How do we know that Christians are Delusional?

echi

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:27 pm
God! I hate it when I'm rude to someone, and then they have the nerve to reply in a completely civil manner. That means I am then required (by my stupid conscience) to attempt some sort of apology, or something, before I can continue on with the conversation. At least it seems I did you no harm, so how 'bout no foul, eh? (I'm moody like my mother.) Anyway, you're one of my favorite posters right now... I usually feel like I get where you're coming from, but I also disagree with you, severely
I Feel Free wrote:
To be honest, I prefer to avoid the use of the word "God" because of all of the cultural and religious connotations the word brings. It is not necessary to use the word God in talking about spirituality. (Buddhism is a good example.) However, on a spirituality & religion forum where a lot of people are talking about God, it is impossible to avoid the word. Also, when I address another person, I try to talk in the language they are familiar with. If they use the word God, I will too.

The fact that we are on a spirituality & religion forum, I think, makes it all the more necessary to accurately describe what you believe. It depends on your reason for coming on here, I reckon. Mine is to better understand my own thoughts and beliefs, as well as those of others; I don't intend to learn how to smooth over the incompatibilities among all the various belief systems. Mostly, I think, it's because my beliefs are much less acceptable in mainstream society than certain other beliefs (like popular, American-style Christianity), so in order to get along I end up having to compromise way more than I would like. (And it isn't even limited to the area of religion/spirituality!)

IFF wrote:
That said, what do I believe in? I believe in the radical transformation of human consciousness. In Hinduism and Buddhism this is called enlightenment or liberation. In Christianity it is called salvation. What I am implying is that the historical originators of those teachings (Buddha, Krishna, Christ) actually had valuable insights. However, they had the difficulty of trying to communicate their insights to an unenlightened and largely uneducated populace. To varying degrees, but particularly so in the case of Christianity, those teachings were so altered and misunderstood over the years, that what is being practiced today is but a pale reflection of the original teachings. All sorts of wrong ideas have crept in. That's the problem with using the word God. It brings in all of the misunderstandings that have become part of modern religion.
IFF wrote:
What do I mean when I use the word God? I mean absolute eternal being or consciousness. It is impersonal. It is not a personal God who is your imaginary companion. Since your fundamental identity is consciousness, you are God, literally. God is found in you as you.

Except for your use of the word/name "God", I think you are vague enough that I can pretty much accept this and possibly agree.

But then we totally diverge here:
IFF wrote:
However, God, or the state of pure consciousness, has to be realized through the radical transformation of consciousness. This is the an evolutionary process that is the culmination of the evolution of biological life on this, and probably other, planets. Consciousness is the intelligence, the organizing principle behind the arising of form. Consciousness has been preparing from for millions of years so that it can express itself through those forms. The unmanifested consciousness flows into this world as awareness or inner Presence. It does this through the human form that becomes conscious and thus fulfills its destiny. The human form was created for this higher purpose.
IFF wrote:
Consciousness incarnates into the dimension of form. When it does so, it enters a dreamlike state. Intelligence remains, but consciousness becomes unconscious of itself.
How can consciousness be conscious of itself? The object and the observer?
IFF wrote:
It loses itself in form. It becomes identified with form. This is traditionally known as ignorance or ego. At this stage of evolution of the universe, consciousness is in a dreamlike state. Glimpses of awakening come at the moment of death. Then begins the next incarnation. When the lion tears apart the body of the zebra, the consciousness incarnated into the zebra body detaches itself from the dissolving form and for a brief moment awakens to its essential immortal nature as consciousness and then falls back into sleep and reincarnates as another form. The human ego represents the final stage of the identification of consciousness with form.
UuuurrrrghÂ…. you're killin' me.
IFF wrote:
Through the human form, consciousness is able to know itself. This reaches its highest expression when the individual attains the state of enlightenment. That is the ultimate purpose of human existence and of the evolution of the universe.
I can tell this is going to be fun. BTW, I am absolutely thrilled that you've met Rex the Red. I am watching that thread with great excitement!
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 12:21 am
echi wrote:
God! I hate it when I'm rude to someone, and then they have the nerve to reply in a completely civil manner. That means I am then required (by my stupid conscience) to attempt some sort of apology, or something, before I can continue on with the conversation. At least it seems I did you no harm, so how 'bout no foul, eh? (I'm moody like my mother.) Anyway, you're one of my favorite posters right now... I usually feel like I get where you're coming from, but I also disagree with you, severely

No problem. Letting go of reactivity is part of my spiritual practice. Its more interesting when people disagree anyway.
Quote:
Consciousness is barely even definable, let alone suitable to tie up every ontological loose end.

