Jean's Operation

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 06:34 am
Edgar--

I've done that. They pinned her arm and conscious or unconscious she struggled to get free.

Independent woman, your Jean.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 06:44 am
I've always considered her to be tough. She has more grit than many a woman I've known.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 07:14 am
If more pain management is needed, ask her Doc about giving her a medication patich.

Can your daughter speak?

Good luck. Surprised
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 07:44 pm
Jean told the nurse, "I would love to have a little ice water." She was told that if she wanted it badly enough, she would to go to the end of the hall and get it for herself. Using a walker, to carry all the paraphernalia connected to her, she made her journey to the water dispenser.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 08:48 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Jean told the nurse, "I would love to have a little ice water." She was told that if she wanted it badly enough, she would to go to the end of the hall and get it for herself. Using a walker, to carry all the paraphernalia connected to her, she made her journey to the water dispenser.

Poor nursing staff...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 08:51 pm
Miller, really? Bad nurses? Was it too early to get her mobile? Should her mobility not be dependent on necessities like drinking water?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 08:53 pm
Sometimes it's tough love from good nurses. They need to get people motivated to move fairly fast. I think it must be hard when you first learn to do that. (Excluding whatever percentage of meanies are in the field.)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:10 pm
littlek wrote:
Miller, really? Bad nurses? Was it too early to get her mobile? Should her mobility not be dependent on necessities like drinking water?

The nurse told her to get up and get her own water. Perhaps the patient was too weak to ambulate down the hallway.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:11 pm
My gut had the same reaction as Osso posted.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:13 pm
Quote:
Jean told the nurse, "I would love to have a little ice water.

A common patient request following surgery and one that a patient shouldn't have to repeat over and over again. Cool
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:14 pm
But, what about the point that ambulation is good for recovery? After how many days does the nurse stop and make a patient get up and walk? What if the patient is reluctant to get up and walk?

Edgar, did the nurse stay with Jean as she maneuvered down the hall?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:18 pm
Some patients are too weak to walk to even the bathroom much less ambulate down an entire hallway.

Would it hurt the nurse to be more kind with Jean? Confused
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:19 pm
It was too early, or it was a good idea. Hard to assume from here, given doctor's orders, etc.

Are you a surgical nurse, Miller?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:32 pm
No, although I've had experience with surgical patients.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:11 pm
Poor Jean! Hoping that she has a speedy recovery and can get some relief from the pain.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:24 pm
Montana wrote:
Poor Jean! Hoping that she has a speedy recovery and can get some relief from the pain.

Yes, let's hope for a speedy recovery and relief from the pain.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:26 pm
My daughter is actually being pampered. Some of the staff wanted to move her to a room, but her doctor made sure she stayed in the same part of the hospital where operations are performed. They are keeping a close watch on her. She was given to understand that going for the water was a part of the recovery, not an act of laziness on their part. It would have been much simpler to bring her some water than to set her up for her expedition with a walker.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:20 pm
Glad to hear she's in good hands, Edgar. I know how hard it is for people to push themselves during recovery and I understand how important it is for most to get moving (slowly) ASAP.

((((((Edgar))))))
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:32 pm
Great to hear she is doing well, Edgar!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 07:01 am
She has not had difficulty speking through the entire process. Come to think of it, he he, she has never had difficulty speaking.
0 Replies