Thats one rich bitch

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:00 am
Quote:

Leona Helmsley's Dog Gets $12 Million in Will

Wednesday August 29, 6:12 am ET
Helmsley Dog Gets $12 Million, but Real Estate Billionaire Leaves Nothing to 2 Grandchildren

NEW YORK (AP) -- Leona Helmsley's dog will continue to live an opulent life, and then be buried alongside her in a mausoleum. But two of Helmsley's grandchildren got nothing from the late luxury hotelier and real estate billionaire's estate.

Helmsley left her beloved white Maltese, named Trouble, a $12 million trust fund, according to her will, which was made public Tuesday in surrogate court.

She also left millions for her brother, Alvin Rosenthal, who was named to care for Trouble in her absence, as well as two of four grandchildren from her late son Jay Panzirer -- so long as they visit their father's grave site once each calendar year.

Otherwise, she wrote, neither will get a penny of the $5 million she left for each.

Helmsley left nothing to two of Jay Panzirer's other children -- Craig and Meegan Panzirer -- for "reasons that are known to them," she wrote.

But no one made out better than Trouble, who once appeared in ads for the Helmsley Hotels, and lived up to her name by biting a housekeeper.

"I direct that when my dog, Trouble, dies, her remains shall be buried next to my remains in the Helmsley mausoleum," Helmsley wrote in her will.

The mausoleum, she ordered, must be "washed or steam-cleaned at least once a year." She left behind $3 million for the upkeep of her final resting place in Westchester County, where she is buried with her husband, Harry Helmsley.

She also left her chauffeur, Nicholas Celea, $100,000.

She ordered that cash from sales of the Helmsley's residences and belongings, reported to be worth billions, be sold and that the money be given to the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust.

Her longtime spokesman, Howard Rubenstein, had no comment.

Helmsley died earlier this month at her Connecticut home. She became known as a symbol of 1980s greed and earned the nickname "the Queen of Mean" after her 1988 indictment and subsequent conviction for tax evasion. One employee had quoted her as snarling, "Only the little people pay taxes."

wow.
Can someone say control freak?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,098 • Replies: 103
No top replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:02 am
For the most part, it's difficult for me to believe in hell.

Then, every once in a while, someone like Leona Helmsley passes away...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:04 am
my thoughts exactly..
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:07 am
"the Queen of Mean" evil snicker here Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:39 am
Hey, I think that people, whether we agree with their decisions or not, have the right to leave their money to whomever they want. No one is "entitled" to another person's money.

I would not have done what Leona Helmsley did, but it is not for me to judge what she did.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:45 am
Hell yeah it's for us to judge.

It's statistically factual that in her lifetime she possessed many times what a person needs to live comfortably.

Many people could have benefitted from the money she gave to her dog.

No mercy for the mean and rich.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:48 am
I say we kidnap the pooch and hold it for ransom.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:59 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Hey, I think that people, whether we agree with their decisions or not, have the right to leave their money to whomever they want. No one is "entitled" to another person's money.

I would not have done what Leona Helmsley did, but it is not for me to judge what she did.

I agree.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:01 am
Gargamel wrote:

It's statistically factual that in her lifetime she possessed many times what a person needs to live comfortably.

I really get annoyed at people who have "big eyes" for other people's money. So she had a lot of money. So what? What does that have to do with you? Or me?

Whenever I hear a person talking like that, I think, "You have an extra bedroom. Why not let a homeless person stay there"? Or, "when you are driving, why not pick up a stranger at the bus stop and take them where they are going. You have empty seats in the car"?

See, the thing is, when people talk about giving money, or being charitable to other people, they are never talking about themselves being the ones to give the money.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:09 am
Gargamel wrote:
Hell yeah it's for us to judge.

No mercy for the mean and rich.

YES! YES! YES!!!

whew. I need a cigarette now.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:11 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

I really get annoyed at people who have "big eyes" for other people's money. So she had a lot of money. So what? What does that have to do with you? Or me?

Whenever I hear a person talking like that, I think, "You have an extra bedroom. Why not let a homeless person stay there"? Or, "when you are driving, why not pick up a stranger at the bus stop and take them where they are going. You have empty seats in the car"?

See, the thing is, when people talk about giving money, or being charitable to other people, they are never talking about themselves being the ones to give the money.

There is a difference between letting a homeless person stay in your tiny studio apartment and your GIGANTIC mansion.

