Fascinating article on group therapy re marriages

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:01 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/magazine/12cples.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all

It's a long article in tomorrow's NY Times Magazine. I'm still thinking about it. I can say I found it useful reading.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 890 • Replies: 9
No top replies

TTH

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:31 pm
Thanks ossobuco Smile
When I have time I would like to read it, so I bm it
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:39 pm
Oh god yes.

Quote:
In "Intimate Terrorism," Michael Vincent Miller theorizes that marriage, like childhood, has developmental stages, the most dangerous of which, following the heady romantic period, can be summed up as: This person, or this union, isn't at all what I imagined. What can easily happen at this point, he writes, is that because modern marriage is "under so much pressure to provide so many levels of fulfillment," because "love and sex are so thoroughly . . . bound up with one's sense of identity as a man, as a woman," people become consumed with feelings of failure, feelings that are so unbearable that spouses lash out at their partners rather than apprehend their own panic or contribution to the decline.

The core problem, he goes on, is that our culture doesn't teach us "to fail gracefully or fruitfully." Instead, "our notion of the comeback is an attempt to recapture original glory." The husbands and wives who can move beyond terrorizing each other, or avoid doing so in the first place, he speculates, are those who can first acutely experience their profound disappointment in their inevitably changed circumstances: "Unlike jealousy, cruelty, or boredom, disappointment contains secret hints of mutuality. . . . It is not such a long stretch from disappointment to empathy."

I mean, I just wrote a variation of this recently, but this says it so well.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:17 pm
I'm in the middle of reading it-- had to pop in here to say thanks for posting this, Osso, it's fascinating...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:27 pm
It really is, I forgot to say so in my enthusiasm for the part I quoted. I think the aspects of why group therapy can work really well are especially interesting, too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:34 pm
Me too. I'm enthralled. I can well imagine difficulties past what happens with this particular therapist. And I can well understand the benefits. Very complex situation, the couple groups.. The article emphasizes the complexity of seemingly simple disjuncture... and then this becomes part of an interweave.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 09:08 pm
Riveting, yes, agreed......still reading...

(A2K is a little, no - a lot, like group therapy, IMO....)

Back to reading....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 09:10 pm
I thought that thought too, heatwave.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:40 am
I'm reminded that Group Therapy is the most effective way of dealing with Spousal Abusers.

Faced with a Therapist, the Client can still rationalize his behavior to himself. After all, "She asked for it."

Faced with a room of Spousal Abusers and former Spousal Abusers rationalization is much harder.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:51 am
I guess people serve as mirrors for each other. It's always easier to see faults in others. The next step would be to turn it inwards and ask 'do I do this too?' (Not just abusers, groups in therapy in general.)
0 Replies