Surgery--Again

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 10:06 pm
@Roberta,
Damn. Re the asthma. Especially re the dogs.

Unleash the dogs of healing!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 10:22 pm
Surprising to me, I don't remember. I think I had 25 treatments, got to know the crew.

Not sure, though. Don't trust me. I'd have to look up in my med files.

Kick it, Robbie.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 03:17 pm
Zap 1 done. Very long wait. While I was waiting and reading, someone came in with a therapy dog. Spent much of the rest of the wait with McKenzie in my lap. Love dem dawgs.

The radiation doesn't hurt, but the position I have to lie in while I'm being zapped is excrutiating. Still hurts. Not helped by the asthma.

Aside: It's too steenkin' hot.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 06:03 pm
@Roberta,
Been there before, as you know, and I remember you have too, so I empathize greatly, but there wasn't a therapy dog/s there. I think the whole to-me-new matter of there being therapy dogs is absolutely wonderful - and I'm a person who is allergic to dogs. I don't know the history. I'm sure dogs have been such a help informally for at least centuries or millennia, but don't know about when it became common practice in the health fields. (I should probably look that up).

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 03:17 pm
Long wait. No dogs today.

I have a very high tolerance for pain. I've been through it. Never moan, groan, etc. Until I started this treatment. The position I have to lie in for an extended amount of time had me audibly moaning today. On the verge of tears.

Two zaps down; three to go.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 06:54 pm
@Roberta,
Wish I lived closer so I could go to these appointments with you, if for no other reason than to help support you in these uncomfortable positions so they weren't as painful.

BBB has had to stop getting the steroid injections in her spine because of the uncomfortable position they need her to be in to do them. Last time, she scared the whole surgery clinic into thinking she was having a heart attack by saying she was having chest pains, when she really meant it was smashing her boob and ribs in an uncomfortable position.

I guess the good news is that you will be done with these before the snow starts up again. That's something to look forward to. Maybe as a treat, the dogs can pull an all nighter at your place afterwards.

Roberta

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 09:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrfly, There are many people in the room trying to help. I doubt that you'd be allowed in there with me. I also do that there's much you could do. I'll endure. But I never woulda thunk that an uncomfortable position would be more painful than surgery. Fortunately, when I'm no longer in the position, the pain stops--eventually.

Thanks for the good thoughts.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 05:28 pm
Three zaps down, two to go. Still agony.

A giant, gorgeous golden retriever in the waiting room today. The dog was loving and gentle. The owner needs some training.

On my way out, there was a lovely classic guitar concert in the lobby. If I wasn't dying to haul ass outta there, I would have sat and enjoyed.

Manana I go from the radiation place to Bellevue. I have an appointment with my internist. Among other things, I'm hoping to get some relief from the congestion so that the asthma clears up.

Friday, a French bulldog is scheduled for the waiting room. I love these canines, but I miss Heaven and Holly.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 05:30 pm
This was a very long day. And an expensive one. Can I afford expensive? No. I started with a cab ride rather than the bus. Can't walk from the bus stop to the radiation place. Got to the place early and didn't have to wait long.

After the zapping, I was dizzy. Couldn't stand up. They took my vitals. Poifect. Que pasa? It was speculated that I may have been lying in a position that cut off some oxygen to my brain. Shocked I mostly got past it and took a cab to Bellevue. Got there early, so I took advantage of the Bon Pain in the lobby and had a cup of broccoli and cheddar cheese soup. Delish.

Got to see a brand new doctor. We're focusing on the asthma situation. Some new meds and an OK to take Sudafed (which I think will end the congestion). She wants to see me again next week. Took a cab home.

Left the house at 9:45. Got home at 5:30.

Note: I'm taking steroids. They make you hungry. I mean HUNGRY. Ate my entire week's supply of food in three days.

I mentioned that this was an expensive day. Three cab fares. A cup of soup. Extra food and four new prescriptions..

Paying the rent could be a real problem next month. But frankly at this point I'm more concerned about breathing in both directions.

I'd throw in a sigh here, but I'm too short of breath to make it a good one. Sig. (The best I can do.)
Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 12:29 pm
The zaps are done. I have a follow-up appointment in a month.

Having insurance problems with a prescription. It's always something.

Another round trip cab fare today, plus some OTC meds.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. No alarm clock. Don't have to be anywhere at a specific time. Considering lumping.

I'm tahd.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:24 pm
@Roberta,
lump on girl lump on
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:53 pm
@Roberta,
We'll help with the sighing.

I also sort of sigh in a good way re Bon Pain, or Pain as I called it in my NYC diary. The one near the Met. I'd walked to the Met from the Y - on 63rd or is it 64th. I was young back then. I was early to meet PaolaL, thus found the Pain place (there are two such places with similar names on east or west coasts, or were, and I never got them straight in my mind). Went there the next day (I'm a natural many day at a time Met visitor) and the waiter knew me already. I have tended to talk with waitstaff - some of the time - over the years, but who knows if I did then. It must have been my curly hair. Kidding, I don't know why he recognized me, and my hair had long been straight after decades of my being curlylocks herself.

Hang in, Robbie.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:58 pm
@ossobuco,
The Au Bon Pain at Union Square has been my starting spot for a lot of trips. I could get tea, a bagel and a yogurt and do lots of good people watching. I wrote somewhere about how very cool and calm the staff there were - it's an interesting clientele at the Union Square location. I most recall a very very very tall black man in a pink tutu with cotton balls swinging from his dreads. He always had things to say.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:05 pm
@ehBeth,
that Au Bon Pain was also where I want for a recovery cup of tea after I got busted by Lola at the Filene's Basement across the street.

I was in town with the Fine Cooking gang for the chocolatier's tour of Manhattan and hadn't told the A2k gang I'd be in town. Of course I ran into Lola and 20 minutes later ran into the lovely marionettiste I'd met at the Frying Pan during an A2k meet. Manhattan just isn't a good place for me to disappear.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh!
Ok, I'm jealous. I tend to eschew the word envious, but usually mean envious when I say jealous.

I could maybe send a match, not re who the people are or were, quite different, but for interest, with our guitar guy on ocean front walk in venice. Ours (I always think of Venice as ours, no matter how it has changed to googleville) is still out there playing.. interesting and well liked man. I walked there hundreds and maybe more times, a thousand plus is not exaggerating.
I don't think I ever took his picture, nor did I take some pictures of other regulars.

I did take a photo of a greyhound looking at the beach scene from a rooftop edge..

Dammit, Roberta, I wish you could toss off a book about New York.

How about an article or two? I know you are busy trying to breathe. Just a conjecture.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:49 pm
@ossobuco,
His Library of Congress photo..

http://www.loc.gov/resource/highsm.21965/

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 04:42 pm
@Roberta,
Lump in good health!!!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 06:04 pm
@ehBeth,
I went to that Au Bon Pain! In Union Square.

One of the very few places in NY where I could get a decent cup of tea. And a bagel with cream cheese and Vegemite.

You can take the girl out of Australia, but.....

ps - still think bagels are over-rated!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 06:16 pm
@margo,
There are bagels, and there are bagels. The early ones were smallish and chewy, I'll testify.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 06:49 pm
@margo,
Of course you were in that Au Bon Pain - so close to the SIHNYC Smile

True about the tea - that location and a food cart down by the ferry docks always had the best tea.

The best bagels aren't there but they're edible.