And what do you know, personally, about any sort of chrarity I'm involved in?

I understand your comment might be intended to apply to people in general, for the sake of your argument.

But you might consider her wealth relatively.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:15 am
Also, the logical extension of your argument is that, since, in your experience (this is implied) most people are not charitable, Leona Helmsley should not be expected to be charitable.

Thus we should not judge mankind in general for being largely uncharitable?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:33 am
That's right! We shouldn't judge people for being uncharitable. Since when do others owe anyone anything?

It was her money to do what she damn well pleased with it and I can't believe she's being judged for that!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:42 am
Have you never benefitted from the charity of others, monetarily or otherwise? People owe it to themselves to be charitable.

At the end of her life, what was money to her but zeros and decimal points? What is it to her now? Would she start crying ghost tears if someone gave a portion of her money to a family living in a FEMA trailer?

In all fairness, I'll admit that I don't know her biography. She may have given to charities. Here I'm interested in the larger debate.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:52 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

fine but just about 2 weeks ago ...

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I use this as an example, but I have seen the exact same scenario over and over again. Why is it that people do not like to speak ill of the dead?

To me, a person was what he was, warts and all. I have no compunctions, when discussing the deceased, about bringing up negative things, if appropriate in the context of the discussion.

How do YOU feel about this?

I feel like you've got a bit of a double standard on this issue.

~~~

The woman was a bitch in life, and found a way to be a bitch in death.

Why you'd choose to defend her, I can only speculate about.

~~~

You should be pleased that people aren't changing their opinion simply because Ms. Helmsley died.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
What pisses me off are those people who do a 180 at the death of a despised individual
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:53 am
Montana wrote:
We shouldn't judge people for being uncharitable.

Why not?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:54 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

That is beyond hooey.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:57 am
Montana wrote:
That's right! We shouldn't judge people for being uncharitable. Since when do others owe anyone anything?

It was her money to do what she damn well pleased with it and I can't believe she's being judged for that!

Montana, I disagree.
I think we all owe each other.
If you have money like LH did, and since you can't take it with you, once your family is well taken care of a great portion of the remainder should be spread among those who need it most.

Remember all that It Takes a Village crap from a few years ago? Well, I think that applies mostly to people that have more money than God and consider leaving it to a housepet.

I give to charities, and if I won a huge sum of money you better believe I would do good things with it.....albeit after I bought a 50' Sea Ray. Cool
But, I would definitely give to those less fortunate, or establish scholarships or something to benefit others.

As far as my dog...well, he came from a shelter and he's not too picky; he'd be happy with any family member.
The cat? she doesn't care one way or the other.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:16 am
Gargamel wrote:
Have you never benefitted from the charity of others, monetarily or otherwise? People owe it to themselves to be charitable.

At the end of her life, what was money to her but zeros and decimal points? What is it to her now? Would she start crying ghost tears if someone gave a portion of her money to a family living in a FEMA trailer?

In all fairness, I'll admit that I don't know her biography. She may have given to charities. Here I'm interested in the larger debate.

I have benefitted from the charity of others, but never financial. Well, other than my mother and father and my father died when I was 21.
I was a single parent struggling to raise my son on my own. I worked dangerous jobs to provide for him and no one was offering me charity, so this may explain some of how I feel.

Also, I use to give to charities all the time, and all they did was hound my ass with letters and phone calls wanting more!

Then there's the loser men I supported for 12 years of my life, which cost me big big bucks because I didn't have the heart to put them on the streets. Between my last 2, they cost me well over $100,000, which I still have anxiety about today!

I believe in charity, but I won't throw my money at it anymore. I've lost way too much doing that.

Maybe the woman had a reason to be a bitch. When you have money, lots of people don't mind asking you for some.

Right after my father died, people knew that he had a life insurance and I was unpleasantly shocked at how many people came to her asking to borrow money!

Also, when we moved to Canada, my mother and I made out pretty well in a good market when we sold our homes in the states and since the exchange on American $ was 51% at the time, we made out pretty well in our move here.
Well, because some members of the family thought we were rich, they decided we would be a great place to get loans. They found out quickly enough that we liked our money just where it was.
I do have one cousin who was persistant for about 3 years before he finally gave up though.

You need help moving furnature, etc, I'm all yours! You need money, you're looking in the wrong place.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:24 am
But Montana, you weren't stinkin' rich.....rich enough to leave millions to a dog?
I hear what you're saying though.
Smile
0 Replies