San Francisco
Seattle
New England

Denver 31
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:03 pm
Week 11
This week's selection criterion is to go with the name I like the best out of a given team's roster, pitted against the favorite name from the other team's roster. These can be benchwarmers, injured guys, whatever.

Tampa Bay (5-4) Atlanta (3-6) Atlanta Falcons' Lawyer Milloy over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Barrett Ruud, for all your double-u needs.

Cleveland (5-4) Baltimore (4-5) Cleveland Browns -- it's a tossup between Kamerion Wimbley and Dave Zastudil, and they both beat the Baltimore Ravens' Quinn Sypniewski

Arizona (4-5) Cincinnati (3-6) Arizona Cardinals' Joe Tafoya, which sounds like it could be one word: jotafoya; he squeaks past the Cincinnati Bengals' TJ Houshmandzadeh

NY Giants (6-3) Detroit (6-3) New York Giants' Osi Umenyiora; coulda also gone with Plaxico Burress. He beats the Detroit Lions' Blaine Saipaia. His name is Blaine? That's not a name, that's a major appliance!

Carolina (4-5) Green Bay (8-1) Green Bay Packers' Johnny Jolly. Coulda gone with a guy with the first name of 'Atari', but the Jolly Mon called to me. He beats the Carolina Panthers' Vinny Testaverde.

New Orleans (4-5) Houston (4-5) Houston Texans' Adimchinobe Echemandu beats the New Orleans Saints' Will Smith (not the Independence Day guy).

Kansas City (4-5) Indianapolis (7-2) Indianapolis Colts' Craphonso Thorpe -- I shudder to think of that poor guy's childhood nicknames. He, heh, flushes away the Kansas City Chiefs' Priest Holmes.

San Diego (5-4) Jacksonville (6-3) Jacksonville Jaguars' Uche Nwaneri over the San Diego Chargers' Brandon Manumaleuna. Still, his surname is almost poetic.

Oakland (2-7) Minnesota (3-6) Oakland Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha. Because all names should start with a double N. He beats the Minnesota Vikings' Erasmus James.

Miami (0-9) Philadelphia (4-5) Philadelphia Eagles' Pago Togafau, which sounds like a South Pacific paradise, over the Miami Dolphins' Stiveni Fifita, which sounds like a species of plant.

Pittsburgh (7-2) NY Jets (1-8) Pittsburgh Steelers -- of course it's Ben Roethlisberger; he beats the New York Jets' Marques Tuiasosopo, which sounds like a small town in Mexico. Lots of possibilities on this team.

Washington (5-4) Dallas (8-1) Dallas Cowboys' Flozell Adams beats the Washington Redskins' Antwaan Randle El.

St. Louis (1-8) San Francisco (2-7) San Francisco 49ers' Alex Smith, because someone has to hold up the normalcy standard. He beats the St. Louis Rams' Richie Incognito, who apparently doesn't have to admit that he plays for St. Louis.

Chicago (4-5) Seattle (5-4) Seattle Seahawks' Lofa Tatupu, which could be an appetizer in an ethnic restaurant. Or a shoe. He creams the Chicago Bears' Lousaka Polite.

New England (9-0) Buffalo (5-4) New England Patriots' Junior Seau over the Buffalo Bills' Kiwaukee Thomas. Kiwaukee; isn't that in Wisconsin?

Tennessee (6-3) Denver (4-5) Denver Broncos' Elvis Dumervil (I hear he's left the building) over the Tennessee Titans (not a lot of good choices here, going with LenDale White)
By 27
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:13 pm
When we were setting this thing up for the 4th season, someone asked why we just didn't go to Yahoo, which has a similar game. I said no, it wouldn't work there.
Now yall know why I said that.

Penny and Jespah belong here on A2K.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:30 pm
Well, the wacky names thing is how I was staffing my football fantasy team last year. I had Burress and Houshma etc, etc. for a while there.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:04 pm
Hey Jespah! Tuiasosopo would never be a name for a Mexican town. Sounds like Atokaia to me.

