If I am dubious, is it possible that I do not exist?

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:19 am
Much doubt has been raised in another circle of this forum regarding the use of the word dubious.

One member to another wrote:
I'm dubious that you have the courage. . .
To which the other replied:
Quote:
. . .your use of the word dubious gives rise to much uncertainty about your rhetorical logic.
I have always been of the understanding that the word dubious refers only to things, whereas the word doubtful more clearly represents uncertainty in a person.

What do the experts think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,827 • Replies: 17
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:29 am
It's rather dubious that your case has merit.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:30 am
Re: If I am dubious, is it possible that I do not exist?
neologist wrote:

We think that we are.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:33 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Hmm. But do you also doubt that my case has merit? Or are you, yourself, dubious?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:

INDUBILITY!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:44 am
dyslexia wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

INDUBILITY!
HMMM!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:10 am
Re: If I am dubious, is it possible that I do not exist?
neologist wrote:
I have always been of the understanding that the word dubious refers only to things, whereas the word doubtful more clearly represents uncertainty in a person.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

du·bi·ous
adj.
1. Fraught with uncertainty or doubt; undecided.
2. Arousing doubt; doubtful
3. Of questionable character

I don't see how a "thing" can be "fraught" with anything or of "questionable character".
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:33 am
I am more concerned with the specificity of language. Hence my response in the aforementioned thread.

[quote="neologist"]FAI (For anyone's information)

Regarding the proper use of the word dubious:

". . . a person is capable of doubting, whereas a thing is dubitable; dubious, dubious, unlike doubtful, carries the connotation of suspicion."

Source[/quote]
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 11:42 am
the word "dubious" can be applied to persons. It means the same as "doubtful".

My mother is dubious about Senator Soundgoode's election promises.

I told my wife I had just been helping the young lady adjust her stocking, but she seemed dubious about my explanation.

Many people are dubious about the possibility of intelligent life on other planets.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 06:30 pm
I continue to differ as do the experts:

doubtful or dubious
If something is doubtful it is uncertain, and one needs to know more about it: The weather looks doubtful (it may rain, but it may not). If a thing is dubious it raises or causes doubt: He gave a dubious reply when I asked him about it; Christine had the rather dubious privilege of staying behind to keep an eye on things.

Source
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 05:34 am
Well, here are some more "sources" apart from the dubious Hutchinson's Encyclopaedia (which is often given away free on the covers of computer magazines)

(1) wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* doubtful: fraught with uncertainty or doubt; "they were doubtful that the cord would hold"; "it was doubtful whether she would be admitted"; "dubious about agreeing to go"

* doubtful: open to doubt or suspicion; "the candidate's doubtful past"; "he has a dubious record indeed"; "what one found uncertain the other found dubious or downright false"; "it was more than dubitable whether the friend was as influential as she thought"- Karen Horney

* not convinced; "they admitted the force of my argument but remained dubious"

(2) Encarta Wordnet

1. unsure about outcome: not sure about an outcome or conclusion
I was a little dubious about whether or not to trust him.

2. possibly dishonest or immoral: likely to be dishonest, untrustworthy, or morally worrisome in some way
It's a dubious proposition.

3. of uncertain quality: of uncertain quality, intention, or appropriateness
The thesis is based on several dubious assumptions.

(3) Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary

1 thought not to be completely true or not able to be trusted:
These claims are dubious and not scientifically proven.
He has been associated with some dubious characters.
Ruth Ellis has the dubious (= bad) distinction of being the last woman to be hanged in Britain.

2 feeling doubt or uncertainty:
I'm dubious about his promises to change his ways.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:44 pm
Would anyone agree that the word dubious has at least the connotation of relating to authenticity? I know for sure it once had and I know language is constantly changing. Still, I would like to see this word reserved for situations of intellectual or moral honesty.

With that understanding, a person claiming to be dubious about a certain issue would be of dubious rhetorical skill.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:05 pm
neologist wrote:
Still, I would like to see this word reserved for situations of intellectual or moral honesty.

With that understanding, a person claiming to be dubious about a certain issue would be of dubious rhetorical skill.

I am afraid, Neologist, that you are, in my opinion, spouting rubbish. English usage, still less dictionaries, pay no heed to what you once "knew for sure". A person claiming to be dubious about a certain issue, would, in British English speaking areas of the world, be speaking with perfect correctness and appropriateness.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 03:45 pm
British, yeah.

What about English? Smile
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:12 am
Quote:
princeton.edu

That's not in Britain, though.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:05 am
Re connotations:
Taking your sources, but changing the emphasis.

(1) wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* doubtful: fraught with uncertainty or doubt; "they were doubtful that the cord would hold"; "it was doubtful whether she would be admitted"; "dubious about agreeing to go"

* doubtful: open to doubt or suspicion; "the candidate's doubtful past"; "he has a dubious record indeed"; "what one found uncertain the other found dubious or downright false"; "it was more than dubitable whether the friend was as influential as she thought"- Karen Horney

* not convinced; "they admitted the force of my argument but remained dubious"

(2) Encarta Wordnet

1. unsure about outcome: not sure about an outcome or conclusion
I was a little dubious about whether or not to trust him.

2. possibly dishonest or immoral: likely to be dishonest, untrustworthy, or morally worrisome in some way
It's a dubious proposition.

3. of uncertain quality: of uncertain quality, intention, or appropriateness
The thesis is based on several dubious assumptions.

(3) Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary

1 thought not to be completely true or not able to be trusted:
These claims are dubious and not scientifically proven.
He has been associated with some dubious characters.
Ruth Ellis has the dubious (= bad) distinction of being the last woman to be hanged in Britain.

2 feeling doubt or uncertainty:
I'm dubious about his promises to change his ways

Apparently some agree with me on the authenticity/honesty connotation.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:14 am
neologist, all you are highlighting is that the word "dubious", like many other English words, has multiple meanings and uses. Maybe that fact disturbs you, but it is a feature of the English language.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:58 am
contrex wrote:
neologist, all you are highlighting is that the word "dubious", like many other English words, has multiple meanings and uses. Maybe that fact disturbs you, but it is a feature of the English language.
What is disturbing is the tendency of some to use the thesaurus as a repository of intellectual sounding words in vain attempts to add an air of scholarship to their theses.

There may be dozens of synonyms for any word. Not all of them are appropriately used as cut and paste substitutes.

Plain talk beats recondite rhetoric and esoteric erudition any day.
0 Replies