Never been in hospital

Chai

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 08:19 pm
Just wondering if there's anyone else here who has never had to be admitted to the hospital....

I'm 48 and whenever I have to answer that for when seeing a new health care provider, they seem surprised.

Some even keep interrogating me, like..."no broken bones? no surgery? no accidents? Like I would forget.

Never even been in the ER, except once was driven there as a teenager because of a prescription drug reaction
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,697 • Replies: 23
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 08:20 pm
Keep it up....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:45 am
Same here. Went to the ER when I was 16 because I had a severe flu that mimicked appendicitis. Went home in a few hours with a bunch of antibiotics but was not admitted. And that's the extent of my hospital experience, except for things like going there because that's where the mammogram stuff is.

Keep it up.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:53 am
Just to birth two babies. Let's keep it this way!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:56 am
Wait a minute, I did have an outpatient surgery though.
Funny thing, I was to undergo general anethesia for the first time ever which had me a little freaked out. But, I ate a Tic Tac that morning for breath reasons and that alone made the anethesiologist say no to putting me under. They went ahead with my surgery but with heavy sedation.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:30 am
I was in a hospital once to have my knee examined. They wanted to do surgery and I never came back Laughing My knee is still doing fine 25 years later.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 10:24 am
Shocked I must be weird. I have been admitted to hospitals over 20 times. I don't even keep track anymore. I had to stay for close to 3 months when I had surgery on my left lung. I was only 19 at the time and that hospital became my 2nd home.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 10:26 am
I only had my tonsils out. I loved it though, I got to stay 4 or 5 days. New hospital, young staff, everything exciting and people coming to see me. It was great.
Then I had one xray taken when I thought I broke my wrist, luckily it wasn't broken, though it often hurts still to this day. I always envied kids who had a cast in school, wishing I should be so lucky... I guess I am lucky after all.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 12:27 pm
I've never been admitted to a hospital, either. (Unless you count being born in one, but I don't recall filling out any paperwork for that. :wink: )
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 01:01 pm
I've never been admitted either. Stitches, staples and tape for this and that, but no more. I too had a quack want to operate on my wrist some 15 years ago with some fancy techno-babble excuse. I refused and it was good as new in a few weeks.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 01:47 pm
Well!

It's good to hear it's not that uncommon.

I was beginning to think I lived too carefully. :wink:

If I had to go in for surgery, I would be really worried about the anenstesia, and getting put under.

You hear those stories about people that appear to be unconscious, but for whatever reason, only obtained the paralysis part, but were still mentally awake. I actually know someone, a nurse, who that happened to. He felt the entire procedure Shocked Shocked

Apparantly, this is not as rare an occurance as you'd think. Seems that a lot of people who this has happened to were told that it was just "a dream" they were having, or somehow convince themselves it wasn't real....or they just don't talk about it.

I watched a documentary about this, and how they are trying new techniques to avoid this. It was facinating.

This one womans case for really horrible....she felt the knife, could hear everyone and all that. She heard the anestisiologist say that her blood pressure suddenly went really high and her heart rate went through the roof....well....yeah.....I guess so.
But, not knowing she was awake, the doctor just gave her something to bring the BP down.

They were saying they are trying some way that when you get "knock out" somehow they are able to isolate a part of body, like a finger, hand, foot, that will not become paralyzed...then, during the surgery you'll be asked on a regular basis to move that body part.

pleasant thoughts huh?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 02:39 pm
Chai
I wondered if we watched the same documentary. I saw one only a couple days ago. They used the word "unconscience awareness". I felt really bad for the people that were on the panel they spoke to. There was one man & two women. They all said it was the worst thing imaginable (or similar words) that has ever happened to them. The main speaker said it is a rare occurrence but it happens to 2 people out of 1,000 people.

I can relate to only part of it. My first surgery this "unconscience awareness" happened to me. I was on the operating room table and I was still aware. I remember thinking OMG I can't see or move but I AM AWARE and I CAN FEEL but there is no way to tell the doctors. I didn't feel the whole surgery only some of it. I told the doctors afterwards what had happened but no one believed me.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 02:42 pm
TTH wrote:
I can relate to only part of it. My first surgery this "unconscience awareness" happened to me. I was on the operating room table and I was still aware. I remember thinking OMG I can't see or move but I AM AWARE and I CAN FEEL but there is no way to tell the doctors. I didn't feel the whole surgery only some of it. I told the doctors afterwards what had happened but no one believed me.