Consciousness is no more than a mental concept to the ego-based mind. Consciousness is beyond thought, beyond ego. When we become aware of stillness whenever we encounter it in our lives we connect with the formless and timeless dimension of consciousness within ourselves. Stillness has no form and that is why we cannot become aware of it by thinking.
Quote:

The transformation of consciousness begins with stillness. Thought is form. Being aware of stillness means to be still. To be still is to be conscious without thought. When you are still, you are who you were before you assumed your current physical and mental form, and who you will be when this form dissolves. When you are still, you are consciousness -- formless and eternal.

If all this sounds like nonsense to you then you are probably not ready. It takes a certain maturity for the process of awakening to begin. One of the ways that awakening begins is the recognition of the conditioned mental processes that are traditionally called the ego. When you become aware of the unconsciousness in you, that recognition is the beginning of the transformation of consciousness.

How can consciousness which is formless and eternal be subject to transformation? The transformation of consciousness can be understood as the evolutionary development of the higher faculties of the human nervous system. It is a transformation that allows consciousness to flow into the world of form. So it is not pure consciousness that is transformed, but rather the human nervous system that is adapted to allow consciousness to enter, or be expressed in the physical dimension.
Quote:
It may be a wonderfully attractive idea that biological evolution is motivated by some kind of great intelligence and that there is a higher purpose for human existence. But humans are not the pinnacle of evolution. Such ideas are destined to fall apart. Spirituality, in this sense, is only the latest improvement on the same basic model the religionists have been working on forever.

Nature is governed by intelligence. That's why there are laws of nature. The natural world is not chaotic or random. There is an intelligence to the natural world. That is what science is all about -- discovering those natural laws. I'm not talking about intelligent design where it is imagined that a supernatural force guides events. The laws of physics and biology coupled with natural selection are sufficient to allow the evolution of biological forms in favorable environments such as the earth.

How do you know that "humans are not the pinnacle of evolution"? When a human attains self-transcendence, then consciousness becomes conscious of itself. That great unmanifested, eternal "thing", consciousness, knows itself, knows its true nature. That is what spiritual seers of the past have proclaimed as the purpose of the universe. I know of no other one.
Quote:

That is the fundamental spiritual experience -- self-transcendence. Consciousness without an object -- pure consciousness. It occurs when there is stillness. For many that is during meditation, when thoughts are quieted. During meditation, thoughts are experienced in subtler and subtler forms until finally thought is transcended and there is only pure awareness, awareness without thought. Over time this experience matures and brings about a transformation of individual consciousness.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 07:56 am
fresco wrote:
Joe,

I was careful to put "delusions" in inverted commas ! I suppose we need a redefinition in terms of "relative sociopathy". This relativity is well discussed in anthropology where an individual whom we might label "schizophrenic" might be elevated to the status of "medicine man" in other cultures. The problem now is that local solutions have given way to global communications such that "society" can no longer be thought of in parochial terms. As Harris points out, the stakes for conflicting "belief systems" have been raised or amplified via modern technology. It may no longer be be appropriate to be a "moderate" believer when some aspect of a belief system like "the afterlife" gives succour to fanatics intent on destroying "this life". In a way this is a problem similar to that of whether we legislate against "soft drugs" because for some they can lead to "hard drugs". All "freedoms" tend to come with a social price tag for which the only practical control is "education about potential dangers".

I'm not sure I understand you. Are you suggesting that there is some sort of "utilitarian calculus" involved in deciding whether someone is delusional or not? In other words, if a belief in the afterlife is inutile in some fashion (e.g. it produces, on the whole, more pain than pleasure), then are we justified in labelling that belief "delusional" regardless of the content of that belief?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 09:25 am
IFF wrote:
Consciousness is no more than a mental concept to the ego-based mind.
Consciousness is no more than a mental concept--period. To claim anything else is a mistake. If you want to talk about the "thing" to which consciousness refers, I'm afraid you will soon discover the infamous brick wall (over and over and over again, perhaps).
IFF wrote:
The transformation of consciousness begins with stillness. Thought is form. Being aware of stillness means to be still. To be still is to be conscious without thought. When you are still, you are who you were before you assumed your current physical and mental form, and who you will be when this form dissolves. When you are still, you are consciousness -- formless and eternal. If all this sounds like nonsense to you then you are probably not ready. It takes a certain maturity for the process of awakening to begin. One of the ways that awakening begins is the recognition of the conditioned mental processes that are traditionally called the ego. When you become aware of the unconsciousness in you, that recognition is the beginning of the transformation of consciousness.
It sounds like nonsense precisely because it is. This is all very attractive on the surface, but if you stick with it long enough you may find it insufficient for the task at hand. Then, you may also find it worthwhile to (re)consider your task.

