How do we know that Christians are Delusional?

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:21 pm
The following video says that there is no reason to "Sugar Coat" this any more...
Video

The video is stated very calmly and proceeds logically from one point to the next without doing anything more insulting than to demonstrate that a particular thought process is delusional.

Yet this still seems insulting at some level. I have relatives who are Christians and I'm afraid the truth will distress them. So, how do you "Sugar Coat" information like this, and more importantly, Should we continue to "Sugar Coat" the truth about such delusion?

If the link above doesn't work, here is the YouTube copy of the video
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 19,400 • Replies: 307
No top replies

Ashers

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 05:42 pm
Well it's clear if you attack the belief of a fanatic, in their eyes, you're attacking the fanatic themselves. The belief, it's assumed validity, the continued faith in said belief, all of these things comprise too important an element of self identity to separate it all out and have an open discussion. It's genuinely hurtful or dangerous to them, we can be in NO doubt about this IMHO.

In terms of sugar coating, what do you want to achieve when you talk to certain religious types? I assume in the case of the video the hope is some form of positive resolution involving tinted glasses being removed. If this is the case, talk of delusion will send them further into their caves of hiding because it's all so tribal. It's always a me vs them mentality with fanatics because it is, in my eyes, the sense of being aligned with "truth" that is most important. Questioning, wrongness or even, "more than one way to god" mentalities are too dangerous, I honestly think doubts may be blocked out like the mind seems to block out other unnecessary data, honing in on the important stuff at any one time. It's for this reason that I think fanatics if there are changes, need to see for themselves. We need more comparative religion but more than that we need to promote the idea that religions should be about promoting peace rather than supposed truths. The reason I mention the idea of promoting other religions in the face of fanatics rather than just telling them they're wrong is simply because of the tribal element to being told of such delusions. If there is a shift in mentality to consider religion in terms of peace instead of truth, firstly it's not too big a jump into obscurity for them, secondly the tribal mentality is naturally dissolved to an extent and thirdly their sense of self identity need not be attacked.

Unfortunately I've never really had any success with discussing religion in general with fanatics so it's certainly a problem but as I say, if you want some positive resolution, the video approach above seems really unhelpful to me. I guess you could argue for some shock and awe tactic but I don't hold much hope for that. Also, I specifically talk of fanatics because it is the hateful, closed off and divide and conquer mentality we should be primarily addressing. If you're concerned with peace and good will rather than childish scripture, I'm right, you're wrong debates then you would always maintain a healthy balance between what you believe in and what compares well with the rest of the world. Maybe we just need better religious, ethics and social value classes in shools thereby looking to the future instead.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:12 pm
(Thank you Ashers, for your considered response)

Ashers wrote:
Well it's clear if you attack the belief of a fanatic, in their eyes, you're attacking the fanatic themselves. The belief, it's assumed validity, the continued faith in said belief, all of these things comprise too important an element of self identity to separate it all out and have an open discussion. It's genuinely hurtful or dangerous to them, we can be in NO doubt about this IMHO.

I agree, it's probably ineffective to use reason in the face of delusion. The existence of the delusion is an indication that reasoning is already impaired.

Ashers wrote:
In terms of sugar coating, what do you want to achieve when you talk to certain religious types? I assume in the case of the video the hope is some form of positive resolution involving tinted glasses being removed. If this is the case, talk of delusion will send them further into their caves of hiding because it's all so tribal.

So videos of this nature, no matter how logical and obvious, will be ineffective in breaking the delusion. I think I agree.

Ashers wrote:
It's always a me vs them mentality with fanatics because it is, in my eyes, the sense of being aligned with "truth" that is most important. Questioning, wrongness or even, "more than one way to god" mentalities are too dangerous, I honestly think doubts may be blocked out like the mind seems to block out other unnecessary data, honing in on the important stuff at any one time. It's for this reason that I think fanatics if there are changes, need to see for themselves. We need more comparative religion but more than that we need to promote the idea that religions should be about promoting peace rather than supposed truths.

It's an interesting approach, trying to have religion promote peace instead of truth. But organized religion is primarily about control. The core tenets of Christianity were originally about peace, yet the mainstream practitioners have already strayed from their own path.

I'm not sure you could ever get organized religion to put its primary goal of expansion on the back burner.

