Border Patrol Agents in Jail

au1929

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 06:55 am
ebrowne
You continually state that 12 US citizens found the agents guilty. I should like to remind you that in recent years many people serving long sentences were found to be wrongly convicted and released from jail.
In addition the jury in the OJ.Simpson murder case found him to be not guilty. It makes one wonder abort the quality of the people serving on juries.
In any event the US government has the right and obligation to protect the borders by any means necessary.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 10:03 am
Did anyone mention that this drug smuggler was busted again this summer trying to bring more drugs into the US? He was given amnesty against his crimes for testifying in court against the border agents and then he was busted doing the same thing again. What does that say about this guy.

For a more interesting read everyone should find out about Bruno Kirchenwitz. A 7-11 worker who was fired because he wore a border agent hat when he was at work. He had 5 rounds fired at him from an M-1 rifle by an illegal alien. He had left work almost a hr before but this crook still came back a fired into the store when there were other people around. Bruno was fired from 7-11 because of the shots.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 12:14 pm
If the agents felt they were in danger and justified to shoot then why did they lie about the incident?

It is reasonable to conclude the agents didn't feel the shooting was justified which is why they didn't report it correctly. It's one thing to make a snap judgement about whether a perp has a gun. It's something else to cover up the shooting when they were no longer in danger.

That being said, I agree ebrown that if the "use of a handgun in a felony" statute was used it was too much.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 01:13 pm
parados wrote:
If the agents felt they were in danger and justified to shoot then why did they lie about the incident?

It is reasonable to conclude the agents didn't feel the shooting was justified which is why they didn't report it correctly. It's one thing to make a snap judgement about whether a perp has a gun. It's something else to cover up the shooting when they were no longer in danger.

That being said, I agree ebrown that if the "use of a handgun in a felony" statute was used it was too much.

There is nothing in the USBP code that says it must be reported in writing.
The 2 agents did say that their supervisor was there with them when they were picking up their brass at the scene.
That tells me the supervisor knew about it,so in the same situation it would be safe to assume the supervisor knew about the shooting.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 01:57 pm
That's interesting MM.. Here is their supervisor testifying to Congress..
Quote:

Former Chief Patrol Agent of the El Paso Border Patrol Luis Barker, who supervised Ramos and Compean at the time of the shooting, said if the agents had correctly reported the incident, their punishment would have been avoided. Regrettably, Barker said, Ramos and Compean "used deadly force when it should not have been applied; they shot a person in direct violation of firearms policy."

"The agents destroyed evidence, filed an incomplete report on the incident in an effort to keep the shooting and circumstances surrounding it from leadership," Barker said.

source
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 02:22 pm
The border agents could not have thought they were in danger. The captive was in their custody when he dashed away and was shot. Some threat!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 02:33 pm
Advocate wrote:
The border agents could not have thought they were in danger. The captive was in their custody when he dashed away and was shot. Some threat!

How do you know what they thought?
You werent there.

In a situation like that,I will always give the agents the benefit of the doubt until it is PROVEN they acted wrong.

Notwithstanding the verdict, after reading the transcript I dont think it was proven.

But,I wasnt on the jury,and they saw it differently.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 02:40 pm
Re: Border Patrol Agents in Jail
ebrown_p wrote:
This is a thread about Ramos and Campeon, two border patrol agents in jail for shooting someone in the buttocks. The story is outlined (I tried to find the most non-biased source possible) in Goode wants patrolmen released.

Now before my conservative friends get to uptight... I think these two men should have their sentences commuted. However I think that this case has brought out an unwarranted and hysterical reaction that has warped the truth.

Let's look at the facts.

1) These two men were convicted of several crimes. These crimes included unlawful use of deadly force, and the destroying evidence and falsifying reports to cover up the incident.

These are without question crimes under US law.

2) These two men were convicted of this crime in a fair trial. The jury was made up of 12 US citizens who made a unanimous decision. The trial was presided over by a US citizen judge. The prosecutor was a US citizen and all of the witnesses (save one) were US citizens.

The hysterical claims that this verdict was an attack on US citizens is ridiculous... since everyone except for one witness (the guy who was shot) was a US citizen.

Several Border Patrol agents (who are not known to be pro-illegal-immigrant) testified against the defendants for the very reasons I list below.

3) There are good reasons that we pass laws restricting who police officers can shoot.

Our constitution guarantees the rights to due process for everyone in the country (and yes, the Supreme Court has found time and time again that this includes illegal immigrants).

If you allow the police to shoot criminals... you undermine the foundation of our law which calls for due process. The police are allowed to use deadly force in certain circumstances, but the circumstances are strictly regulated by law, and by department policy.

Ramos and Campeon were found by a jury to have broken both department policy, and US law in this matter.

4) Some conservatives are claiming that the fact the guy who was shot was not a very likable fellow means that it was OK for these officers to shoot them.

This of course is silly. Police officers are not allowed to shoot people simply because they are bad people. This is what our legal system is for (see above).

