NFL 2007/8 A2K Road to Phoenix-The Duel In the Desert

lmur

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:03 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I goofed picking Cleveland though.

Yep. But 10 out of 14 aint bad.

HOWEVER:

If my calcs are correct, it's JPB V MsCowdoc for this weeks honours. Both have scored 11 so far. Everyone has picked Pitts and the Patriots (except fbazaer who plumped for Cincinati). EhBeth, Osso and Cowdoc have 10. Pantalones 9 and the rest of us are left licking our wounds.

Here we go:

11 JPB (55) and MsCowdoc (40)
10 osso, ehbeth and cowdoc 10
9 pants
8 wande, edgarblythe, lmur, ragman, CI, sumac
7 rjb, tico, rockhead
6 RP, fbazaer, jespah
5 ltx, george

Apologies for inadequate capitalization - 'tis late, begorrah.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:05 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
So there were only 4 late games. I didn't fare too well. You there, Imur, with the pencil and paper (invest in a red and green highlighter tomorrow), how are we doing?

Note to self: steal highlighters from workplace tomorrow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:08 pm
Thank you for the endeavor, lmur - I checked a few (never ever trust me) and agree with you on the few I checked.

And look, I finally got your name right.

By the way, tap tap tap, I wanna hear more about Italy..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:11 pm
Also, I bet y'all dollars to donuts that JPB was NOT in Las Vegas...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:16 pm
Well done, Imur. Thanks.

And you are right about JPB, osso. She was not in Vegas (I don't know who started that rumor). She was in Charlottesville (my home town) to catch a show by a blues guitarist she likes, and then they went to DC. Cville decidedly aint Vegas.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:45 pm
So glad she got to see you in your environs, rjb. What a treat...
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:51 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Just noticed, Teenyboone got her 1 out of 1....

"I never played the game"! Great book title from Howard Cosell! I was only a high school cheerleader, never a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader, with those "hot pants", Daisy Dukes shirt or those "sexy" boots! My husband's team, the Redskins, coach ought to be fired for those penalties, the "skins" suffered today! Born and raised in New Orleans, I could never stomach, those Saints, but oh, how I love those colors! Always loved those Fleur-de-Lis, though.

I have a small tree, decorated with fleurs, I've collected over the years! They "borrowed", the symbol of New Orleans, for their helmets. Now, instead of the Fleur, being the State Flower and New Orleans symbol of hope, most "morons", who don't know Louisiana History, thinks the Saints "invented" it! NOT!

The Fleur is associated with Louis the IX, who Louisiana is named for and the Fleur was always embroidered in gold thread, on a deep blue velvet, background, trimmed in ermine and draped over the King's shoulders, the symbol of royalty.

Nope, I don't know how to handicap football teams, but I sure know my history! Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:03 pm
I'm really impressed by JPB and MsCowDocs picks for this week. Can they tell us the trick? Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:16 pm
Hi, Teeny. I was born and raised, off and on, and lived, off and on, in Los Angeles, and always hated the Rams...

yeh, you're right, from what I read, unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of the coach's call affected the Washington game. Easy for me to say. I watch the games via Yahoo Sports game channel, not tv.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:27 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm really impressed by JPB and MsCowDocs picks for this week. Can they tell us the trick? Wink

Oddly enough, C.I., both Ms Cowdoc and JPB have recently visited Charlottesville. Charlottesville, otherwise known as the center of the intellectual universe. I gave each of them a vial of our water, and told them to partake of it sparingly. It would give them wisdom.
Damn stuff doesn't work for me, though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:47 pm
rjb, Weren't you warned that too much is a bad thing? LOL
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:12 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Hi, Teeny. I was born and raised, off and on, and lived, off and on, in Los Angeles, and always hated the Rams...

yeh, you're right, from what I read, unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of the coach's call affected the Washington game. Easy for me to say. I watch the games via Yahoo Sports game channel, not tv.

