More Bad News

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:08 pm
It's been my week for horrendous news.

Just got word tonight that a family member is in a coma and near death. She is a cancer victim.

It's so damned sad. These are my folk that left New Orleans to escape Katrina in 2005. My cousin and his family took only a few changes of clothing and drove to Houston, expecting to be back home in a few days. Well, they lost everything after the levees were breached, their home and just about everything in it. When they went back to view the damage, there had been 6 ft. of water and all they were able to salvage were 'things' that sat up high on top of a few tall cabinets that hadn't toppled over. They were devastated and shortly afterwards, my cousin, only 59 years old, suffered a heart attack. He managed to recover but then they discovered his wife's cancer and now, this is where they are...

It's just so very sad.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,580 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:27 pm
That fate could deal such a harsh hand seems at times hard to believe! How is the insurance situation all-around?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:31 pm
I honestly don't know. My cousin is very, very proud and very tightlipped about such things.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:35 pm
Man, eoe, you and your family/friends have had a rough year!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:37 pm
I'm so sorry, (((((((eoe))))))!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:53 pm
I'm really sorry about that, and even more about this massive amount of horrendous bad news, eoe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 11:06 pm
Wow, eoe.

On katrina, you don't want to hear from me, I'll rip up and sideways but I'm rad on some of it, rad rad.

On your family, the care has not been in place. Or has it?

Howsomever, I'm very sorry.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 04:16 am
Oh, eoe I'm so sorry to read this.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 05:37 am
Eoe--

I'm so sorry. You must feel terribly besieged and beset right now.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 05:39 am
I'm sorry.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:01 am
eoe, I'm so sorry for your family's troubles. Katrina spawned so many different types of pain and suffering.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:56 am
Thank you all on behalf of my family. My heart is very heavy this morning, awaiting word.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:57 am
Oh man... not more bad news. I'm sorry, eoe.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:47 am
Oh, no! I'm so sorry, eoe.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:53 am
Oh eoe, I am so sorry. Hang in there, girl. This year has been a real stinker for you.

I would be very interested if anyone is doing a study concerning the rates of serious disease (especially cancer) that has befallen people who have undergone extremely serious stress, like that your family suffered under Katrina.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 08:20 am
eoe
eoe, sad about what is happening in your family. The world is changing for the middle and poor classes in the U.S. We need to pull together to help each other like we did during the Great Depression.

BBB
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 08:23 am
Actually, the year has been great. Very productive. It's just been this particular week that's been so ******* lousy. Our family friend in Chicago losing her son at the hands of the police last Saturday and now, my poor, sweet cousin. He told another relative yesterday "I've lost all of my worldly possessions and now I'm about to lose my wife."

I just want to cry but what's the point?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 08:25 am
The point? Maybe you'll feel a tiny bit better....?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 08:30 am
Quote:
I just want to cry but what's the point?

eoe- The point is that if you cry, the worst case scenario is that you will have your mascara dripping down your face. If you don't, the anguish that you are holding in may just do nasty things to your insides. Bawl away, and throw some dishes if that will make you feel better. Let it out!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 08:36 am
Usually I would agree littlek but, crying won't make it better today. Not even a little bit. And you know what's funny? I have a meeting later this afternoon with a set of new parents, a brand new baby and an excited grandma to design the baby announcement. Pro bono. Because the grandma is a good friend of mine. Also, because the proud grandpa is an actor, the announcement has the potential to be seen by some heavy-hitter Hollywood eyes. It's a wonderful opportunity. And a wonderful assignment. Baby announcements usually are.

So, the Lord giveth...
0 Replies