B-52 flew across the US 'in nuclear cargo error'

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 07:35 am
Quote:
(I helped close up Loring back in '95)
were you one of the engineering contractors? I remember being asked to help a number of contractors who wished to do slant drilling and needed some assistance in accuracy. I helped out some of the environmental contractors at the Airbase at Portsmouth NH, a bit at Griffiss (I thought they were just gonna do minor changes) Olmstead,Otis and Thule. I remember a huge RV GET- TOGETHER AT lORING IN 2000, TEMPUS FUGITS RIGHT ALONG
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:30 am
We're surrounded!!

http://www.geocities.com/theawakeningnews/CHinese_In_America.jpg

Joe(oh, the humanity!)Nation
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:51 am
It isn't what you ask, it is who you know.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:53 am
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
(I helped close up Loring back in '95)
were you one of the engineering contractors? I remember being asked to help a number of contractors who wished to do slant drilling and needed some assistance in accuracy. I helped out some of the environmental contractors at the Airbase at Portsmouth NH, a bit at Griffiss (I thought they were just gonna do minor changes) Olmstead,Otis and Thule. I remember a huge RV GET- TOGETHER AT lORING IN 2000, TEMPUS FUGITS RIGHT ALONG

Noo... I was a Communications Systems guy. About a dozen of us were left there to maintain the telephone system and the air traffic facilities until the FAA geared up to take over the runway controls.

I left there in July '95 and the last hundred or so people left a month or so later.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 09:17 am
The Army Times is not the New York Times, for general public consumption, I thought; it is a "house organ," I thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_organ

House organs don't "air dirty laundry"; they want their readership to think well of the house organ's sponsor.

In many corporations the house organ has articles about "employee achievements," etc. to make the reader feel good about his/her employer and therefore work more diligently, etc. For example, there wouldn't be an article about a system screw-up that would be frowned upon by customers.

Also, I would like to understand the poster's thoughts on deciding to post the article? Human interest? Personal feelings relating to the U.S. military? I think that too would be interesting?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 09:24 am
Foofie wrote:
The Army Times is not the New York Times, for general public consumption, I thought; it is a "house organ," I thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_organ

House organs don't "air dirty laundry"; they want their readership to think well of the house organ's sponsor.

And wiki says about Army Times

Quote:
Army Times is an independent weekly newspaper serving active, reserve and retired United States Army and United States National Guard personnel and their families, providing career-related news and information as well as community and lifestyle features, educational supplements, and resource guides.

Army Times is published by the Military Times Media Group, a unit of the Army Times Publishing Company, which is a part of Gannett Company (NYSE:GCI). Army Times Publishing Company was purchased by Gannett in 1997 from the Times Journal Company.

In 2006, the publication published an editorial calling for the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 11:36 am
ARMY TIMES has published some articles highly critical of policies and big brass from time to time .
it certainly is NOT a house organ that's managed from military command - that's my impressions from reading some of their articles .
hbg

canada has a somewhat similar - perhaps more critical - magazine called
"esprit de corps" , published by a former NCO .

Quote:
A former professional soldier, Scott Taylor has been editor and publisher of Esprit de Corps since 1988.

Throughout the mid-1990s, this little independent magazine embarked on a campaign to expose crime and corruption in the upper echelons of the Canadian Forces. After exposing a number of top-level cover-ups and scandals while defending the rights of the rank and file soldiers, Scott was dubbed the "Voice of the Grunts" by the Globe and Mail, a "Bone in the Brass' Throats" by the Toronto Star, and a "One Man Army" by the Toronto Sun.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:00 am
farmerman wrote:
The really scary part is that NESSG (nuke explosion safety study group) cannot guarantee that , under specific circumstances one out of 6 bombs couldnt go off were a plane wreck to occur with nukes on board.

I'll guarantee it.
0 Replies