Passive aggressive partners. wwyd?

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:43 am
My partner is, I believe, passively aggressive. He says negative and biting things, makes unreasonable demands (when I came back from the beach, I was told to pack the baby's diaper bag and get the baby in his car- he didn't care that I hadn't eaten and needed to be at work in 1 hour, and he was off that day- do what he said now or don't ask him for anything ever again since I said no to him.)

He's made extreme declarations to me when I haven't done things his way. My friend and I talked about this over the weekend, and she pointed out that although he has told me to leave, evicted me and my kids that aren't his(told me he'd keep our baby, but I should just leave- and now wasn't too soon,) he hasn't actually DONE anything, and I should just ignore him or perhaps answer that, "No, I don't think I'll do that," and go on about my way. She says he cares too much about what other people think and won't REALLY follow through on his threats, which are unreasonable.

I try to placate him, but seem doomed to fail, no matter what. It's very trying living here. I feel like it's still better to stay than to go b/c his outbursts are only temporary, then in between he offers to pay for my child to be in a foreign exchange program, or continues to pay for music lessons for all, and continues to service the car that I drive, et cetera. I'd go, if I had enough money to do so, but I don't make as much as he does, and right now I am in school to get a nursing degree, which would give me many more options than I have now. I'm told that since we aren't married, I would have 51% favor to custody of our child, but, otoh, it would be a court fight. That's a layperson's claim, not a lawyers, btw. So perhaps it would not be in my favor. I simply don't make enough for a court fight right now. I am here, for better or worse. (His outbursts may be related to diabetes, and are spradic- perhaps every 4 moths over the past year.) How do I handle his outbursts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 902 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 04:49 am
Aggressive, yes. Passive, no.

He seems to be threatening all kinds of things, then placating you with cheap car repairs and offering to put your daughter into a good school (something he should be doing as her father, anyway).

In the meantime, you're stuck, or you think you're stuck, and he's certainly doing nothing to disabuse you of that notion. But plenty of people in the world have lived on less money or needed to put their child in day care or put off schooling or only go at nights or borrow from their families or get a loan or even seek public assistance, in order to not live a life like the one you're leading.

As for the child custody thing, don't let someone threaten you with a lawsuit. If you are the primary caregiver, you are going to be favored for custody, regardless of your marital status. But if you provide your state, more specific advice can be provided for you. In any event, if you are short on cash, you can try a pro bono attorney, or one you can pay on a sliding scale. Check with your local bar association because child custody is not something you just want to leave to chance.

In the meantime, line up your ducks and see how you can get out of this. Why? Because it's toxic. Because even if he never lifts a hand to you or your daughter, his words and his actions are still doing damage. Because you deserve a better life, and because your daughter deserves to grow up knowing that not all men are like this and that Mom doesn't have to take it for the sake of a free oil change and music lessons.

How do you line up your ducks? A few ideas in random order:
  • Line up legal services, even if all that happens is you find out that you don't qualify for free legal help, at least you'll know. Plus, this is your child we're talking about: if you are the custodial parent you will very likely qualify for child care compensation. Make the call.
  • Check out housing in the area. Apartments are cheaper if you have a roommate.
  • Contact family, friends, anyone who can help with some money or a place to stay, even briefly. You may need a little transition time between where you are and your next place, plus it's emotional support.
  • Speaking of emotional support, consider counseling. It can also be free or close to free for those who qualify. Work through what may be esteem issues.
  • Contact the nursing school and find out what taking a leave of absence entails. Be upfront about your situation and I guarantee you that the vast majority of schools will be extremely sympathetic and may do things like: hold your place in class, or find a way to make tuition less expensive, or cut your school schedule so that you can work, or find you child care or give you work on campus, etc. But they will not know of your situation unless you tell them.
  • Look into getting a loan. If you have good credit, you may be able to borrow money until you get on your feet.
  • If you cannot borrow money, look into social services. This is the last resort safety net and yes, you are entitled to use it just like anyone else in your state. Better to take welfare and be free from psychological and verbal nastiness than to sit and take it.