5) There are complaints that the trial was unfair because the jury wasn't told the victim was a bad guy.

Anyone who understands US law knows that this is a fallacious argument. The officers were on trial for a criminal offense (they committed a crime). Who the victim is irrelevant under the law.

If you murder a criminal, you are still a murderer.

Now I did say that I think their crimes should be commuted-- and I mean it. The reason is the one argument that conservatives are making that is correct.

The officers were charged with "use of a handgun during a felony". This is clearly a misuse of the statute to apply this to a law officer in the course of their jobs. This greatly increased the amount of their sentences.

This was clearly a tactic used by the prosecutor to try to get a guilty plea. I think this "tough on crime" things goes too far and these tactics cause undo hardship to people who have been convicted of crimes.

I also think these two have been turned into political pawns which doesn't help the country in this contentious issue.

I would support the commutation of the rest of their sentence.

You may think I am being soft

But, if I insisted on harsh punishment for one group of lawbreakers based on the "rule of law" and then tried to get compassionate treatment for another group simply because of which side of a contentious political debate they were on...

That would be awfully hypocritical.
Very well thought out position, Ebrown. I agree that the enhancement statute was used incorrectly and that that portion of the conviction deserves to be nullified. The balance should stand as I have no desire to live where police get away with attempting to cover up their wrong-doing. The public has a tremendous interest in seeing to it that the rules of engagement for the use of deadly force are rigorously enforced.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 04:56 pm
mysteryman wrote:
http://www.utexas.edu/police/manual/a12.html

Note this part...
Quote:
Officers may use deadly force only when the officer reasonably believes that the action is in defense of human life, including the officer's own life, or in defense of any person in imminent danger of serious physical injury

You're using the University of Texas campus police department?

Seriously?

I went to UT, and I think Cyclo did, too.

I can assure you, this is not the cream of the law-enforcement crop.

Remember, "you can't spell stupid without UTPD."
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 07:04 pm
DrewDad wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
http://www.utexas.edu/police/manual/a12.html

Note this part...
Quote:
Officers may use deadly force only when the officer reasonably believes that the action is in defense of human life, including the officer's own life, or in defense of any person in imminent danger of serious physical injury

You're using the University of Texas campus police department?

Seriously?

I went to UT, and I think Cyclo did, too.

I can assure you, this is not the cream of the law-enforcement crop.

Remember, "you can't spell stupid without UTPD."

Then look up the weapons regs for any police dept you want and you will see that they all same the same thing,or something real similiar.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 09:21 pm
Nah. I just wanted to badmouth the UT police department. Racist pigs.

Carry on.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 06:47 am
Baldimo,

Is this the guy you are whining about?

http://wnd.com/images2/kirchenwitz.jpg

I can't imagine this guy starting any trouble, can you?

What a joke.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 03:47 pm
And you are looking down your nose at him because he dosent wear a suit and a tie maybe.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 07:03 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Dont misunderstand me.
My feelings toward drug dealers and drug smugglers are irrelevant in this case.

The 2 USBP officers were,in my opinion,justified in using deadly force because they thought their lives were in danger.
Even if the bad guy is running away,he can still shoot you..

And yes,I have read the transcript of the trial.
I am not saying the 2 agents are blameless,nor am I saying they are perfect officers, but I am saying that based on their testimony I dont think they should have been convicted.

Since neither you or I were there,we must take their word that they felt their lives were threatened and that is why they used deadly force..

I also freely admit that my own political bias might be causing me to reach the conclusion I have,just as you must admit that your political bias has done the same thing.

So you are basing your view of this case solely on their testimony? What about the rest of the evidence at trial?

Their supervisor testified to congress different from what you think happened. They didn't file the report which would have been easy to do if they really felt like their lives were in danger.

If someone says their actions were justified then they act in a fashion that appears to try to hide what they did it is reasonable to believe they didn't feel they were justified. I believe the jury took the time to look at all the evidence and not just the defense.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 07:32 pm
rabel22 wrote:
And you are looking down your nose at him because he dosent wear a suit and a tie maybe.

I am just suggesting that given the story he and the right wingers behind him are trying to get the public to swallow, that t-shirt he chose to wear for the press is not the smartest choice.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 11:39 pm
The law shud be clear that we will defend our borders
with deadly force
; i.e., illegal aliens caught jumping
the wall will be shot on sight.

That will bring a swift end to illegal aliens jumping the wall.

David
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:12 am
Factually David, The law says the exact opposite.

That is why these two gentlemen are in jail.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:55 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Factually David, The law says the exact opposite.

That is why these two gentlemen are in jail.

I have not read the applicable statute; ( I 'll take your word for it )
but my post was intended as an exhortation
to create a jurisprudential basis
for American citizens to lawfully defend our borders with deadly force.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:58 am
W shud not have let ten minutes pass
b4 giving them each a full pardon with thanx for their service and a warm handshake.

maybe a gold medal for marksmanship
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:00 am
I don 't think much of W.

I 'm glad I don 't work for him.
0 Replies