Thats one rich bitch

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:28 am
happycat wrote:
Montana wrote:
That's right! We shouldn't judge people for being uncharitable. Since when do others owe anyone anything?

It was her money to do what she damn well pleased with it and I can't believe she's being judged for that!

Montana, I disagree.
I think we all owe each other.
If you have money like LH did, and since you can't take it with you, once your family is well taken care of a great portion of the remainder should be spread among those who need it most.

Remember all that It Takes a Village crap from a few years ago? Well, I think that applies mostly to people that have more money than God and consider leaving it to a housepet.

I give to charities, and if I won a huge sum of money you better believe I would do good things with it.....albeit after I bought a 50' Sea Ray. Cool
But, I would definitely give to those less fortunate, or establish scholarships or something to benefit others.

As far as my dog...well, he came from a shelter and he's not too picky; he'd be happy with any family member.
The cat? she doesn't care one way or the other.

I know the money could have helped a lot of people, but I'm just seeing the fact that it was her money to do with it what she wanted and I can't get past that.

Got my cat from the shelter as well and my mother can't believe how much she's like me :-)

I always said "If I hit it big, I won't give money to charities, but I will rent a U-Haul every year and drop a huge about of food off at the animal shelters and people shelters/food banks.

Of course I'd also help out some friends who I know are in need.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:30 am
happycat wrote:
But Montana, you weren't stinkin' rich.....rich enough to leave millions to a dog?
I hear what you're saying though.
Smile

Hey, she obviously loved her dog :-D
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:35 am
Montana wrote:
happycat wrote:
But Montana, you weren't stinkin' rich.....rich enough to leave millions to a dog?
Smile

yeah, I love my dog too. I gave him part of my sausage biscuit this morning.
But he knows not to touch my wallet or my checkbook.
Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:39 am
Not so long ago, I said to my son and his girlfriend "don't get any ideas, I'm leaving everything to my cat" Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:41 am
happycat wrote:
Montana wrote:
happycat wrote:
Smile

yeah, I love my dog too. I gave him part of my sausage biscuit this morning.
But he knows not to touch my wallet or my checkbook.
Very Happy

Yeah, my cat is smart enough to know she doesn't get it until I'm gone. She gets expensive treats because she earns them :-D
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:43 am
Shocked

wow. This thread really took off!

just for the record, the 'rich bitch' I was talking about was her dog. HA

Though, I can not say that I have a favorable opinion of miss high and mighty pants either. She sounds like a control freak.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:44 am
Gargamel wrote:
Also, the logical extension of your argument is that, since, in your experience (this is implied) most people are not charitable, Leona Helmsley should not be expected to be charitable.

Thus we should not judge mankind in general for being largely uncharitable?

Nope. Never said, or even implied that. What I am saying is that being charitable is up to each person's own conscience. Each person has their own set of values in terms of how charitable he/she wants to be. Simply amassing a lot of money is not a reason for others to have the expectation that a person should be charitable.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:45 am
Well, I'm with Phoenix and Montana on this one. I don't believe anyone has the right to decide how your money is being spent, whether you're dead or alive.

What was she supposed to do with it? Good Lord.

"She ordered that cash from sales of the Helmsley's residences and belongings, reported to be worth billions, be sold and that the money be given to the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust." So from what I can see, she donated BILLIONS to a charity trust, and her only crime is spending more on her dog than her grandchildren, two of whom were cut out for reasons known to them.

What's wrong with that?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:46 am
I knew you were talking about the dog, shewolf Laughing

Yeah, she seemed a bit dramatic to me as well.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:49 am
ehBeth wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I would not have done what Leona Helmsley did, but it is not for me to judge what she did.

fine but just about 2 weeks ago ...

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I use this as an example, but I have seen the exact same scenario over and over again. Why is it that people do not like to speak ill of the dead?

