an interesting idea about smoking

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:29 pm
Last week I went to see my Doc. We had a general discussion about how I viewed my health concerns and somewhere along the line she asked me if I still smoked. I said I do and she said, "I am also a smoker although I don't smoke currently." she went on to ask if I smoked any particular brand and "yes, I said "I always have smoked ****" She responded "so change brands, smoking is not only physically addictive but also psychologically addictive including the visual image of the brand you smoke, I was a Marl**** girl so I only bought Bensen (*****) if you look in my purse you will find a full pack there but I haven't lit one in many years"
So today I bought a totally off brand (to me). An interesting idea.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,047 • Replies: 28
No top replies

JPB

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:33 pm
interesting, indeed.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:39 pm
Is it working?

I was never a brand girl. I always just smoked cigarettes. Then again i never really smoked regularly.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:40 pm
I guess that means I am not a smoker. I only smoke sometimes (sometimes it's more than sometimes)
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:52 pm
I've been doing that for a few years now, for the same reason...Dunno if it's made any difference at all except for the satisfaction I get from not being "branded".

I started smoking those Murkin' Spirits for a while after reading an article about all the additives most companies put in their cigs, but they're kinda hard to find around here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:57 pm
The first time I quit, it was for something like five years. I started again in a lecture in a conference room on, as I remember, the vagaries of uric acid metabolism and some cases illustrating all that. My boss was sitting next to me, puffing away on one of the brands I liked. I signaled for one and he lit if for me. That was it, I must have smoked for almost a decade more, heavily. It was threaded in with a lot I did, like lab work and painting/drawing, answering the phone, making a phone call, writing a report, going out for drinks, yadda yadda yadda. Then I quit again, cold turkey (the first time was cold turkey too), and the second time, the quitting took. Me, I think cold turkey is easier than cutting down over time, but others would disagree.

So, brand did affect me - I wouldn't have asked for a Pall Mall...
So did all the paraphenalia - I liked lighters, from zippos to sterling silver ones. Oy.

Certainly there is a psychological habituation. One gets new habits..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:03 pm
Your doc is brilliant!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:05 pm
But what if he LIKES Virginia Slims.. (do they still make those?)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:11 pm
Oooooo. Virginia Slims. That was my brand. Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:12 pm
I liked them too.

Back then.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:19 pm
yeah...back then.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:29 pm
Every smoking cessation program I participated in started with, "Change brands." I always did, and I inevitably found a brand l liked better than the one I was smoking. Now I smoke Virginia Slims. Switched from Salem, switched from something else, switched from Kent, switched from something else.

I hope this works for you, Dys. Obviously this approach was not all that successful for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 09:43 pm
So help me, I liked menthol over other brands. That cig from the boss was a Newport...

I was aware of a lot of people despising menthol... with any luck, Dys will.

I tried to be sophisticated (I thought), get away from menthol, and smoke Parliaments, whatever - ptui. Camels, Pall Mall, Marlboro, haaaaaaaaaaaack. If one of those was in my purse, it'd be petrified by now.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 08:32 am
I was going to say the same thing about menthol brands, osso. Much tougher to quit those, imo. Roberta, are your VS's menthol? If so, switching from menthol may help.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 03:34 pm
JPB, I didn't smoke menthols until my first smoking cessation group. I had to switch from one to the other. Discovered menthols. When I resumed smoking (yet again), I went to menthols.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:39 pm
When I quit, I did that Dys.

It helps to break your patterns and habits. Honestly, I found that the majority of smoking for me was habit. Deep habits, that left a sort of emptiness inside when I left them.

The habit smokes are easy to leave behind once you set your mind to it and decide what you want instead.

It's the ones where you really, really believe the smoke is going to perform magic that are tougher.

Smoking menthols is a good way to make sure no one bums from you! Laughing
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:43 pm
I quit smoking, yet again, at Easter last year. I quit drinking the previous Christmas. I don't miss either habit but I would like to buy a new pack of smokes just too tear it open. The beer just to lift the cap off of the bottle. It's the smell of both products I like, reminds me of my childhood & grandma & granddads country cottage. The church bells would chime & in the gathering dusk a barn owl would hoot, a passing rat would squeal in death & the vicar would nod as he passed the the window & lit up his pipe watch as the smoke swirled around his head
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 06:56 pm
I think your docs onto something dys.

I smoked parliaments, and not just any parliaments, had to be the longs.

The regulars just didn't taste the same.

I moved somewhere where it wasn't a popular brand, and I had to try benson and hedges....bleech.

I don't think I ever finished a single pack. I'd smoke a few until I found a pack of P's, then throw them out.

I can't stand being around someone smoking, but every once in a while, I'll think...wow...parliaments....then I forget about it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:18 pm
mmmmm

I do miss a ciggie every now and then.

I am one of the unlucky ones.
I cant smoke just one, or smoke every now and then. I have to have it daily, several times.

too expencive for me. No matter what brand it is
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 01:32 am
I TRIED TO GET ADDICTED TO SMOKING, BUT I JUST QUIT AFTER LIKE 3 MONTHS.

they taste like ****, but the headchange is nice.
0 Replies