STOATMOBILE WORLD TOUR! (all are welcome)

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 06:01 pm
I love maps too, and I am very interested in the San Juan Islands, to which I've never been. Now there was a wobbly sentence. My aunt Nan taught school there in a one room school house around 1918. Last I heard, the school house is still there; I don't know on which island. I'll have to ask my cousins.

Aa, it is such a treat to have you back.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 06:04 pm
I have some tomatoes to share, freshly picked from a friend's garden, with a torn basil and garlic and olive oil dip for those who like a garlic thrill.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 06:05 pm
Capt. Stoat,
If you bank us slightly to the south we can see my house! It's the one with the big cedar tree in the front.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 07:30 pm
This is extremely educational.

I have always prided myself on knowing a little about the rest of the world and it pains me to show my ignorance but I really did believe Washington State was on the Atlantic side of the US, along with Washington DC.

I mean it would make sense to have a city called Washington in a state called Washington wouldn't it?

Are those trees western red cedar down there?
<Feels under seat for the huski 372>
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 08:04 pm
Don't feel bad Dadpad! I didn't even know Washington State was over there Laughing Embarrassed
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 09:16 pm
ossobuco, thank you for the friendly welcome! Joining everybody for this trip is something I couldn't not do! (that is, after tech support came to my rescue)

Your state, by the way, is one where I lived before arriving in California at less than two years old. I don't remember a thing about my stay near Silver City, but I'm told that the babysitter was teaching me Spanish; I would be bilingual if my parents and I had stayed there.

My favorite bit of trivia about San Juan Islands history is the story of the Pig War, in which the United States and the UK were engaged in some military unpleasantness in opposition to each other (if I remember the story correctly).

From here, I can see the curvature of the earth, but I've lost track of ordinary clock time. When I turn in for the night, I hope to dream about all our adventures ahead - and the provender, too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 09:21 pm
Good night, Aa. I'm off to book land myself.
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 11:07 pm
Gaining altitude and finally levelling off for cruising, we hear not the usual sounds of the Transporter system cycling in a new passenger but the whirr and whoosh! of the airlock as a battered, windswept and rather wide-eyed Aa is brought in from hanging on to the exterior fuselage during takeoff.

Aa! It's great to see you but Lawdy, Lawdy, you could have been killed! Here, let's have you checked over by our onboard medical staff to make sure that you're no worse for wear and tear, and then let's get some food into you! I haven't heard of any Guest Cook making his / her presence known on board, so I hope that our regular four-star fare will be okay? How about a nice steak, washed down with some champagne to put some color back in your rosy cheeks? You look a bit pale, having been hanging on in the freezing cold for so long! Whatever you choose to eat, Montana brought some delightful cheesecake for dessert and so that should surely set you right. Welcome aboard, and I beg you, PLEASE don't do that again, okay? We can't be having you sucked into the engines or falling to an untimely demise :-)

Our speed is such that it only takes a moment before we are approaching the San Juan Islands

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Stoat_2006/AerialSanJuansevening.jpg

We bank and circle a few times so that everyone can get a nice look and then we straighten out for our landing approach....which is on the water, just south of San Juan and Lopez Islands. A subtle whirring can be heard underneath our feet as the roadwheels retract and the dual pontoons extend, and a solid 'thunk' is heard as they lock into place. Gradually descending, we kiss the water lightly as we touch down and glide to a stop, while retracting the pontoons and letting the sea-worthy hull down to meet the waters..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Stoat_2006/SanJuans1.jpg

Settling down into the water, and shutting down the jet engines, Evening begins to cast her velvet cloak over the world and her presence is all the more profound due to our location, a half-mile off a shore with few lights of it's own. We engage the propellers and begin to move gracefully Northward through the Straits of Juan de Fuca.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Stoat_2006/SanJuansevening1.jpg

As God's gentle creatures begin to draw their busy day to a close on land, quite the opposite is happening below us. Neptune's realm is arising, and the evening dance of life and death that has played out over billions of years begins anew. Steering toward land and moving slowly, the stoatmobile extends it's diving planes and angles them downward, simultaneously blowing air from the ballast tanks. The waves lap against the six-inch thick windows and soon the cabin is bathed in a delightful blue-green light as we make the wondrous transition to a world that few humans have seen to the degree that we are about to.