Add me to the list.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 02:45 pm
Gus
You are normally joking. Are you joking or serious this time?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:14 pm
for real gus?

seriously, what happend?

I felt really bad for one woman on that show. It really ruined her life. She dreams about it and if effects her daily life in a lot of ways. It overshadows everything.
In her case, I think it was a big surgery that went on for hours.

That definitly wouldn't be something you could just "get over".
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:49 pm
It was reported that people committed suicide after experiencing this "unconscience awareness". In the documentary that I saw all 3 people that this has happened to said it is something that they deal with daily. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:59 pm
Chai wrote:
Well!

It's good to hear it's not that uncommon.

I was beginning to think I lived too carefully. :wink:

If I had to go in for surgery, I would be really worried about the anenstesia, and getting put under.

You hear those stories about people that appear to be unconscious, but for whatever reason, only obtained the paralysis part, but were still mentally awake. I actually know someone, a nurse, who that happened to. He felt the entire procedure Shocked Shocked

Apparantly, this is not as rare an occurance as you'd think. Seems that a lot of people who this has happened to were told that it was just "a dream" they were having, or somehow convince themselves it wasn't real....or they just don't talk about it.

I watched a documentary about this, and how they are trying new techniques to avoid this. It was facinating.

This one womans case for really horrible....she felt the knife, could hear everyone and all that. She heard the anestisiologist say that her blood pressure suddenly went really high and her heart rate went through the roof....well....yeah.....I guess so.
But, not knowing she was awake, the doctor just gave her something to bring the BP down.

They were saying they are trying some way that when you get "knock out" somehow they are able to isolate a part of body, like a finger, hand, foot, that will not become paralyzed...then, during the surgery you'll be asked on a regular basis to move that body part.

pleasant thoughts huh?

When we've got animals in surgery and they're blood pressure/heart rate/respiratory rate shoot up, we know they're "feeling it." To which the solution is to deepen anesthetic depth, not manage the blood pressure et al. Hard to imagine that the response isn't the same in human medicine -- especially as we know that this is happening in animals precisely because people have reported it.

Never been admitted to the hospital, really. Been to ER five or six times, and I've gone to hospitals twice for x-rays. No stays longer than the obligatory ER wait, though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 05:23 pm
My being in hospitals is well recorded on a2k elsewhere, nuff of that. Also, I'm trying to cut that out in my golden years.

I was aware in the one general anaesthesia surgery I had in recent decades: I now forget the deal on the anaesthesia, but I had been wary of general anaesthesia back from the time in the late 50's the hospital I worked in's chief of staff died in nasal polyp surgery from some anaesthesia complication, or so I remember. So, when I knew I had to have it for my second lumpo, my surgeon and I and then the anaesthetist and I discussed the level of it.

I remember making some chatty comment to the surgeon while feeling no pain, right at the beginning, and sort of waking up some time later to a scraping ooohweee feeling, and saying, owwwwweeee, then going sleepy bye again. In my situation the light dosage was what I wanted, and I didn't have serious pain.

I'm also one of the more curious patients in a surgical suite you'll ever run across.

That was the time my nurse friend came up to my city to be with me for a few days. She and I had the recovery room staff in stitches - she and I and the head nurse getting a quip routine going. Luckily, there weren't other patients at the time, or it might have been tacky behavior. Well, we all would have been less obnoxious. For me, the humor was a relief and a joy.

Not to diminish others' awareness experiences. This is just my own anecdote.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 05:48 pm
It was quite a while back that I saw that documentary p-dog, so I may not have it exactly right. I'll admit that.

Maybe it was that she was given more drugs to put her deeper under, but, unfortunately, it still wasn't enough?

Is it possible to give more knock out drops so the BP and HR would go down, but not fully become unconscious?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:02 pm
Putting a different twist on were this topic is heading...this business of being put under far enough that you're paralyzed, but still aware, makes me think of the sleep disorder called night terrors.

I remember a researcher was interviewing people who suffered from this, where you cannot move, but have a feeling of something heavy sitting on your chest, an entity.....This they believe is the origin of the succubus and incubus.

Anyway, the researcher, after interviewing different subjects, subsequently experienced an episode of night terrors. It wasn't until then that he realized how dreadful they were.

interesting stuff.Night Terrors
0 Replies