IFF wrote:
How can consciousness which is formless and eternal be subject to transformation? The transformation of consciousness can be understood as the evolutionary development of the higher faculties of the human nervous system. It is a transformation that allows consciousness to flow into the world of form. So it is not pure consciousness that is transformed, but rather the human nervous system that is adapted to allow consciousness to enter, or be expressed in the physical dimension.
Why have you then referred to it as a transformation of consciousness? More importantly, will you continue to describe it in those terms, or will you instead opt for a more accurate description?
IFF wrote:
Nature is governed by intelligence. That's why there are laws of nature. The natural world is not chaotic or random. There is an intelligence to the natural world. That is what science is all about -- discovering those natural laws. I'm not talking about intelligent design where it is imagined that a supernatural force guides events. The laws of physics and biology coupled with natural selection are sufficient to allow the evolution of biological forms in favorable environments such as the earth.
Again, like the typical theist you seem unwilling to acknowledge the wonder of nature. It seems you cannot understand the world according to the terms in which you have invested so much of your "self". So, rather than letting go of your preconceptions (which cause you to cling to these otherwise unnecessary questions) you take a more theistic approach and adopt a belief in some kind of supreme intelligence, one capable of supplying you with the answers you desire. You seem to have a sort of parent/child relationship happening with your idea of nature.

IFF wrote:
How do you know that "humans are not the pinnacle of evolution"? When a human attains self-transcendence, then consciousness becomes conscious of itself. That great unmanifested, eternal "thing", consciousness, knows itself, knows its true nature. That is what spiritual seers of the past have proclaimed as the purpose of the universe. I know of no other one.
I know that humans are not the pinnacle of evolution because I understand evolution.
You know of "no other one", what? No other spiritual seer? If that's the case, you may want to look again. Maybe you have found the ones you have simply because they happen to meet your criteria.
IFF wrote:
echi wrote:
That is the fundamental spiritual experience -- self-transcendence. Consciousness without an object -- pure consciousness. It occurs when there is stillness. For many that is during meditation, when thoughts are quieted. During meditation, thoughts are experienced in subtler and subtler forms until finally thought is transcended and there is only pure awareness, awareness without thought. Over time this experience matures and brings about a transformation of individual consciousness.
of. Consciousness can no more be conscious of itself than an eye can look at itself. It is that simple.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 10:05 am
Joe,

The short answer is yes. "Reality" is ultimately negotiable. ( see Maturana).
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 10:08 am
rosborne979 wrote:
IFeelFree wrote:
However, these 2 guys seem to suggest that everyone who has some kind of spiritual view is irrational because some religious people are irrational.

I didn't don't think they are saying that at all. The video specifically targets the aspects of beliefs which are in direct conflict with fundamental human knowledge of nature and physics (magical events like prayer)..........

The video implies a denial of the existence of the supernatural, which is something that you have claimed in the past that you do not do.

Has your position changed? Do you now deny the existence of the supernatural?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 10:36 am
fresco wrote:
Joe,

The short answer is yes.

Really? You seriously believe that whether or not someone is "delusional" should be determined by a utilitarian calculus? So if someone believed, for instance, that he was made of glass, but his belief gave him more pleasure than it caused pain to himself and others, we would be justified in saying that he was not delusional?
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 11:29 am
IFF, just out of interest/clarification as a quick question, when you refer to "Consciousness", are you referring then to what I think you've also called the higher "Self" in the past, or Atman (capital A) of Hinduism? Also, when you say, "Consciousness becomes conscious of itself" are you referring to some non dualistic awareness or the realisation of Atman=Brahman, the cessation of division?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 11:44 am
Joe,

The "glass guy" (wasn't it some historical figure ?) is already statistically "delusional". If he were say some relative of mine who caused me problems I would do something about it. Otherwise "so what".
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 11:53 am
fresco wrote:
Joe,

The "glass guy" (wasn't it some historical figure ?)...

