Surgery--Again

alex240101

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:59 pm
@jespah,
Jespah. Bruise the mint, add it to cane sugar and lime juice.....
I have tonic, rum, and a shaker.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:10 pm
@alex240101,
Checking in.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:10 pm
@caribou,
caribou wrote:

Does it help with your money situ? Did you still have to pay for the botched attempt?

If it's none of my business, please say so. Don't mean to overstep...

Absolutely have to pay. You're not overstepping nuttin'.
caribou

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:33 pm
@Roberta,
Well, It's great that you won't have to pay for the radiation!

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:08 pm
Roberta, you have a hard row to hoe, but you have a plan of action and you seem pretty ok with it. I am in awe with your attitude.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:29 pm
@littlek,
I was going to say, Roberta, you have a hard row to hoe, but you have a plan of action and you seem pretty ok with it. I am in awe of your attitude.

But, now I feel it is not necessary.

Joe(hugsqueezehug)Nation
jespah

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:46 pm
@alex240101,
You're singing mah song.

Hugs to R., of course.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:54 pm
@Joe Nation,
Oh wow! I said something you might say? I am awed anew.
sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:06 pm
@littlek,
Well I was mad at the hospital after the whole non-tumor-getting surgery thing followed by the give-the-woman-her-glasses-already thing, but I like them more after the we'll-pick-up-the-radiation-bill thing. Good for them. Good for you too -- I bet you charmed them into it, even if inadvertently. (Inadvertent charm is the best kind...)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:28 pm
I've got a plan of action? If you say so. How humiliating. I the nonplanner. Fact is, I do have a plan of action. The place where will get the radiation is ONE BLOCK from the Second Avenue Deli. One block. If I can eat and if I have a bit of extra cash, I'll be getting take-out once a week.

I'm still mad at what happened at the hospital. Inhumane. I got an explanation today. I wanted to know why I was sent to the recovery room for four hours instead of being sent back to the holding area where I could have had my glasses, walked around, read a book (I had a book of mystery short stories with me). I had been sedated. They couldn't let me wander around. Feh and fie on the whole mess.

I did not charm anyone. I simply told the finance lady that I made too much money to get Medicaid. She asked me about how much I make. I told her about how much. She filled out a form filled with "about-how-muches" and that was it. The hospital will pay. Happy as I was, I remembered the previous time I had to deal with this issue. Three rejected applications for Medicaid--with the clock ticking. I made more money then than I do know. Maybe I'm learning the right questions/comments. Maybe I lucked out. Don't feel lucky. Just glad that I don't have to deal with Medicaid and that I don't have to worry about paying.

I've often said how much your caring, support, and comfort are to me. Hope this has not become a cliche. The human contact I have at a2k is often the only human contact I have for weeks at a stretch, other than people in stores and my doormen. The past five years have been horrendous for me. I wrote more and deleted it. Enough already.

You guys have helped to make things bearable. Mercy y c'est tout.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 11:45 pm
@Roberta,
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Boida)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

You know, medical people often HAVE good reasons for what look like dumb actions (like the not letting you wander around and such) but often AREN'T good at explaining them....especially surgical staff (who mainly have very quiet customers indeed!)....and often AREN'T good at supporting people when they are very emotional so that, in the end, the person feels ok enough and calms down enough to actually HEAR whatever explanations there are, and to have them make sense.

Roberta

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 02:56 am
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Boida)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

You know, medical people often HAVE good reasons for what look like dumb actions (like the not letting you wander around and such) but often AREN'T good at explaining them....especially surgical staff (who mainly have very quiet customers indeed!)....and often AREN'T good at supporting people when they are very emotional so that, in the end, the person feels ok enough and calms down enough to actually HEAR whatever explanations there are, and to have them make sense.

I was offered no explanation. However, they did try to humor me. Try to help. Remember the schmoozer? That was his assignment. To spend time with me and keep me distracted. An anesthesiologist between cases. A nice man.

The head surgeon saw me today as he walked by the office I was stashed in. He smiled and said hello. "Who the hell is that?" I wondered. He and I spoke in the operating room. Two reasons why I was clueless. 1. I couldn't see him when I met him. 2. He was wearing one of those surgery hats. He looked different with hair. I apologized for not recognizing him. Told him why he got a blank stare from me. We laughed.

Already trying to decide what I'll get at the Second Ave. Deli. I may try the stuffed cabbage. Love good stuffed cabbage. Need rye bread or challah to slop up the gravy. Slurp. I'm fantasizing about food. Haven't et anything interesting in a while.
jespah

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 04:14 am
Oooh borscht -- I saw a recipe recently for, believe it or not, tomato borscht. Smile

Keep posting, hon. We're here for ya.
Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 04:54 am
@Roberta,
You're amazing Boida-gal... you may not think so... but really - you are.

Hugs and hugs

xoxox
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:29 am
'boida wrote:
The place where will get the radiation is ONE BLOCK from the Second Avenue Deli. One block. If I can eat and if I have a bit of extra cash, I'll be getting take-out once a week.
it's always good to have something fun to look forward to after an unpleasantry...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:38 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Oooh borscht -- I saw a recipe recently for, believe it or not, tomato borscht. Smile

Keep posting, hon. We're here for ya.

Not a fan of beets, but tomato borscht seems somehow wrong. Not in line with the universe or something.

Actually cooked tonight. Wanted something more interesting than eggs, fried or scrambled. Meatballs and spaghetti. Didn't taste right. I think my taste is off. Too much going on in my mouth.

Bought a honeydew melon. An extravagance, but I was craving it. I have found the secret to getting perfectly ripe melons (honeydew and cantaloupe). Ask the guy who works there for a ripe melon. Sometimes he says it will be ripe the same day. Sometimes the next day. He hasn't failed me yet. (I'm terrible at figuring this out on my own.)

Wended my way to the bank to make a deposit so that I could cover the check for one of my two months of back rent. Pooped me out.

Called the place where I do most of my freelance work yesterday. Said I thought I could resume working. I got a job today. Oy. What was I thinking!! What was I thinking? I'll tell ya what I was thinking. I need to earn some money. That's what I was thinking. Will I be able to concentrate? I'll find out soon enough. The package arrives tomorrow. I told them I wouldn't be able to start until Sunday or Monday.

Slept for more than one hour in a row. The flappy thing reared its ugly head again (or whatever it's got), but I did sleep for several hours.

Still tired, but millimetering my way along.

Don't worry. These updates won't last. I'm bound to shut up eventually.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:47 pm
@Roberta,
No, no, I want to hear, I was going to ask.

Melon... sounds good.

Glad you got the work. Dealing with it, ahhh. But still.

I'm sleepy, will check in tomorrow.

Have an idea for a bird series on the beautiful animals thread. Nag me if I forget.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:00 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
Wended my way to the bank to make a deposit so that I could cover the check for one of my two months of back rent. Pooped me out.

Called the place where I do most of my freelance work yesterday. Said I thought I could resume working. I got a job today. Oy. What was I thinking!! What was I thinking? I'll tell ya what I was thinking. I need to earn some money. That's what I was thinking. Will I be able to concentrate? I'll find out soon enough. The package arrives tomorrow. I told them I wouldn't be able to start until Sunday or Monday.

I wish you could take a break from work - just have a rest for a bit, Roberta - but I completely understand why you must persist. Sigh.
Wish you were able to sleep better, too. You really need to. Are sleeping pills out of the question?
Roberta

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:04 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, How sublime. Someone is asking to to nag. Mr. Green You can count on it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:05 pm
@msolga,
msolga, I take something gentle to help me sleep. I haven't worked for a few weeks already. MUST resume. Feh.