Colin Powell to leave Bush Adm. on 1/21/05

Sofia

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 09:18 am
Tartarin wrote:
Mamaj is right about Dowd. She's an equal opportunity insulter and has disgusted us a number of times recently (and many of us have said so). But she's comfortable with herself and respects herself and has some depth of conviction. Coulter -- like Limbaugh -- screeches but never sounds convinced, just cornered. It's as though either could just as easily jump on another bandwagon.

Dowd is a liberal. Her views of policy come out in her writings, and those views are liberal. It is to her credit that she doesn't rubber stamp every poot out of the Democrat party. So, she's not an apologist, and has been known to draw distinctions with the prevailing Democrat talkers.

About Coulter-- Yeah. I can see her waking up liberal one morning. Shocked
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 09:53 am
Well, there is something about Dowd which is very liberal, and that's her combination of intellectuality and humor. It's a combination which conservatives just hate and it has come to define liberals in their eyes.

That lightness of touch has invaded Safire's columns more and more lately, startling liberals (and pleasing us!) and probably driving his old fans crazy. Then he goes back to unwavering support for Israel and loses us again. Meanwhile Friedman drums on, a snare drum of neo-con-ventionality.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 09:59 am
"that's her combination of intellectuality and humor. "

Funny, that's how many conservatives would describe Coulter. No one dislikes smart and funny, so that probably isn't what makes one lady liked by one group and hated by another group. Many people also find Rush Intellectual and humorous (although even *I* can't listen to more than 5 minutes of his show).
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:04 am
McG -- I make a distinction between "smart and funny" and "intellectual and humorous." The latter tends to include a touch of self-deprecation.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 11:01 am
How noble of you.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 11:08 am
Coulter is funny? Is that what her extreme views (liberals are traitors, that sort of thing) are meant to be--humor? If so, I have a better appreciation of what she's doing. Stand-up comedy for the True Believers!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 11:21 am
So what does that say, D'art, about those who laugh with her? Or are they laughing AT her?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 11:38 am
Well, you know what the much maligned French say - Chacun a son gout (minus all the accent marks) - meaning each to his own taste.

However, there are some differences between these two. There never seems to have been a need for Maureen Dowd (or Molly Ivins) to go out on the talk show circuit in order to establish their credentials. They do their jobs, are well known for what they do, are read, and Dowd is better known by the words she writes than by what she wears or looks like. Coulter is for those who prefer a different package. That's basically what Coulter is - a package. She knows it, and plays it. But what's inside is sort of an empty space. I rarely see words by Coulter (breathless or otherwise) quoted. Ivins and Dean speak to a variety of things and issues, and are frequently quoted.

But - it depends as always on what you like to read.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 11:45 am
Or not, as the case may be!!

I like the notion of the package, Mamaj!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 11:53 am
Right-o re the Coulter package. She was even profiled recently by the NY Times in a Styles piece. Dining daintily at some trendy Manhattan venue. Clearly she'll appear anywhere to promote herself. Well, maybe not everywhere, but who really knows?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:06 pm
Here's the difference:

Dowd is not a liberal. Doesn't call herself a liberal.

There are at least five of us on this thread who've said Dowd is not a liberal, and who don't (I would say in at least in some cases) consider ourselves liberal, at least not the conservative-proscribed definition.

I don't think Coulter would deny the label conservative, don't think any of you calling Dowd liberal would deny Coulter is a conservative, and don't think any of you would deny calling yourselves conservative.

Save the labels. Unless it simply helps you to (mis-)understand better.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:08 pm
Yes SIR!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:21 pm
Consider his piece in the current issue of Foreign Policy, ol' Newtie (A secretary of state named after a slimy amphibian.....) is the annointed selectee.
I can see the new motto of the State Dept. :" they turned us into a newt..."
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 07:00 am
Nah.

I'll call her a liberal. If she turns conservative, don't worry, I'll call her that. Why are people so afraid of the word 'liberal'?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 07:37 am
Call her whatever you like. It doesn't reflect badly on her...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 10:15 am
I don't think liberal is a bad word.
It doesn't reflect badly on anybody.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 10:18 am
Wink
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 12:13 pm
Coulter is actually a Fascist!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 12:19 pm
Excuse me for saying so, but Coulter has the worst case of penis envy I've ever seen displayed in public.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 12:50 pm
Can't touch that..........
0 Replies