Jean's Operation

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:53 pm
She came out of the operation in a great deal of pain and discomfort, having cut through the side and moved a few organs enough to work. She will have tubes in and out for some days, no food or drink allowed. The mass was attached to the esophagus, and they had to slice or scrape away a bit of muscle to get it all. The pain medicine self administered by squeezing the button was inadequate. They gave her something more substantial.

The mass was liquid, not hard like a cancerous tumor. They figure it was a birth defect that grew all her life, until it became the size of a que ball. Large enough to begin to cause symptoms. The staff was especially solicitous, since she works in the north tower of the same hospital.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,840 • Replies: 71
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:59 pm
Your wife?

In any event...glad it wasn't cancer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:02 pm
Oldest daughter.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:06 pm
Believe me, edgar, I know what you are feeling at the moment. Often we wish we could bear the pain ourselves, but I am so glad that it wasn't cancer. What an odd thing to have a birth defect as the one your Jean had. Keep us posted on her recovery.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:11 pm
Gald that it is behind her. Let us know about her progress!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:24 pm
Oh edgar!

I join the other hand holders wishing Jean a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:34 pm
I am glad to hear that things have gone well this far.

I do hope she is able to come out of this well, and that you can put the fear of losing your child behind you for a while longer.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:43 pm
Glad to hear it wasn't cancerous. I hope she's starting to feel better now.

Your stomach must've been in a knot the whole time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:45 pm
Sympathy to Jean, and you all, Edgar.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:04 pm
I'm so glad it's good news, edgar! Thanks for letting us know so quickly.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:13 pm
Edgar, it must drive you crazy to see her in that much pain. She'll be better soon, and you all can relax a little bit now.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 05:15 pm
Sending best wishes to both you and Jean, edgar. Hope the pain medication is working for her.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 05:24 pm
Edgar--

You and Jean and her mother are in my thoughts. Good news doesn't mean "no pain" or "no inconvenience".

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 05:35 pm
Glad to hear the operation went well. As for the pain--and this too shall pass.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 05:35 pm
We just heard from Jean's sigificant other. He said she is doing well, but not dealing well with the pain. I would be surprised if it were otherwise. I don't know if I mentioned it, but she will be fed through a tube for a while.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 05:43 pm
A picture of Jean, my oldest daughter.

You have to scroll up.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 08:52 pm
Re: Jean's Operation
edgarblythe wrote:
The pain medicine self administered by squeezing the button was inadequate. They gave her something more substantial.

Oh do I empathize with Jean! I can't even begin to describe the excruciating pain I was in after my tumor removal surgery last year. I too had one of those self-administered pain medications that just didn't even begin to touch the pain. The first 24 hours, my doctor said I was pushing that button an average of 200 times an hour while still groggy from surgery (it has a maximum control so I didn't OD, but it was an unconscious indicator to them of how much pain I was in). It took two days to hit upon a combination of chemicals in drip, injections and pills that finally relieved some of the pain. That is good news that she has found a little relief so quickly.

Glad to hear your daughter is on the mend, Edgar. Do you live close enough to be able to visit? If not, do call frequently. She may not be able to talk coherently enough to speak to you or understand what you say, but it will be a great relief to her to hear your voice; especially if she is flying as high as I was and is frightened by her halucinations.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:03 pm
We intend seeing her as much as we can. It is not an easy drive getting there, and I have to work quite a bit. Fortunately there are enough friends and relatives to keep her occupied.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 03:43 am
Edgar--

Being concerned, caring and helpless-at-a-distance is very hard.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 06:01 am
They've had her walking some, and sitting a bit. She hurts all over, but her shoulder seems to bother her most. Must be strained muscles from when they pinned her arm for access for operating.
0 Replies