Colin Powell to leave Bush Adm. on 1/21/05

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 11:25 pm
washingtonpost.com
State Dept. Changes Seen if Bush Reelected
Powell and Armitage Intend to Step Down

By Glenn Kessler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 4, 2003; Page A01

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell and his deputy, Richard L. Armitage, have signaled to the White House that they intend to step down even if President Bush is reelected, setting the stage for a substantial reshaping of the administration's national security team that has remained unchanged through the September 2001 terrorist attacks, two wars and numerous other crises.

Armitage recently told national security adviser Condoleezza Rice that he and Powell will leave on Jan. 21, 2005, the day after the next presidential inauguration, sources familiar with the conversation said. Powell has indicated to associates that a commitment made to his wife, rather than any dismay at the administration's foreign policy, is a key factor in his desire to limit his tenure to one presidential term.

Rice and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul D. Wolfowitz are the leading candidates to replace Powell, according to sources inside and outside the administration. Rice appears to have an edge because of her closeness to the president, though it is unclear whether she would be interested in running the State Department's vast bureaucracy.

With 18 months left in Bush's current term, many officials said talk of a new foreign policy team is highly premature -- particularly because Bush's reelection is not assured. No one inside or outside the administration agreed to be quoted by name or affiliation in discussing possible Cabinet choices. But on the eve of the country's first post-Sept. 11, 2001, presidential campaign, in which foreign affairs will play a prominent role, the national security lineup for a second Bush term is already a major topic of conversation, at least among those who make and analyze U.S. foreign policy.

Indeed, Director of Central Intelligence George J. Tenet is already the third longest serving CIA chief and is expected to depart, perhaps before the current term ends. Tenet's role in the Iraq weapons controversy has led to calls on Capitol Hill for his dismissal, fueling speculation he will quit soon.

The current administration has been characterized by fierce policy disputes, often between Powell and more hawkish members, and a reshuffling likely would significantly change the tenor and character of the foreign policy team.

Although Bush appears to value the range of opinions he has received from his chief national security advisers, he may feel free if he wins a second term to realign his foreign policy more closely to the harder-edged, conservative view exemplified by Vice President Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, according to Zbigniew Brzezinski, President Jimmy Carter's national security adviser.

Powell has staffed key positions in the State Department with close associates, and many of those officials also are expected to leave at the beginning of a second Bush term, giving the new secretary of state the opportunity to substantially re-staff the department.

Some observers have speculated that Powell, who made an extensive presentation before the United Nations in February on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction before the war, has been embarrassed by the failure to find much evidence of chemical, biological or nuclear weapons programs. But Powell, both publicly and privately, has said he has no regrets about his comments to the Security Council, arguing that they hold up well if read carefully.

Powell has declined to answer questions about his plans. "I serve at the pleasure of the president," he said last month. "That's the only answer I've ever given to that question, no matter what form it comes in."

Bush recently named Rice as his personal representative on the Middle East conflict, a move that some State Department officials view as an audition for secretary of state. Republican political operatives have also touted Rice as a possible candidate in the 2006 race for California governor.

But Rice's image has been tarnished by the fallout over the administration's use of intelligence about Iraq's weapons, raising questions about her scrutiny of the materials and the veracity of her public statements.

Rice "is an honest, fabulous person, and America is lucky to have her service, period," Bush said at a news conference before departing for his August vacation.

Wolfowitz, the administration's foreign policy intellectual and prime advocate of a confrontation with Iraq, would be a more daring and controversial choice. A senior Senate Democrat said Wolfowitz would have little trouble winning confirmation in a Republican-controlled Senate. But others said that because Wolfowitz is considered more of a strategic thinker than a manager, he could be tapped as Rice's replacement as national security adviser if she became secretary of state or entered politics.

Long-shot candidates for secretary would include Sen. Richard G. Lugar (R-Ind.), the centrist chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee who is a strong supporter of Powell. Lugar is so respected by Democrats that his name was also floated during the Clinton administration.

Another dark horse is former House speaker Newt Gingrich. The Georgia Republican appears to be openly campaigning for the job, arguing in speeches and in a recent Foreign Policy magazine article that the State Department under Powell has failed to adequately support Bush's policies.

Among other key members of the foreign policy team, Rumsfeld is deeply involved in modernizing the military, as well as in the Pentagon's ongoing operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, and appears willing to stay on beyond the start of a second term, officials said.

If Rice became secretary of state, that would open up another key slot -- national security adviser. Although Wolfowitz is considered a strong possibility, Rice's deputy, Stephen J. Hadley, could move up, much as Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger did when President Bill Clinton won a second term.