You're essentially asking to use the delusion as a form of control to induce peace before reveling the delusion to everyone. That's manipulative in its own sense. Probably more honorable just to reveal the delusion up front.

Ashers wrote:
Unfortunately I've never really had any success with discussing religion in general with fanatics so it's certainly a problem but as I say, if you want some positive resolution, the video approach above seems really unhelpful to me. I guess you could argue for some shock and awe tactic but I don't hold much hope for that. Also, I specifically talk of fanatics because it is the hateful, closed off and divide and conquer mentality we should be primarily addressing.

I think the video takes a different approach and specifically doesn't worry about fanatics because they are inherently unreachable. The video starts off by assuming the person watching is a educated, intelligent, functional member of society. Granted fanatics could play this role, but more importantly, there are many people who 'are' educated, intelligent and functional, and yet they are delusional (by strict definition) in their religious beliefs.

Ashers wrote:
If you're concerned with peace and good will rather than childish scripture, I'm right, you're wrong debates then you would always maintain a healthy balance between what you believe in and what compares well with the rest of the world. Maybe we just need better religious, ethics and social value classes in shools thereby looking to the future instead.

The video is making a point that the world is not in a healthy state if a majority of its population is delusional. That's partly why it's so "in your face" about what it is saying. My normal reaction to religion is "let it be, as long as it's not forced on me", but the video is saying that there is no escaping the effects of mass delusion on the population of a planet, we are all at risk from it.

How do we respond if the video is correct?

Is a populations' freedom to choose (to be delusional) of greater value than its collective mental health?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:15 pm
Ashers...A very thoughtful response. The maker(s) of this video clearly has an abrasive, confrontational approach that is unlikely to be productive. Also, I get the sense that this person thinks anything smacking of spirituality is hooey. In short, he may be as much of a fanatic as the people he is criticizing. Yes, dogmatic faith in religious doctrine is a very limited understanding. However, there is real spirituality. A better approach might be to expose the dogmatic religious types to ideas about transformation of consciousness and inner peace, and ways to validate their religious impulse through direct experience.

I don't have a lot of experience with religious fanatics, however, sometimes it is helpful to shock them, not with something confrontational, but with a different take on their own religious tradition, or pointing out the connections between their religion and others. On another religious chat room there was some guy going on about Jesus being the only way to salvation. I posted as if I were a Hindu and asked him if he believed that I was going to hell. It took him by surprised since he didn't want to insult me. When he started telling me what Hindus believe and how it differs from Christianity, I corrected him and showed him the similarities. It was an interesting exchange.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:48 pm
Re: How do we know that Christians are Delusional?
rosborne979 wrote:
So, how do you "Sugar Coat" information like this, and more importantly, Should we continue to "Sugar Coat" the truth about such delusion?

Why do you assume that you have a responsibility to tell them the "truth" about their "delusion?"
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:57 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
The video is making a point that the world is not in a healthy state if a majority of its population is delusional. That's partly why it's so "in your face" about what it is saying. My normal reaction to religion is "let it be, as long as it's not forced on me", but the video is saying that there is no escaping the effects of mass delusion on the population of a planet, we are all at risk from it.

How do we respond if the video is correct?

Is a populations' freedom to choose (to be delusional) of greater value than its collective mental health?

I guess I disagree with the video, I don't see these delusions being dangerous while they are flavoured with common sense and decency. Religious folk who are not fanatical believe what they do for many reasons but I suspect one reason is simply because they feel the tenants in question are positive for themselves and the world at large. In other words, whatever it is they believe or whatever the delusion happens to be, I suspect such delusions (amongst "educated, intelligent, functional member of society") are always in relation to positive progress on earth and are therefore up for open debate. So this is why I don't see such delusions as dangerous. I certainly don't like the idea of being deluded, don't get me wrong, I just think we genuinely have bigger fish to fry. I have met too many people who have (by the standards of the video for instance) delusional beliefs who are decent, helpful and productive members of society to worry about supposed mental health issues. I'd also like to hope that freedoms to choose and the promotion of honest exploration in life will guide the more "delusional" towards more free and flexible thinking.