Our towns have simpler names, such as Parangaricutirimícuaro (better known as Parangaricutiro, for short), the town devoured by a nascient vulcano (the Paricutín) in the 1940s.

http://sepiensa.org.mx/contenidos/l_rulfopo/img/rb3.jpg
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:33 pm
Tampa Bay (5-4) Atlanta (3-6) T-Bay
Cleveland (5-4) Baltimore (4-5) C-Land
Arizona (4-5) Cincinnati (3-6) A-Zona
NY Giants (6-3) Detroit (6-3) N-Jork
Carolina (4-5) Green Bay (8-1) G-Bay
New Orleans (4-5) Houston (4-5) N-Leans
Kansas City (4-5) Indianapolis (7-2) I-Olis
San Diego (5-4) Jacksonville (6-3) J-Ille
Oakland (2-7) Minnesota (3-6) M-Sota
Miami (0-9) Philadelphia (4-5) P-phia
Pittsburgh (7-2) NY Jets (1-8) P-Burg
Washington (5-4) Dallas (8-1) D-Las
St. Louis (1-8) San Francisco (2-7) S-Co
Chicago (4-5) Seattle (5-4) S-attle
New England (9-0) Buffalo (5-4) N-Land

Tennessee (6-3) Denver (4-5) T-See (29)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:47 pm
jespah wrote:
Well, the wacky names thing is how I was staffing my football fantasy team last year. I had Burress and Houshma etc, etc. for a while there.

And you had Tatum.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:03 am
Ah, I had forgotten about Tatum.

So Tuiasosopo isn't a town in Mexico. Is it at least a passable name for a volcano? And should Mr. Tuiasosopo not be fed beans because of that?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:56 am
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/d_ray99/favremadden5rw.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:17 am
is madden really that much taller than farvre?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:53 am
Region Philbis wrote:
is madden really that much taller than farvre?

I am not sure, RP, but it appears to be a "doctored" photograph.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:58 am
I figured so, cuz Madden seemed so thin....
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 12:01 pm
Atlanta
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Detroit
Green Bay
Houston
Indianapolis
San Diego
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Dallas
San Francisco
Seattle
New England

Denver 50
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 01:47 pm
jespah wrote:

So Tuiasosopo isn't a town in Mexico. Is it at least a passable name for a volcano? And should Mr. Tuiasosopo not be fed beans because of that?

1. Tuiasosopo sounds like a typical Central American dish, if you ask me.
2. Yes, but in the Phillipines.
3. No he shouldn't, but not because of his last name. Don't know if you know, but beans account for extra gas impulse... similar to doping.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 01:56 pm
Based on selection of teams that least irritate me at the moment, this having just about nothing to do with win/loss record -

TAMPA BAY
CLEVELAND
ARIZONA
NY GIANTS
GREEN BAY
NEW ORLEANS
INDIANAPOLIS
JACKSONVILLE
OAKLAND
PHILADELPHIA
PITTSBURGH
DALLAS
SAN FRANCISCO
CHICAGO
NEW ENGLAND
TENNESSEE (35)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:18 pm
fbaezer wrote:
jespah wrote:

1. Tuiasosopo sounds like a typical Central American dish, if you ask me.
2. Yes, but in the Phillipines.
3. No he shouldn't, but not because of his last name. Don't know if you know, but beans account for extra gas impulse... similar to doping.

I am familiar with the bean-gas connection.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:48 pm
Tampa Bay
Cleveland
Cincinnati
NY Giants
Green Bay
New Orleans
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Dallas
St. Louis
Seattle
New England

Tennessee (39)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 01:14 am
I don't know if Madden is taller, but I met a professor from Cal Poly who taught life sciences for over 40-years, and he told me Madden was a student of his, and one of the dumbest. Didn't matter, because he's a genius in football.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 09:49 am
Nice to see you post from afar, CI....
0 Replies