To me, a person was what he was, warts and all. I have no compunctions, when discussing the deceased, about bringing up negative things, if appropriate in the context of the discussion.

How do YOU feel about this?

I feel like you've got a bit of a double standard on this issue.

~~~

The woman was a bitch in life, and found a way to be a bitch in death.

Why you'd choose to defend her, I can only speculate about.

~~~

You should be pleased that people aren't changing their opinion simply because Ms. Helmsley died.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
What pisses me off are those people who do a 180 at the death of a despised individual

ehBeth- I am not defending Helmsley. What I am defending is the concept that no one has the right to another's money. If a person wants to give out of the goodness of their heart, fine, but I don't see it as a moral imperative.

As far as my "180" remark, that has nothing to do with the issue at all. Actually, Leona Helmsley was the particular example, but I was addressing a much broader concept.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:58 am
Mame wrote:
Well, I'm with Phoenix and Montana on this one. I don't believe anyone has the right to decide how your money is being spent, whether you're dead or alive.

What was she supposed to do with it? Good Lord.

"She ordered that cash from sales of the Helmsley's residences and belongings, reported to be worth billions, be sold and that the money be given to the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust." So from what I can see, she donated BILLIONS to a charity trust, and her only crime is spending more on her dog than her grandchildren, two of whom were cut out for reasons known to them.

What's wrong with that?

Nothing from where I sit. I think she was quite generous in the charity department, along with loving her dog very much.

I'm thinking the few grandchildren that were left out just may not have been worthy of any money from her. Just because someone is family doesn't give them dibs on the assets of others, regardless of who they are.
Maybe they treated her like crap.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:59 am
Or they may have tried to rip her off, or maybe they kicked the dog...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 12:07 pm
Montana wrote:
I'm thinking the few grandchildren that were left out just may not have been worthy of any money from her. Just because someone is family doesn't give them dibs on the assets of others, regardless of who they are.
Maybe they treated her like crap.

I agree. Maybe she just did not like them. Maybe they had enough money of their own. Maybe this, maybe that. Why she cut them out was her business. It was her perogative.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 01:33 pm
What does it matter if one woman somewhere didnt donate help slathers of loot to the dying, poor and needy. This is happening all the time. She's like a drop in the ocean. If everyone started giving, well, then, there'd probably no poor people on Earth, and nobody could say that's a bad thing.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 01:47 pm
i'd say the opposite, quincy. i'd say it matters every time.

i'm not gonna tell people how to spend their money, but i WILL have feelings about it. if you're rich and live in the public eye, of course people will look at how you did your will and where does the money go. and if it goes to a dog people, will talk and they will pass judgment. so what. i see nothing wrong with that. it's part of the publicity.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 01:51 pm
I agree completely.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 02:03 pm
My dog is 4 years old. I spend probably $15-$20 per week on food and treats and toys.

If he lives for another 10 years...

10 x 52 x $20 = $10,400
plus his vet bills....his occasional boarding....shots.....misc expenses

nope, he still doesn't even come close to needing ONE million dollars!
Even if he's generous and takes care of the cat in her old age.

So who was the financial lawyer that said "oh yes Leona, your dog will need at least $12 mil?"
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 02:11 pm
Who cares what she spends on him?

Maybe he has a wash, clip and fluff every day and needs a new diamond collar once a month.

He could have a very pricey dog-walker, and he may eat fresh liver every day.

His doghouse is probably studded with jewels and lined with fur. He may eat out of a crystal dish.

Who cares? The point is, it's HER money to dispense with.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 02:15 pm
sure. and she spent HER life in the PUBLIC eye. so people will comment. who cares? it's entertainment business, that's what it's for. just like they comment on brittney spear's cellulite, they will talk about the 12 million the rich Cruella Deville left to a dog.

so i ask the same 'so what'?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 02:18 pm
I could use a good wash, clip and fluff every day.

AND a new diamond collar once a month!!

:wink:
0 Replies