Slivers, splinters, and slides...

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:02 pm
Well, I stepped on some damned thing. It's hanging around in the ball of my foot, that is, in the cushiony pad of foot area, tucked right into the high part of that. If I step on the tile, ooohey; if I wear certain shoes, I can walk pretty well without hitting it. As luck would have it, I just bought, on sale, some of those gawdawful plastic sloparounds in bright yellow, from Walgreen's.

First of all, it's a blonde sliver. Not glass. Yes, I've read sliver websites. I know to rush to the doctor if it's not glass but some herbacious item.
Eh, no infection. It's just THERE. It's not going to granuloma, as a verb, unless it breaks off.

So, I finally found a website with lots of home remedy stuff. The serious med websites make getting a sliver out major minor surgery.

Trouble is, I can't really see the thing. Would that it were not blonde...
I know it is no big deal, it'll work it's way out, as it's feelable to start with.

So far, I've tried epsom salts. Elmer's glue. Tweezers, of course. Have not gone and bought fatback, or tried bread and a bandaid (do you soak the bread first?). I may be forced to go to the drugstore and buy castor oil... or try my old mother in law's remedy of dabs of ammonia. Oh, and I've already tried Hydrogen peroxide. My mother in law, bless her obnoxious heart, was an r.n., and a Montana girl, and ammonia dabbing has worked somewhere in our past. So, I have ammonia, but haven't tried it yet.

Worse comes to worse, when Bernie and Lola get here, I'll say hi and hand them the tweezers...

Oh, I also didn't try duct tape. Have some. Thinking on it. If only I could see which direction the little devil is facing...

Any sliver excising ideas?

That home remedy website, by the way, for what it's worth, is -
http://www.otan.dni.us/webfarm/emailproject/splinter.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,701 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:10 pm
If none of that works, it'll start to fester up, so you can see it. It's easier to get out, too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:55 pm
Righto!

I don't actually mind granulomas - I had one from a thorn for years, and then it went away.

Still, as it is, I have trouble focussing my admittedly weird eyeballs on this blond thorny thing, ball of my foot a foot from my face. Goatshead has come to mind, but it's not as horrible as that.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:29 pm
dunno. i won't be much of a help. when faced with an invisible splinter, i need to dig and dig no matter the pain, until it's out. i have a ridiculously high threshold though and am obsessive.... so i'm all for machette, axe, scalpel self-surgery approach...
hope that helps. Confused
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:24 pm
a "Montana girl"?? Well, you know where I'm going with this, don't you, osso? Laughing Try the following:

1. Undress and climb on a yellow tractor

2. Visit your local Bulk Barn

3. Dig a pencil out of your head

4. All of the above

Please let us know what works.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:31 pm
Yelling with laughing....

Meantime, I'm wearing these obnoxious yellow plastic shoes.. including when getting out of bed.

There are these plastic prong thingies that keep the foot pad et al propped up. Thus, the malevolent thorny thing hasn't zeroed in on my heart yet.

Signed,

Drama queen

We'll see.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:40 pm
(I'd be glad to gouge it out surgically or grossly, if I could just see it.)

I trust this will pass, but in the meantime, I'm amused.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:05 am
Does Androcles Lion make house calls?

Of course, he might charge a foot or a leg.
0 Replies