Yawn, Bush's Suprise Visit to Iraq Today

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 03:22 pm
Guess what, frat boy. No one is buying your bullshit anymore, no one even cares to even start a thread about it and if I wasn't so bored today (too much Summer of Love yesterday) I wouldn't have bothered either.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,166 • Replies: 125
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:38 pm
Bush is saying security in Iraq has improved - even though the death rate of Iraqis continue to increase. With the improvement in security, Bush is saying we may be able to drop our troop levels. I guess we're fighting this war to improve the death rates of American soldiers - Iraqis be damned.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:37 pm
Why call the President a frat boy? I would never say that. I wouldn't want to think of myself as an anti-fratite ("boy" can be considered pejorative, I thought).

He went to Iraq, not Berkeley. I think his troops appreciated his visit.

Nothing much to say, other than wondering if I read the original post correctly?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:48 pm
Foofie, Have you ever served in the military service?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:26 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Foofie, Have you ever served in the military service?

The problem I have with personal questions is it tells me that the questioner has no problem with whether or not I feel comfortable answering. It also makes me think that the questioner, in asking a question that I only tell close friends/family, is by my standards, pretending to know me better than they do. (Yes, pretending, since in person we pick up on a person's level of discomfort; we know when to back off. The internet makes for social clumsiness, I believe.)

In effect, personal questions, when people don't really know me, makes me feel the questioner values his/her curiosity over my level of comfort.

I also think that the questioner thinks I'm stupid, since they are asking me a personal question in a public forum, and why would the questioner think I'd be comfortable making the answer so public.

Don't assume I want anyone to know me in a personal manner. And, since I don't ask personal questions, I see no reason to respond to anyone asking me any.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:32 pm
Fair enough.

But let me clarify; being in the service means having to say "yes sir" no matter what the situation or circumstances. When a soldier claps when a president speaks, it's probably because their commander told them they had to.

"No" is not in a soldiers vocabulary - or at least 99.9 percent of them.

Your "no" answer doesn't show you to be "ignorant." It only shows why you may not understand how the military operates.

BTW, I'm not sure why telling whether you served in the military is so "private."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:52 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Fair enough.

But let me clarify; being in the service means having to say "yes sir" no matter what the situation or circumstances. When a soldier claps when a president speaks, it's probably because their commander told them they had to.

Your "no" answer doesn't show you to be "ignorant." It only shows why you may not understand how the military operates.

BTW, I'm not sure why telling whether you served in the military is so "private."

You're not focussing on what I stated. It's not my privacy I'm concerned about. It's the nature of the questionner I'm not comfortable with. Even if anyone asked me my hair color, I'd react the same way. I don't intrude on other's personal world; I don't therefore feel I need satisfy anyone's curiosity. One-way curiosity is just so self-serving, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 09:01 pm
Shocked I am speechless. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 09:09 pm
Foofie, You can build a fence around yourself, but you'll miss out on really getting to know and appreciate others on a2k. Good luck.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:45 pm
Foofie wrote:
Why call the President a frat boy? I would never say that. I wouldn't want to think of myself as an anti-fratite ("boy" can be considered pejorative, I thought).

Nothing much to say,

Of course, because no one is buying the frat boy's bullshit anymore.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:50 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Foofie, You can build a fence around yourself, but you'll miss out on really getting to know and appreciate others on a2k. Good luck.

No, I wasn't "building a fence" around myself, but building a sidewalk, so repondents would know where to walk, and not walk, so to speak. But, a fence might be the result, regardless of my intentions. I understand that many people might believe that their own criteria, for appropriate bounderies, is everyone's bounderies. There are more extroverts in the world than introverts.

And, in a thread that relates specifically to a military visit by our President, knowing whether one has, or has not, been in the military can "color the perception" of his/her response. Your asking was personalizing my position. It takes away from "an even playing field" of discourse, I believe.

Regardless, a simple, "Sorry" would have sufficed, rather than what seemed like the advice of "you'll miss out on really getting to know and appreciate others on a2k." That can easily be misconstrued as "face saving," based on my prior response to your question. That wasn't your intent, in your advice, for sure, I believe. Just fatherly advice, I'd guess . And, you knew I would appreciate fatherly advice?

As a believer in sociology, I would think your informal, asking me a question, not related to the thread, might just reflect the easier culture on the west coast (like some west coasters supposedly might ask someone they just meet, "What's your (astrological) sign?"). That's not the entire country. Some parts of the country are fairly formal by comparison.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:52 am
YOu must then be a control freak.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:00 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
YOu must then be a control freak.

Can I assume your response above is an ad hominem reply?

Regardless, it seems to me that you want to personalize my comments, by defining my intentions? Why in heavens would you want to? This thread is not about me. It was about a visit by our President to his troops.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:05 am
Yes, it certainly is! When you try to control other's behavior, you are a control freak.

This thread is about "Bush's visit to Iraq," but a2k is about people.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:10 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Nothing much to say,

Of course, because no one is buying the frat boy's bullshit anymore.

I believe our President subscribes to a world view that a percentage of the country does not subscribe to. I believe it reflects the neo-conservative's world view. Leo Strauss, who taught at the University of Chicago, has been a major contributor to neo-conserviatism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Strauss

To read this wikipedia reference might harden your views of our President. But, that's good, right?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:40 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Fair enough.

Bullsh!t!!!

As a result, I can now draw doubt as to your personal experience.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:42 am
Foofie wrote:

Nothing much to say, other than wondering if I read the original post correctly?

You read the quote accurately. The poster obviously has nothing to say.

My guess is the troops appreciated the visit from GW, raised their moral, confirmed their mission/sacrifices and necessary.

Regardless of ones opinion of the President, troops need these types of visits.

The poster apparently has no appreciation of the sacxrifices made by the troops on "it's" behalf.

PS: Welcome to A2K
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:52 am
woiyo wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Fair enough.

Bullsh!t!!!

You can draw any conclusion you wish. No skin off my nose. That's a choice we all make about all the posters on a2k.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:55 am
woiyo wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Fair enough.

Bullsh!t!!!

Oh, right. What do you think happens to the soldier who says 'morale is low, Mr. President'? Nothing? You don't know a damn thing about the military if you actually claim that's true; I know for a fact otherwise.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:58 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Fair enough.

Bullsh!t!!!

Oh, right. What do you think happens to the soldier who says 'morale is low, Mr. President'? Nothing? You don't know a damn thing about the military if you actually claim that's true; I know for a fact otherwise.

Cycloptichorn

Whatever. Apparently, your "experience" is the only one that is relavent?

Back to the point, do you not think troops needs and enjoy these types of visits from our heads of State?
0 Replies