The "glass guy" is an example often used by Thomas Reid.

fresco wrote:
...is already statistically "delusional".

You'll have to explain to me what "statistically delusional" means.

fresco wrote:
If he were say some relative of mine who caused me problems I would do something about it. Otherwise "so what".

"Doing something about it" and calling somebody "delusional" are two different things.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 12:08 pm
Statistically "delusional" means we use a word "delusion" in common parlance which can be exemplified by a commonly agreed "irrationality" such as "being made of glass". It follows that details of most religions are "statistically delusional" in a hegemony.

If the activity of "calling someone delusional" is aimed at preventing "hurt" then it constitutes "doing something about it".
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 01:29 pm
echi wrote:
IFF wrote:
echi wrote:
of. Consciousness can no more be conscious of itself than an eye can look at itself. It is that simple.

This is the basis of your misunderstanding. Perhaps you have only ever experienced being conscious of something. Perhaps you have never experienced consciousness without an object. Therefore, you assume it is impossible. Another way to phrase this is to say that perhaps you have only ever experienced wakefulness coexisting with thinking. Perhaps you have never experienced wakefulness or awareness without any content, without thoughts being present. Therefore you assume it is impossible.

I'm saying that you are mistaken and my reason for saying this is my own personal experience (as well as the experience of many others). You may reply that I am deluded, or misinterpreting my experience. So, we may be at an impasse. However, it is conceivable that you have actually had an experience of transcendence but did not recognize the experience for what what it was. During quiet moments in your life when you felt very relaxed and peaceful (assuming you have had such moments), have you ever noticed a point where thinking seems to stop and there is just stillness within? Perhaps everything seems to fade away for a moment and you suddenly realize that some moments of time have passed, but you weren't asleep, you were awake but not aware of anything in particular. It may have been associated with a feeling of serenity or even a blissful feeling. It might even have been associated with a sudden sense of fear as you "come to your senses". Has something like this ever happened to you?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 01:39 pm
Ashers wrote:
IFF, just out of interest/clarification as a quick question, when you refer to "Consciousness", are you referring then to what I think you've also called the higher "Self" in the past, or Atman (capital A) of Hinduism? Also, when you say, "Consciousness becomes conscious of itself" are you referring to some non dualistic awareness or the realisation of Atman=Brahman, the cessation of division?

Yes, pure consciousness is equivalent to the higher Self or Atman. I use different terms depending on the context. However, this is not precisely the same as the realization of Atman=Brahman. Enlightenment proceeds in stages from awareness of objects (ignorance) to experience of the Self or Atman (self-transcendence) to awareness of the Self or Atman along with awareness of objects (cosmic consciousness) to complete unity between Self and the non-Self, subject and object, pure consciousness and object consciousness (Unity consciousness). This last state is what I believe is referred to in the non-dualistic state of realization that Atman=Brahman. It is the culmination of the transformation of consciousness in the human form. Each of these stages is coincident with the opening of different chakras. Unity consciousness is coincident with the opening of the 7th chakra at the top of the head. It is full enlightenment. No separation between the Self and non-Self, between God and the world.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 02:23 pm
real life wrote:
The video implies a denial of the existence of the supernatural, which is something that you have claimed in the past that you do not do.

Has your position changed? Do you now deny the existence of the supernatural?

I have never changed my position. Here it is again:

Science does not deny the existence of the supernatural, it simply can't use it in theory formulation. This is methodological naturalism.

I however do not believe in magic and never have. But that's a belief, and I know it's a belief. And I don't try to support it with evidence.

Do you believe that flying horses, glowing angels, resurrected dead people and talking snakes are anything other than fairy tale events? These are the examples used by the video. Are you saying the video is unreasonable to call those things delusional?

The video also does more than just imply the denial of the supernatural. It demonstrates that even people who accept the supernatural of their own belief structure, scoff at the supernatural components of other belief structures. It demonstrates a clear hippocratic variability of perspectives. This variability is very strong evidence for delusion, don't you think?
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:51 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
The video also does more than just imply the denial of the supernatural. It demonstrates that even people who accept the supernatural of their own belief structure, scoff at the supernatural components of other belief structures. It demonstrates a clear hippocratic variability of perspectives. This variability is very strong evidence for delusion, don't you think?

