Objectification

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 07:21 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Meh. Our sexuality goes much deeper than what we do when we are naked. For example, men are often sexually threatened by certain colors. A man may avoid wearing certain colors because of what they feel it projects about their sexuality.

That is what I am trying to understand. Why should projection of sexuality guide what you should wear?
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 07:25 am
Why should you have to worry about Projecting your sexuality every day. Is it really that important to you. When I look at people in colors I am not hinking about their sexuality
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 07:28 am
Why do you care what other people think?

You can dress however you like. If you worry about what other people are thinking... then this is your problem.

You are trying to control what people think... a very difficult prospect indeed.
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 07:45 am
Re: Objectification
Diest TKO wrote:

1) "Objectification" is the act of one person using another person in a manner where only the aggressor party benifits. The non-aggressor is in sense treated as "material" and hense the phrase "objectification": the act of making someone into an object.

3) Men often objectify women for sexual desire. Further Women, are not characterized as objectifying men for their sexual desires. ]

After drawing this conclusion, we started wondering if the act of objectification was simply a male triat or if women objectify others as well and we just don't readily recognize their behaivors as objectification. So we started talking about what that might look like.

If men objectify to meet their sexual desires, we figured that we should investigate what female desires are and then we might have a clue as to where if anywhere women objectify men.

4) We hypothesize that emotional desires are what women are willing to objectify men for. The most obvious example that came to mind for us was the senario where a woman may find herself in a relaionship where her sexual desires and security are present, but emotionally in deficit. In this senario the woman may outsource to another more compassionate male to augment her needs/desires. the second party male in this case we theorized is being objectified as his needs/desires are not met. This senario we desribed as being what some refer to as the "emotional affair."

So the question: In what ways do people objectify other people? Is sexually objectifying someone a greater offense than emotionally objectifying someone?

EB If all meaning were that clear would we be discussing these terms.

I agree I am not all that clear in my communication as most of you. probably a lot younger too !

But I dont understand your question. Yes Ideally speaking you should not look as women and think of just Sex unless they are your consensual sex partners. If you can't help it then you should avoid looking at them whenever possible. Do I agree with women walking out dressed up for a mere projection of sexuality , Definitely not. So I see a problem at both ends.

It is part of the cultural shock I am going through that here people are afraid to be emotionally close to each other, but being physical is much more acceptable
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:51 am
Quote:

Yes Ideally speaking you should not look as women and think of just Sex unless they are your consensual sex partners. If you can't help it then you should avoid looking at them whenever possible. Do I agree with women walking out dressed up for a mere projection of sexuality , Definitely not. So I see a problem at both ends.

This is exactly where I think we disagree. The idea that I should avoid looking at women doesn't make any sense.

If I see you walking down the street and say to myself that what you are wearing is exciting, if I, in my own mind, get pleasure from looking at you... I fail to see how this is wrong.

How does what one looks at, or what one thinks fit into your definition of "objectification"?

The term aggressor is used for when someone physically or verbally attacks you. Using the term "aggressor" for someone thinking the wrong thing is going way off the deep end.

You don't have the right to control what people think.
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 11:44 am
No I couldnt agree with you more. I think if I dont want to get you too excited, then it should be my responsibility to not provide you with the means. And that is a good use of clothes or dresses.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 12:07 pm
"... if I don't want you to get too excited..."

What business is it of yours if I am excited or not?

You have no right to control what other people think.
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:27 pm
Quote:
What do you mean here? What don't you want men to do when you dress up?
[/QUOTE]

I was just responding since you asked.
0 Replies

luvmykidsandhubby

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:54 pm
Quote:
ebrown_p wrote:
"... if I don't want you to get too excited..."

What business is it of yours if I am excited or not?

You have no right to control what other people think.

I don't "WANT" you to get excited and I am taking responsibility for my own WANTS by dressing appropriately. It is a personal value since I am married. Beyond that what you think or do is none of my business. If I was not married I would try to get Emotionally involved long before there would be any attempts at getting you excited. For some reason creating emotional excitement does not bother me that much and I am myself questioning if that is pathological.
Also I think Dressing up has nothing to do with Objectification . I was just responding to OGOINK that if women do not want to be sex objects then why do they dress up.
0 Replies