Fantech had another lay off.

Montana

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 09:41 am
Before I was laid off, there was a rumor going around the company that they were going under. The company called a huge meeting with all the employees to assure everyone that it wasn't true, but some of us didn't quite buy it, since we had already been lied too.
They always hired a ton of extra people in the summer to help with the rush, but not this summer and now they're laying off again.

I do have to say that I have never worked for a company that was so dishonest.

Maybe I just worked for great companies in the past because I can't ever remember any of them lying to me.

They say "what goes around, comes around" and maybe things are coming around for them.

Anyone else have similar experiences with companies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,783 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 09:54 am
Are you working now, Montana?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:01 am
Not yet.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:02 am
How long has it been?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:19 am
Since I live kind of in the boonies, there is no other similar production work in my area and I'll have to do some traveling when I do get back out there.
The gas prices are high and driving such a distance at night far from thrills me, but the thing that worries me the most is the weather. If I'm working in the city and we end up getting snow (usually every other day in the winter), thunderstorms, etc, I'll be stranded there until the storm passes and the roads are clear.
It's almost an hour drive out to the city and putting all that mileage and wear n tear on my car doesn't help either.

I was planning on going back to school and I'm still throwing that around in my head, although I may just go back to work.

When I started working at Fantech, they had these huge meetings telling us all how the company was booming and all about their big plans for the future, so I went with that and assumed I'd get hired back at some point. Well, after getting this news, I think I can safely assume that I won't be getting called back there, unless of course there's some big construction boom.

Other than all the lies they fed me, I truly did like my job there and I was hoping to go back.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:19 am
Mame wrote:
How long has it been?

Since Feb Sad
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:25 am
Well, this is your chance to do something kind of exciting. I'm moving to the Island and have a list of things I can do, some of which will bring in some tax-free money.

I would prefer 3 jobs, 1 - 2 days per week each. I can bartend, do home care, teach art classes, have a homestay student, sell sewing and craft products at the Saturday markets, do typing and other office work, cook... even clean houses, if need be. The sky's the limit and I love the variety. I'm SURE you can do some, any, or all of those things, too... whatever turns your crank.

Keep us posted.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:36 am
Hey, that sounds like some fun Mame :-D

I'm tossing a lot of things around. To me, the ultimate job would be telecommuting, working right from home doing something on my computer.
I read some years ago that half the population will end up doing this evetually, because it benefits both the employer and employee. The employee saves money in travel expense, along with making it much easier for parents who want to be home for their kids and it benefits the employer because they no longer need to provide office space for that employee. Everyone wins, except of course, the people who prefer to work outside the home.

Anyway, now that I know I most likely won't be going back to Fantach, I'll figure out where I go from here.

<sigh>
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:41 am
Mame, I didn't know you were moving to the island! Where the hell have I been?

Thanks a million for the ideas. You gave me some food for thought ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
I've actually thought about selling sewing and craft products. I love craft stuff and even have a craft room because it takes a room to fit all my stuff.

<Thinking>
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:48 am
What are friends for, eh? Very Happy

My mother gave me some excellent advice some years ago... write a list on the left detailing all the things you're good at (even what you'd consider non-work things, like talking on the phone, window-shopping, etc), and then on the right, write out all the things you like doing. Just study it a little bit every day and before you know it, various ideas will be popping out at you.

If you think outside the box, as in working in a non-conventional manner, many more things are possible. I happen to like to graze through life rather than eating the same meal every day... more than one friend, more than one job, more than one hobby... it keeps me hopping and I like to hop.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 01:17 pm
Montana--

Check into home care for the elderly--this can pay very well and you can pick and choose your clients.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 01:54 pm
Mame wrote:
...I happen to like to graze through life rather than eating the same meal every day... more than one friend, more than one job, more than one hobby... it keeps me hopping and I like to hop.

Very Happy

Be careful. This is how people wind up in P.R. Laughing
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 02:47 pm
Is that where you are? Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:19 pm
Re: Fantech had another lay off.
Montana wrote:
Before I was laid off, there was a rumor going around the company that they were going under. The company called a huge meeting with all the employees to assure everyone that it wasn't true, but some of us didn't quite buy it, since we had already been lied too.

Let me tell you something, Montana; when a company, any company, has an employee meeting to assure them there will be no layoffs, there will be a layoff. If they tell them the company isn't going under, that means the layoff will be permanant.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:48 pm
roger wrote:
Montana wrote:

Let me tell you something, Montana; when a company, any company, has an employee meeting to assure them there will be no layoffs, there will be a layoff. If they tell them the company isn't going under, that means the layoff will be permanent.

Amen - In the 80's I was a manager at a good sized computer company that was going belly up. I was told by the Higher Ups to call all my sales reps to a meeting and tell them everything was going to be fine. I already knew the Higher Ups were packing their desks and faxing resumes (including me). I didn't know what to do until I looked out at the two dozen faces of people I had worked with for the past few years. I knew they had mortgages, car loans and kids. I knew they might never collect their last commission check. I read the little prepared speech from the Higher Ups telling the reps. not to worry their pretty little heads over silly things like bankruptcy. I got to the end of the speech, crumpled the paper up, threw it my audience and yelled "last one out is an unemployeed monkey"...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 04:21 pm
Something occurred to me since I also live in the boonies combined with what Noddy said. There is a woman in my area who has worked for years as a companion/chauffer for older people. We have almost zero public transportation here, and if you are elderly or not well enough to drive, you will probably die a slow death at home (it might not be the same in Canada that has more social awareness). This woman drives older people to doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, the mall, to visit grandchildren etc. She also does a purely social thing where she takes a few older people to films or park concerts. For a while I attended a book club where she always showed up with three little old ladies in tow.I'm not sure what she charges, but she is single and has been doing this long enough for me to think she makes a living at it. I've seen her flyers up in a local clinic and the library. You just need a dependable vehicle.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 05:55 pm
roger wrote:
Montana wrote:

Let me tell you something, Montana; when a company, any company, has an employee meeting to assure them there will be no layoffs, there will be a layoff. If they tell them the company isn't going under, that means the layoff will be permanant.

Ayup.

I'm sorry this happened, Montana. Good luck and good resume'ing.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 06:15 pm
What Green Witch said. And. start with your nosey neighbors. You can start with... "I know you enjoy seeing me, so...." Laughing
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 06:31 pm
Or, I'm unemployed and there's a chance you could see more of me... do you have a job? Smile
0 Replies