You are worth more than this. I know that inertia can be hard to overcome and that it's easier to stay; it's the path of least resistance. But it's not right.

You are worth more than this.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 05:24 am
Princess--

Are your kids unhappy?

Do you still love this man?
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:33 am
I'd get my nursing degree and scoot on out of there afterwards. When he yells at you do you smile and tell him that you love him?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:14 am
See, the problem is that I've been the mom with less money and collecting foodstamps and it sucks! After (how many months?) I finally have almost $1,000 to put in a savings account (money market account?) for 6 months. I still drive a Mercedes Benz. I'm doing well at work and got an unheard of (for retail) $1.00/hour raise. I'm taking pharmacology online for free since he's a professor.

Do I love him? Love is a choice, so, yes, I do... but we're simply platonic roomates now. That's maybe good enough while I get through school, have our toddler eventually become a preschooler, have my 16 year old go to Germany for 10 weeks in the spring.

His unreasonable demands, I just respond, "No, I don't think so," to. But I'm still supposed to please him and be an effective housekeeper~helpmate, but otoh, I've been told that I'm poisonous on the inside and that nothing I do will ever fix that unless I figure out how to change myself to some standard he can't even articulate but lives pining for... Shocked
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:21 am
That's not passive aggressive. That's emotional abuse.
He's controlling you.....and probably getting some kind of weird pleasure out of it. Some people are like that.

Get your degree and pack your stuff into your Mercedes and tell him to kiss your leaving butt.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:41 am
Maybe it's time to consider and weigh out properly the actual negatives and positives of staying with this man.

I don't think you are seeing the whole picture.

I think your heart is in the right place, and in a lot of ways, it seems to me you are staying with him for the benefit of your kids.
-so the kids can nice things
-so the kids can go on trips
-so the kids can go to a good school
-so the kids can be seen in a nice car
-so the kids will have a mom with a nice degree and education who can support them financially in the future and otherwise
-so the youngest child can be with h mother (fear of losing that child, and you know you are good to your kids and that would be a lose to the child as well)

Your heart has good intentions, but have you looked at the actuality of how this is playing out?
The negatives.

I think we should begin to draft a more realistic picture of this situation, and what you staying is COSTING you and your kids.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 06:30 am
I have been waiting for you to come back at some point since I was thinking about your problems occasionally...

Only just now seen this thread.

Sad to hear, that you have been no further by July this year.
You let your boyfriend threaten you (repeatedly), and just get on with things as if nothing happened.
Of course he thinks he can walk right over you!

How are you doing now?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 06:40 am
Yeah. Aggressive, not passive aggressive...

and toxic, as Jespah said.

Do you really want to stay with a guy who tells you to leave?

YOUR self-esteem will start to erode if you allow yourself to put up with this for long, sweetheart.

I hope you'll begin making arrangements to get out.

Good luck.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:22 am
Tell him you are having trouble living with his behavior and will leave if it does not stop. (ONLY say this if you really mean it)

Insist that he get a complete physical. Yes, the diabetes can cause this kind of behavior.

Either continue to cry on your satin sheets, or get out and go it alone. If you love this guy, then help him get a handle on his behavior IF he wants to.

(We are only hearing one side of this story. Sounds like he took you and your kids in, and is supporting the entire bunch. HE may be under financial pressure, also!)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:52 am
Bohne wrote:
I have been waiting for you to come back at some point since I was thinking about your problems occasionally...

Only just now seen this thread.

Sad to hear, that you have been no further by July this year.
You let your boyfriend threaten you (repeatedly), and just get on with things as if nothing happened.
Of course he thinks he can walk right over you!

How are you doing now?

I've been thinking about her too on occasion. I hope she got out
of this unhealty situation and has found peace with herself and her
children.
0 Replies