IFF, I wish I saw more of these interesting exchanges that you've mentioned because that's exactly what I think is needed. I really agree about your points regarding dogmatic beliefs and systems of beliefs in general. Systems often hold us back, inflexible and non-evolving as they are. As much as anything else I see them as unnecessary, this is why I see peace as the greater force in religion because I'd like to hope most of us have some inner sense that we can fall back on, to really look around and judge what is best for the world. This is a more dynamic form of inquiry instead of going round in circles quoting scripture which has such little relevance to the here and now.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:39 pm
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:00 pm
Ashers wrote:
IFF, I wish I saw more of these interesting exchanges that you've mentioned because that's exactly what I think is needed. I really agree about your points regarding dogmatic beliefs and systems of beliefs in general. Systems often hold us back, inflexible and non-evolving as they are. As much as anything else I see them as unnecessary, this is why I see peace as the greater force in religion because I'd like to hope most of us have some inner sense that we can fall back on, to really look around and judge what is best for the world. This is a more dynamic form of inquiry instead of going round in circles quoting scripture which has such little relevance to the here and now.

I often post on the Amazon.com "customer communities". (Spirituality and Religion forums.) They're pretty active. However, you lose the "intimacy" of a forum like this where you get to know the other folks here a bit.

Real spirituality is about transcending thought (belief). It begins with silence. In those serene moments when the mind is still, you become aware of the depth within you, the inner peace that is there, the sweetness of Being. When you are able to sense this within yourself, it deepens.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:45 pm
neologist wrote:

Pure rationalization.

Nice demonstration of the delusion.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:47 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
Ashers wrote:

I often post on the Amazon.com "customer communities". (Spirituality and Religion forums.) They're pretty active. However, you lose the "intimacy" of a forum like this where you get to know the other folks here a bit.

Real spirituality is about transcending thought (belief). It begins with silence. In those serene moments when the mind is still, you become aware of the depth within you, the inner peace that is there, the sweetness of Being. When you are able to sense this within yourself, it deepens.

If you'll notice, the video is very specific about particular belief structures. Even though you can generalize the argument to encompass spirituality, the logic is less devastating in a deferred form.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 12:36 am
rosborne979 wrote:
If you'll notice, the video is very specific about particular belief structures. Even though you can generalize the argument to encompass spirituality, the logic is less devastating in a deferred form.

What are you saying -- that you can generalize this video's argument against irrational beliefs to spirituality in general? How so?

I highly doubt that the person who made this video has any idea what I mean by spirituality.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 07:46 am
It's always funny to hear 2 guys discuss why they think 90%+ of the people living around them are crazy. Smile

However it's just this sort of 'you guys are crazy, you guys are idiots' type of approach that keeps most folks from taking them seriously.

The ones that are 'converted' by that approach are very similar to the ones using that approach. They are basically insecure, and afraid of being called names, worried about how others will see them.

So they 'convert', and become part of the 'intelligent group' that has the right to call everyone else an 'idiot' or 'crazy'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 07:50 am
Ashers wrote:

This is the most cogent take on this issue, in my never humble opinion. You've hit the nail on the head.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:22 pm
real life wrote:
It's always funny to hear 2 guys discuss why they think 90%+ of the people living around them are crazy. Smile

If you are going to base your argument on the views of the majority of the population (questionable at best), then you have to deal with the fact that no religion can claim a high ground in the population, and each one sees the other as irrational.

The problem for you isn't that 2 guys think everyone else is delusional, the problem for you is that a majority of the population always sees your religion as delusional no matter what religion you are.

The video is pretty clear in demonstrating this. Perhaps you need to watch it again...
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:48 pm
[link]
Quote:
In the most recent Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, a delusion is defined as:

A false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly sustained despite what almost everybody else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary. The belief is not one ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture (e.g. it is not an article of religious faith).
emphasis added

Why is religious faith exempted from this definition? Is it just more sugar coating?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:30 pm
Joe asks why we have the "responsibility" to pursuade others they are "delusional". A valid question and one that has a simple answer...the delusions of others affect us either directly or indirectly. (The security hassle at airports is just one example.)

However the word "delusion" which is skillfully manipulated by the video with the fervour of a keen salesman belies its relativistic credentials. We all live by idiosyncratic modus vivendi according to our intellect and cultural conditioning, "Religion" is merely one such modus which can have specifically pernicious consequences. Politics, nationalism , consumerism, scientificism etc may all have equally pernicious yet more covert aspects. (Take the possibility of manmade global warming for example) One man's modus may be another man's "delusion".

