuated or directly said that you either discount or desire not to discuss American politics with non-Americans. That's your right, but you'll quickly find out that nobody will engage you in conversation, as it's not our policy at A2K to disparage logical arguments which come from foreigners.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:00 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

You have a responsibility to evaluate arguments based purely upon their own merit, if you wish to be a member of this forum who is taken seriously. Several times you have either insinuated or directly said that you either discount or desire not to discuss American politics with non-Americans. That's your right, but you'll quickly find out that nobody will engage you in conversation, as it's not our policy at A2K to disparage logical arguments which come from foreigners.

Cycloptichorn

I never said "disparage," nor do I disparage. I just don't validate the opinion.

I believe my opinion might be more "valuable," than many non-U.S. citizens, since my attitude is shared with quite a few people in the conservative states. It might help folks in other countries, in trying to understand the U.S., to get such a candid view of how a percentage of the U.S. voting public thinks. God Bless America!
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:04 pm
Excuse me please.
I have no patriotic views.
I love my wife who is very religious.
I hate hypocracy and love deceny and democracy.
I can pariticipate in other forums whith the same name and views.
I am not here to score a point or to belittle others critical views.
Let us share our views with decency.

"Rauchen fügt Ihnen
und den Menschen in Ihrer Umgebung
erheblichen Schaden zu"
How about
"Falsche politik"?

Rauchen kann tödlich sein.
Yes like hypocrcy and devoid of civil courage.
I am notorious in Abuzz .
Notorious in the sense not a tome dick and harry.

let me appeal to all the intellectuals to see the reality and picturize not the artificial dreamy world.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:08 pm
Foofie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

I never said "disparage," nor do I disparage. I just don't validate the opinion.

I believe my opinion might be more "valuable," than many non-U.S. citizens, since my attitude is shared with quite a few people in the conservative states. It might help folks in other countries, in trying to understand the U.S., to get such a candid view of how a percentage of the U.S. voting public thinks. God Bless America!

What gave you the idea that they didn't know how a Conservative American thinks?

Perhaps it's the ever-shrinking supply of them....

Perhaps you will find it to be 'valuable' to get a candid view of how people in other countries think.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:22 pm
Fine! Just please stop typing your name at the end of your posts. We know who the poster is.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:31 pm
Foofie wrote:
Fine! Just please stop typing your name at the end of your posts. We know who the poster is.

I am not in the habit of writing letters without signing them, even if my name is on the envelope. If you don't wish to look at the name at the end of the post, my suggestion would be for you to disregard it.

In almost 13k posts you are the first to mention it, I might say.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:38 pm
No one in this forum doubts about the decency of others.
Let us be civil and confront/contradic/ confirm the subject of the thread please.
0 Replies