Officials also said another strong candidate is I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Cheney's chief of staff and already a principal foreign policy adviser inside the White House.

A dark-horse candidate for national security adviser is Steve Biegun, chief foreign affairs aide to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.), who is said to have impressed Bush when he served as executive secretary of the National Security Council early on in the administration.

There appear to be few obvious choices for a new CIA director. Armitage, known as a sharp manager willing to tackle tough projects, is viewed by some officials as the ideal replacement for Tenet. But Armitage has insisted to others that he will leave the administration on the same day as Powell, one of his closest friends.

Rep. Porter J. Goss (R-Fla.), chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and a former CIA case officer, is considered a strong possibility, as is Wolfowitz if he is not tapped for secretary of state or national security adviser.

Two mid-level administration officials who could move up are Stephen A. Cambone, undersecretary of defense for intelligence, and Richard L. Haver, assistant to Rumsfeld on intelligence (and to Cheney when he was defense secretary in the administration of President George H.W. Bush).

Air Force Lt. Gen. Michael V. Hayden, head of the National Security Agency, and retired Adm. William O. Studeman, a former NSA director and former CIA deputy director, are regarded as highly qualified for the job.

Two retired senators who served on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence -- Warren B. Rudman (R-N.H.) and Fred D. Thompson (R-Tenn.) -- are considered long-shot candidates for CIA director. But Thompson, a sometime actor who now appears in the television series "Law and Order," has one unusual attribute: He already played the CIA director in the 1987 Kevin Costner movie "No Way Out."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,055 • Replies: 97
No top replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:52 am
Maybe he'll run against him. Maybe the only one who could unseat Bush.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 07:42 am
Quote:
Maybe he'll run against him. Maybe the only one who could unseat Bush.

I doubt it. IMO Powell is now damaged goods. The aura that he once had is gone.
ยค
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 08:58 am
Yeah. I hope this unsettles some of Bush's more moderate supporters, though.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 09:01 am
Cerealkiller
Cerealkiller, welcome to A2K. Visit often, post a lot.

The article noted that Powell's retirement is effective the day after the next president is sworn in. If it is Bush, then Powell couldn't run against him.

But then there is always Brother Jeb Bush, the Bush grandkids, the Bush investor adviser, the Bush gardener, etc. etc.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:18 pm
BBB
How about the twins there drinking should qualify them. It did their father.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:26 pm
I fear that if Bush is re-elected there will eb a significant policy shirt to the right and that the state department will be as hard-line as the rest of the admin.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:59 pm
I fear that too, Craven, and I'm hoping that's what the moderates will fear as well. (As in, may hopefully impede his chances of re-election.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 02:00 pm
I fear that there is little chance of that...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 02:59 pm
Latest anouncement from Ari Fleicher Part II, Powell is not leaving the Administration. Of course, we must wait and receive information from a reliable source Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:37 pm
Good riddance to bad rubbish if he goes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:39 pm
I think he's going, but they don't want to lame-duck-ize him by making it official. He has less power if people he is dealing with know he will be gone in 18 months, no matter what.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:47 pm
Can one believe anything coming out of that cesspool?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:54 pm
Yes au, that they can't be taken for the spoken word as normally interpreted!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 08:08 pm
He's not the only moderate to jump ship (I actually typo-ed "jump ****" which really makes more sense). And then again, Sec'ys of State usually work in shifts of one term, don't they?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 08:59 pm
Nice typo!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 09:04 pm
I still like Colin Powell. He's been in a tough spot for these last few years. Taking the rest of the leadership in contrast, he's been a bit of bright light in the admin, a tempering quality, some hope. I really EALLY fear for the next admin if Bush gets re-elected and Poweel goes.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 09:14 pm
Thanks, Sozobe! Rereading my post, I'd like to reiterate that Powell is jumping **** and FURTHERMORE is unlikely to work more than one ****. Freud ain't got nothin' on me.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 10:36 pm
Not only Freud, Tart. I sort of picture Powell now as jumping double-dutch over a heaping pile.

And whatever Powell may once have had, he long ago lost it. I'm suprised it took him this long.

Looks like some things are breaking apart. That much vaunted all-together-now Bush policy doesn't seem to be working. And Rumsfeld's making fewer appearances. Maybe he's fishing with Bush?

Rudman would be a good choice, as would Lugar, but I doubt either of them would toe the party line all the time like good little soldiers.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 11:31 pm
Quote:
I fear that if Bush is re-elected there will eb a significant policy shirt to the right

Quote:
I fear that there is little chance of that...

Gee, Craven, I thought you weren't afraid of anything!

~sigh~

Another myth dashed....
0 Replies