NEST: A New World
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 11:11 pm
<deep breath> it's soooo beautiful!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 11:15 pm
'S great. Stoat, Aa, and scenery to boot.
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:26 am
As we descend to the murky depths, we activate the hull-mounted microphones so that we can hear the sounds of the Deep. These are not tropical waters, and so they are limiting of our field of view due, essentially, to the abundance of life. Plankton and microscopic organisms are prolific, as they provide sustenance for other animals of all sizes. The density of these tiny creatures is so great that our visibility is limited to only about thirty feet, even with our powerful exterior lighting. Down we go to visit an area that the inventor of the aqua-lung and SCUBA legend Jaques Cousteau proclaimed as being his second-favorite diving site, eclipsed on his list only by the wonders of the Red Sea.

Squeals of delight erupt in the passenger cabin and everyone rushes to the starboard side, where an ever-curious Orca whale appears, perhaps thinking that the stoatmobile is a strange-looking relative

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Stoat_2006/orca1.jpg

being highly social animals, this Orca's family group ("pod") soon appears, and we can easily hear their loud conversations

(on the above linked page, you may need to right-click on the download link and select 'save target as' , save to your desktop and then play the sound file from there)

NEXT: A New World, Part 2
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:46 am
If you all don't mind, I'm going to swim with the whales :-D

<Dives in the water and begins to talk back to the whales>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:39 am
sings this song for Jacques Cousteau.

CALYPSO by John Denver
Dedicated to Captain Jacques-Yves Cousteau and all who served on the good ship, "Calypso"

To sail on a dream on a crystal clear ocean
To ride on the crest of the wild raging storm
To work in the service of life and the living
In search of the answers to questions unknown
To be part of the movement and part of the growing
Part of beginning to understand

CHORUS
Aye Calypso
The place's you've been to
The things that you've shown us
The stories you tell
Aye Calypso
I sing to your spirit
The men who have served you
So long and so well

Like the dolphin who guides you
You bring us beside you
To light up the darkness and show us the way
For though we are strangers in your silent world
To live on the land we must learn from the sea
To be true as the tide
And free as a wind-swell
Joyful and loving in letting it be
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 05:08 am
Ooooooooooooooh!

Orcas!

Wow! Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 07:26 am
Beautiful!
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:05 am
Oo-o-o-oh, Orcas, I hear you singing to us!
(Roger, I see by the rapt expression on your face that you are listening to them, too.)
<very>
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:06 am
...very contented sigh>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:09 am
Room fer a little 'un?
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:08 pm
dlowan wrote:
Room fer a little 'un?

Hello dlowan! Of course there is always room for you, and here is some nice bunny food for you :-)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Stoat_2006/carrotslettuce.jpg

Please make yourself at home and let us know if you need anything at all.

As we decend, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for not welcoming all new travelers individually and assuring their comfort and happiness. My tiny little furry stoat brain has been overly focused on designing this Tour and I have forsaken my hosting duties far more so than I should. My great hope is that ALL participants feel equally welcome on board.....please don't feel left out if I have not responded to your post(s) individually and PLEASE know that no offense is intended.....any lapses in my hosting courtesies are due entirely to my lack of ability, not to any intentional unkindness. If I've failed to address a question or concern, please post it again and I will do my best to respond.

At this time I also have a request that I'd like to make. Because I still am not allowed PM priviledges here at A2K I am unable to do this myself and so I must ask for assistance. There is a member of the A2K community named Gustav Ratzenhofer (sp?) that I would like to extend a boarding invitation to. He is over 100 years old and lives at the edge of a swamp surrounded by various exotic animals that he breeds (for what purpose I remain unsure). I think that he might enjoy going on a vacation such as this so that he might have a change of scenery and have an improvement is his diet and overall living conditions. He is a good man who can be counted on to find innovative if unorthodox solutions to nearly any problem that might crop up, and if past Tours are any indication, I am guessing that it won't be long before some sort of a problem arises.

If someone would be so kind as to PM him and invite him on board, I would sincerely appreciate it :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 01:36 pm
Hmmmm.... now that I think about it I'm wondering where has Gus been. In jail again?
0 Replies