As organisms with "self awareness" we have the problem of finding a "direction" for that self. The world of "physical evidence" plays a minor role in such a search. "Reality" in essence boils down to social negotiation via language which reifies our "awareness". From this position the video is negotiating tool.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:49 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

If you are going to base your argument on the views of the majority of the population (questionable at best), then you have to deal with the fact that no religion can claim a high ground in the population, and each one sees the other as irrational.

The problem for you isn't that 2 guys think everyone else is delusional, the problem for you is that a majority of the population always sees your religion as delusional no matter what religion you are.

The video is pretty clear in demonstrating this. Perhaps you need to watch it again...

If we're going to commit the logical fallacy of argumentum ad populum, what about the fact that the majority of the population thinks that atheists are delusional? (For example, only 15% of Americans do not adhere to a religion.) Therefore, the majority of people think that most other people are confused or delusional. This does not invalidate any particular religion anymore than it invalidates atheism.

These 2 guys want to show that God is imaginary, but what they argue is that certain widely held (?) Christian beliefs are wrong. That is not the same thing. At most, they are merely demonstrating that a particular childish notion of God is imaginary. However, these 2 guys seem to suggest that everyone who has some kind of spiritual view is irrational because some religious people are irrational. It would be similar to me questioning a lot of scientifically naive people about their scientific beliefs and because they believed things that were obviously untrue (perpetual motion, cold fusion, the healing effects of magnetic fields, numerology, etc.), I then conclude that science is a bunch of hooey.

This reminds me, I once worked with a reasonably competent electrical engineer who had written a book expounding his theory of the electron. The book was complete nonsense. He completely lacked the educational background to understand existing physical theories about fundamental particles (such as quantum electrodynamics). The fact that some people are delusional with respect to a particular subject doesn't mean that all knowledge about that subject is irrational.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 05:19 am
IFeelFree wrote:
These 2 guys want to show that God is imaginary, but what they argue is that certain widely held (?) Christian beliefs are wrong.

Correct.
IFeelFree wrote:
That is not the same thing.

I agree.
IFeelFree wrote:
At most, they are merely demonstrating that a particular childish notion of God is imaginary.

Correct.
IFeelFree wrote:
However, these 2 guys seem to suggest that everyone who has some kind of spiritual view is irrational because some religious people are irrational.

I didn't don't think they are saying that at all. The video specifically targets the aspects of beliefs which are in direct conflict with fundamental human knowledge of nature and physics (magical events like prayer and resurrection and angels and flying horses and such).

Obviously the video refers to a specific notion of God, not the broadest concept which could be almost anything.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 08:14 am
fresco wrote:
Joe asks why we have the "responsibility" to pursuade others they are "delusional". A valid question and one that has a simple answer...the delusions of others affect us either directly or indirectly. (The security hassle at airports is just one example.)

So, in other words, we should disabuse others of their delusions.

fresco wrote:
However the word "delusion" which is skillfully manipulated by the video with the fervour of a keen salesman belies its relativistic credentials. We all live by idiosyncratic modus vivendi according to our intellect and cultural conditioning, "Religion" is merely one such modus which can have specifically pernicious consequences. Politics, nationalism , consumerism, scientificism etc may all have equally pernicious yet more covert aspects. (Take the possibility of manmade global warming for example) One man's modus may be another man's "delusion".

So, in other words, we shouldn't disabuse others of their delusions.

fresco wrote:
As organisms with "self awareness" we have the problem of finding a "direction" for that self. The world of "physical evidence" plays a minor role in such a search. "Reality" in essence boils down to social negotiation via language which reifies our "awareness". From this position the video is negotiating tool.

So, in other words, you have no basis for saying whether we should or shouldn't disabuse others of their delusions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 08:57 am
echi wrote:
[link]
Quote:
In the most recent Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, a delusion is defined as:

A false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly sustained despite what almost everybody else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary. The belief is not one ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture (e.g. it is not an article of religious faith).
emphasis added

Why is religious faith exempted from this definition? Is it just more sugar coating?

No, it's political pragmatism. If, as some of the bible thumpers like to assert (and in this case, not unreasonably), the majority of the population are adherents of one or another religious credo, it were dangerous not to exempt "articles of religious faith." They are still delusional by this definition, but society as it is presently constituted cannot reasonably attempt to extirpate the delusion. See again Ashers cogent remark about how the religiously delusional personally identify with their belief set. To attack what they believe is seen as attacking them personally.
0 Replies