Man,
Those Rams were BIG, back in the late 60's, early 70's! Football Stars, were considered Super-Heroes, with super egos! I had a friend, who worked in the hotel industry and many of the NFL team members stayed in her hotel, which she managed. It had a great Jazz Bar, (Progressive), not Dixieland, when everybody, was hip and cool. Back, when I KNEW everything! My friend would often invite me to some of the Saints, "after parties", and I found them, a bunch of "priviledged" boors! I could never marry one of them, or even date one! They're awful, off the field!

I was in my mid 20's and nothing fazed me! Nothing! Football players, were taking the place of Superman, Spider-Man and Bat-Man! Cowboys, the TV kind, were becoming passe', except for the Rifleman, Bat Masterson and Have Gun-Will Travel! Ronald Reagan was doing commercials for 20 Mule-Team, Borax and was considered a "has-been" of the "B" movies.

America had just landed on the Moon and America was enjoying the myth of The Great America, while war was raging in Viet-Nam, the embargo was in full effect, around Cuba and it would be 20 years before the Berlin Wall, came crumbling down! Dallas was "America's Team", before Ted Turner, would designate the Atlanta Braves, as one and the same!

Riots had broken out in Chicago, Watts, Detroit and Newark, NJ. Ali had told Ameria, he wasn't going to serve on religious and racial grounds and was in danger of having his Title, stripped! The shootings at Ohio and Jackson Mississippi hadn't happened yet, but Malcolm X, JFK, Martin L. King and Bobby Kennedy had all been assassinated, but on Sunday, the NFL had a spell over it's sporting public.

America was in a period of transition. It still is and ever evolving. Today, you can't trust a Democrat or a Republican. They're all crooked, if you ask me. Still, on any given Sunday from August through January, America can take a "time out" and enjoy their favorite NFL team, but I never played the game.

Sharon "Teeny" Boone

Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:21 pm
mmm, in this case, it's Woman! I'm even older than you.. egads. I skipped football for a decade here and there, but paid attention once in a while.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:16 am
Congrats to all on their picks and a fun weekend of games. Great picking you all and particularly to Mrs Cowdoc and JPB.

FWIW, I counted my correct picks and I have 9...not 8.
Isn't that correct? This total inlcudes Thursday Dallas-GB game.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 05:34 am
Buffalo Bills was one of my redemption picks. Others only fared so-so.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:47 am
lmur wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
I goofed picking Cleveland though.

Yep. But 10 out of 14 aint bad.

HOWEVER:

If my calcs are correct, it's JPB V MsCowdoc for this weeks honours. Both have scored 11 so far. Everyone has picked Pitts and the Patriots (except fbazaer who plumped for Cincinati). EhBeth, Osso and Cowdoc have 10. Pantalones 9 and the rest of us are left licking our wounds.

Here we go:

11 JPB (55) and MsCowdoc (40)
10 osso, ehbeth and cowdoc 10
9 pants
8 wande, edgarblythe, lmur, ragman, CI, sumac
7 rjb, tico, rockhead
6 RP, fbazaer, jespah
5 ltx, george

Apologies for inadequate capitalization - 'tis late, begorrah.

Thanks, lmur!!

I'm back and will update the database as soon as I can. Glad to see I'm in such great company on this week's leader board. Good luck, T!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 11:03 am
Gibbs should voluntarily resign after that brain-faaht...
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 07:42 pm
My husband, who loves them, thinks the coach is "brain-dead"! Thinks he should be fired and sent home to his rocking chair! We met in the summer of 1967 and his first date request, was to take me to see the Redskins! He has everything redskins, except a helmet!

Region Philbis wrote:
Gibbs should voluntarily resign after that brain-faaht...
Cool
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:11 pm
I may have the secret to beating "them guys".

It seems that playing one's backup quarterback is the key to success. Confused
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:25 pm
Looks like the Texans' backup QB will finish out the season.
0 Replies