All of which demonstrates that knowledge of the supernatural should not be based on unsupported belief. However, there are many of us who have had very clear experiences for which no readily available scientific explanation exists. I don't mean some murky vision in a dream or some flash of light during meditation, but rather clear spiritual experiences that suggest that either that the person is either hallucinating, or that there really does exist a supernatural dimension of some kind. I have personally experienced states of ecstasy during meditation so intense that I would bet they'd exceed anything that heroin could produce (although I have no experience in that area). At other times, bodily purification during meditation has been so intense that I would shake violently and strange sounds would come out of my mouth, completely beyond my control. I have been sent to the hospital from such intense pain in my chest that I had lied immobile on the floor in my office for a half-hour convinced that I was dieing, only to find, after a battery of tests, that there was nothing physically wrong with me. This subsequently led to an clear awareness of energy and bliss in my heart region (chakra) that has persisted for the past 20 years. Even now when I approach a spiritual site such as a temple, meditation hall, etc., the first sign is that I begin feel a pleasant flow of energy in my chest. I have had clear memories since early childhood of drowning at sea during a shipwreck. As a 7 or 8-year-old old child I spontaneously began performing an elaborate religious ritual when I came across a mystic Egyptian symbol in a book, even though I'd had a sheltered childhood in a Baptist household in the 1950s, and had never been exposed to anything of that sort.

When someone has experiences such as these, they naturally try to understand them. One obvious explanation is that I am mentally disturbed or suffer from some brain dysfunction such as epilepsy, brain tumor, MS, etc. However, I have regular medical exams and I have exhibited no medical symptoms that would indicate disease or injury. I have no other symptoms which indicate mental illness, and I am a productive member of society. Therefore, I have sought an alternative explanation. Having read up on alternative spirituality, it turns out that many other people have had similar experiences. I have done research and over the years adopted a metaphysics that allows me interpret these experiences rationally. However, someone who doesn't know me and is not familiar with these types of experiences may assume that I am just another "true believer" who has succumbed to delusion. Let me ask you, what would you do if you had such experiences?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:55 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
All of which demonstrates that knowledge of the supernatural should not be based on unsupported belief.

Irony is not dead, it is just traveling incognito.

Laughed my f*cking ass off seeing this member post a comment like that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 07:35 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Pure rationalization.

Nice demonstration of the delusion.
According to the video, God is pictured as performing miraculous healings and his power is questioned because he does not heal amputees. Since he does not perform miraculous healings, it is impossible for you to attack him for not healing amputees.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 10:04 pm
IFeelFree wrote:
However, there are many of us who have had very clear experiences for which no readily available scientific explanation exists. I don't mean some murky vision in a dream or some flash of light during meditation, but rather clear spiritual experiences that suggest that either that the person is either hallucinating, or that there really does exist a supernatural dimension of some kind.

Here are some of the examples you listed which you claim are not "some murky vision in a dream or some flash of light during meditation"...

1. ecstasy during meditation
2. purification during meditation
3. shake violently and strange sounds would come out of my mouth
4. completely beyond my control.
5. intense pain in my chest
6. immobile on the floor in my office
7. nothing physically wrong with me.
8. awareness of energy and bliss in my heart region (chakra)
9. Etc

Those are your examples of the supernatural? Are you sure you weren't listing examples of hysteria and psychosis?

IFeelFree wrote:
Let me ask you, what would you do if you had such experiences?

Well, I guess if I was really crazy I would jump onto a web site and tell everyone that I was either hallucinating or I had discovered the supernatural.

But you know what, as long as you're feeling fine and you're a productive member of society, then you're probably better off than someone who believes in talking snakes and world-wide floods. So give yourself a big round of applause and meditate yourself right into an endorphin frenzy.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 10:16 pm
neologist wrote:
According to the video, God is pictured as performing miraculous healings and his power is questioned because he does not heal amputees. Since he does not perform miraculous healings, it is impossible for you to attack him for not healing amputees.

Actually the video talks about different magical stories, and how everyone outside of the belief system of each magical story, readily identifies the story as fantasy, whereas the people inside the belief system are not aware of the fantasy.

You are talking about a different argument in which the christian expectation of prayer is shown to be inconsistent with reality. But if you're not a christian, then your expectations of prayer may not be the same and the argument may not apply to your belief.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 11:05 pm
Inasmuch as you spell christian in lower case. I agree.
0 Replies