Pro-'surge' group is almost all Jewish

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 04:02 pm
Ragman wrote:
Thanks for showing your true colors by not addressing the text and subverting. Is there anything in that thread that I typed that is in error? At some point in the near future, I'll post the source of those facts. Having worked for Motorola, I can personally attest for the info on the technology.

When you can't acknowledge the contributions of Israel or accept important alliance Israel and US have, feel free to swing away with ad hominem attack (or better defined as ad hominem circumstantial) if it makes you feel better.

Re-edited post:
http://www.israelemb.org/la/media/ALetterFromYariv/L9.htm

This info came by way of the Consul General in Los Angles dated May 12, 2005.

FWIW, the text in its entirety with 57 internationally known accomplishments is there in the link.

Just to respond to this:

Not only are cut-and-paste email responses lame, but none of what you posted is a benefit to the US. At all. The companies which made those products were and are being paid to do so; why does that require US aid?

If the Israeli economy is bigger than any other ME nation, then they don't need our money, do they?

You are unable to point to any substantive aid or gain that we receive from our alliance with Israel. The fact that they have companies who make products we like is frankly immaterial to the question of what we gain as a country...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Wanted to revisit this topic.

The question: what does the US get for it's 3 Billion-per-year + investment in Israel? Yglesias:

Quote:
Meanwhile, Eli also concedes that he "can't make the argument that Israel really needs that aid." But there's the core part of the Walt-Mearsheimer argument that I agree with (some of their other ideas, particularly about Iraq and Syria, seem wrong to me and their brief, deliberately one-sided account of Israeli history seemed like overkill). You have all this money going to a country that doesn't really need it, and that country doesn't do anything of particular value for us in exchange for that. Why? The existence of an unusually powerful domestic lobby on its behalf. Meanwhile, because the aid's existence is tied to a lobby that's very influential, particularly on the Hill, it's very hard for American presidents to use the aid as leverage, the way one normally would with a proxy.

I contend that we get absolutely nothing of value. Nothing. We are not given any added or extra security as a nation. The fact that Israeli companies make products we like is immaterial - they are paid for this, so how does the extra money going to the Israeli gov't on top of this make any sense?

They don't need the money from us. Their economy is quite healthy, and if they need that money to survive militarily, then there's no reason their own citizens can't pay for it.

Can anyone provide actual, tangible benefits the US receives from its' Israeli alliance? Other than lame-ass cut and paste emails which are immaterial to the topic, of course.

Cycloptichorn

Would you be against Israel becoming the 51st state? Remember, all the secular Jews there could then move anywhere in the U.S. That would be an inducement from their perspective. The U.S. would get an outpost where the bases built there would rival Ramstein Air Base in Germany.

The religious Jews could stay there (the minority in Israel); even Palestinians could get the right of return, but would have to become U.S. citizens.

In effect, it would be like taking the chess piece off the playing board. No more Israel, no more Palestine. Just us Americans.

I say this in context of my belief that, in a nuclear age, the concept of a safe homeland for Jews (the concept behind Zionism), might just be obsolete.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:43 pm
What, increase our troubles in the ME even more, by permanently moving into the area, instead of simply having a proxy there?

No thanks!

The creation of Israel was a hellish, idiotic mistake; there was no real logical thought, independent of 'religious history,' put into it. I'm not against the concept of Jews having a country of their own, but as they say in Real Estate: location matters, baby. And their location was terrible.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:04 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
What, increase our troubles in the ME even more, by permanently moving into the area, instead of simply having a proxy there?

No thanks!

The creation of Israel was a hellish, idiotic mistake; there was no real logical thought, independent of 'religious history,' put into it. I'm not against the concept of Jews having a country of their own, but as they say in Real Estate: location matters, baby. And their location was terrible.

Cycloptichorn

Why would Israel becoming the 51st state (Holyland, U.S.A.) make problems for the U.S., just because it's in the Middle East? Perhaps, its neighbors are under some delusion that all that sand belongs to them? That doesn't sound correct, since we had a Manifest Destiny, or California would still be part of Mexico.

Wasn't Jesus born in Bethlehem? I think it would make some people happy if Jesus' birthplace became part of the U.S. I sense it may even be part of the biblical covenant.

Like if the Jews had Israel for "X" number of years, and the Moslems before that, isn't it time for Christians to have it too? I think the U.S. would be good stewards for the Holy Land (Holyland, U.S.A.)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:17 pm
Foofie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

No thanks!

Cycloptichorn

Why would Israel becoming the 51st state (Holyland, U.S.A.) make problems for the U.S., just because it's in the Middle East? Perhaps, its neighbors are under some delusion that all that sand belongs to them? That doesn't sound correct, since we had a Manifest Destiny, or California would still be part of Mexico.

Wasn't Jesus born in Bethlehem? I think it would make some people happy if Jesus' birthplace became part of the U.S. I sense it may even be part of the biblical covenant.

Like if the Jews had Israel for "X" number of years, and the Moslems before that, isn't it time for Christians to have it too? I think the U.S. would be good stewards for the Holy Land (Holyland, U.S.A.)

No, I don't think it's time for Christians to 'have Israel.'

In fact, I think it's long past time for any and all religious considerations to be completely removed from our governmental and political calculations. Don't you?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

In fact, I think it's long past time for any and all religious considerations to be completely removed from our governmental and political calculations. Don't you?

Cycloptichorn

Why ask me? Don't look for me to agree. Just state your opinion. You have no need to know my opinion.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:26 pm
Foofie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Why ask me? Don't look for me to agree. Just state your opinion. You have no need to know my opinion.

You're getting pretty defensive over a simple question.

Do you, or do you not, believe that religious considerations should be completely removed from our governmental and political calculations?

I do have a need to know your opinion; it is critical to the question of the hour, and that question is, are you worth discussing things with, or just another, well, let's just say, person who isn't worth discussing things with?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

You're getting pretty defensive over a simple question.

Do you, or do you not, believe that religious considerations should be completely removed from our governmental and political calculations?

I do have a need to know your opinion; it is critical to the question of the hour, and that question is, are you worth discussing things with, or just another, well, let's just say, person who isn't worth discussing things with?

Cycloptichorn

Sorry, I'm not your subordinate. Give orders to someone else.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:29 pm
Didn't take long to solve that question.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:49 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Didn't take long to solve that question.

Cycloptichorn

The problem is, as Bartleby the Scrivner said in Herman Melville's short story (by the same name), "I prefer not to" (in this case participate in your questions). If that disqualifies me from having the benefit of your point of view, well I guess I'm not deserving, since I can't rise to the occasion.
0 Replies