Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:16 am
Can't melt butter or deploy a salt cellar, FM?

What a sad case.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:22 am
why waste it on air popped popcorn.
I understand that 3" of air popped popcorn has an R 31 insulation value. So its gotta be good for something Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:26 am
Nods along with Farmer... I gave away my air popper...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:28 am
When i was a child, my grandmother popped corn in an old pressure cooker, for which the rubber gasket had dried out, cracked and failed--she did not, of course, seal the lid on with a gasket, she just put the lid on top, upside down. She popped the corn in bacon fat, which was no problem, since she cooked bacon virtually every day, and had one of those old stamped tin containers from the last turn of the century (19th to 20th) with the word "Grease" embosed on it. No one much worried about those things in the 1890s and early 1900s, and grease was not yet a dirty word.

But these days, we don't cook that much bacon, we don't save the bacon fact, and we don't have an old pot which we would be interested in ruining by popping corn in it. The air-pooped corn is not only palatable, it has a wonderful flavor, if you put butter and salt on, which is what we did even the days when we popped our corn in bacon fat.

No one is forcing you to eat anything you don't care for FM, and it is rather provincial and naive to criticize in others tastes which you just don't happen to share.

Me, i like to use way more melted butter than i need--so that there is coating on the bowl when i've finished eating the popcorn.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:36 am
So what do you jokers do for popcorn, by the way?

Nuked popcorn? Healthy and delicious, right?

Not. And godawful expensive for chemically-flavored, trans-fat saturated R31 insulation.

I'm happy with what we use--which is why i picked up a pound and half of the white popcorn just yesterday--and doggie treats, too. At the Bulk Barn, under $5.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:38 am
What is your favourite doggy treat flavour?

:wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:39 am
Quote:
FM, and it is rather provincial and naive to criticize in others tastes which you just don't happen to share.
. Laughing

Naive implies "having never tried it" Having tried air popped pop corn and finding it as palatable as what cj says crap tastes like, I will ceratinly not cram the aisles to buy an airpopper.

BTW, Ill bet that, in a carefully documented study of contents of yard sales we would find two things that people buy and then just as quickly dump. They are:

1Exercise equipment

2Air poppers.

Daresay, you cant give the damned things away, except for use to heat up plastics or woodworking glues.

I am rather provincial I admit, many of the foods Ive eaten were prepared without the availability of electricity, rendering an air popper unusable.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 12:24 pm
Intrepid wrote:
What is your favourite doggy treat flavour?

Cleo (Set's current avatar) is a big fan of Darford's cheese treats. Darford's is a bit expensive if you buy it in small bags at the pet stores, but from the Bulk Barn - marvellously affordable.

Each of the dogs gets two or three of the Darford charcoal-peppermint treats in the morning - to help prevent garbage gut and breath.

Both dogs like the itty-bitty apple-potato-cranberry Darford snacks available at the Bulk Barn - they're good for training.
0 Replies

brendalee

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 02:16 pm
bulk barn
The white popcorn from the Bulk Barn is best eaten with friends watching the Pirates of the Caribbean . I am sure Setanta would agree.

One of the problems with the BARN is that when you go there you see so much and buy alot , then when you get home there is no place to store the stuff ,so you have to use it up to get it off the kitchen table or out of the very large box on the floor .

The result then is you are almost of the goods and your back to the barn.
0 Replies

ricksang

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 02:38 pm
Sounds like a great store. We only have a Sam's here, which I am not a member of, so I can't even go into. Mad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 03:51 pm
brendalee is right. white popcorn's definitely best with friends.

I really prefer the white popcorn, using the hot air popper, to just about any other popcorn - or technique. I don't find it gets the scorch-y edge that most other techniques lead to. And white popcorn's so much better than the regular popcorn you can buy.

YUM!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:00 am
Is the bulk barn a place where you have to bring in your own bags? I wanna make sure for our haul to Fredericton so Im not carrying stuff in my pockets.
I will try white popcorn and , set, so you can vicariously enjoy the flavor that only fat fried popcorn can bring, we will do a batch in lard and wnjoy the cracklin taste it imparts on the corn bursts. Nuking isnt so bad either since it too requires a fat to get it rolling. The occasional slightly burnt piece , or the not fully popped kernel is actually a special treat that everyone pAtiently waits to see what the bottom of the popcorn bowl presents to us.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:05 am
I don't know about Fredericton, but the ones I've been in supply bags.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 01:23 pm
Again, I don't know about Fredericton, but the ones I've been in, supply bags.

F'man - how do you nuke popcorn without using the nasty pre-fab bags? I'm definitely curious about that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:21 pm
I use the pre fab bags aned stuff them with oil or lard (most of the ones like Orvilles, come already greased up inside.

Whats wrong with a bag? a hot air popper give off pthalates and styrene monomers. Theres really nothing thats chemical free, even an iron skillet covered with foil gives off Managnese and Aluminum .I dont like cast iron skillets like "Griswolds" because the manganese is easily exuded and managanese messes with the brain.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 04:58 pm
All this white popcorn talk made me obsessive, so naturally, i had to pop up a half cup of the stuff last night, and eat it with way too much butter and salt.

It were yum ! ! !
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:45 pm
Wow! I leave for a day and check out all the popcorn activity going on in here.

Yummy :-D

Farmer, they provided the bags where I went as well. Just don't forget to write the # of the items on the little tags they also provide. I didn't figure out the little tag thing until I already had around 7 items in my basket, so I had to go back and find where I got the stuff and write out the little tag.

They even have little pencils you can use :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:46 pm
Mame wrote:
Way to help a bulkaholic, Set. She's already got enough problems! For starters...

1. She's a night owl - she makes spaghetti sauce at midnight, for Heaven's sake!

2. She is being spied upon by nosy neighbours.

You're not helping!

I also dance on my lawn tractor in my bare feet Laughing
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:04 pm
Montana wrote:
I also dance on my lawn tractor in my bare feet Laughing

that would be a perfect sentence, if you took out the words, in, my and feet
:wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:26 pm