How do we know that Christians are Delusional?

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:57 am
Nothing like a cut and paste to provide the final words in an argument.

Another straw man

Not worth the match to set it afire.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:02 am
neologist wrote:

Another straw man

Nothing wrong with cut and paste. It supports my view.

Show me the strawman.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:15 am
xingu wrote:
. . .Nothing wrong with cut and paste. It supports my view. Show me the strawman.
Emphasis added.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:52 pm
xingu wrote:
neologist wrote:

Another straw man

Show me the strawman.

You may have missed the most important quote of all:

Jesus said to Ananias: "Be on your way, because this man [Paul] is a chosen vessel to me to bear my name to the nations as well as to kings and the sons of Israel. For I shall show him plainly how many things he must suffer for my name." (Acts 9:13-16)

Jesus evidently saw desirable traits in Paul. There is no evidence in the Bible indicating that Jesus was ever dissatisfied with his choice of Paul.

That does not rule out the fact that many people find Paul disagreeable. Everyone can decide for himself which testimony is more relevant.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:59 pm
hankarin wrote:
xingu wrote:
neologist wrote:

Another straw man

Show me the strawman.

You may have missed the most important quote of all:

Jesus said to Ananias: "Be on your way, because this man [Paul] is a chosen vessel to me to bear my name to the nations as well as to kings and the sons of Israel. For I shall show him plainly how many things he must suffer for my name." (Acts 9:13-16)

Jesus evidently saw desirable traits in Paul. There is no evidence in the Bible indicating that Jesus was ever dissatisfied with his choice of Paul.

That does not rule out the fact that many people find Paul disagreeable. Everyone can decide for himself which testimony is more relevant.

Who wrote Acts?
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 02:25 pm
Luke, the physician. (Compare Luke 1:3 with Acts 1:1)
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 02:37 pm
So this is another of those visions people have had ever since Christ died. I think we have people today claiming the same thing, that Jesus came to them and told them this or that.

You think putting this in the Bible makes it more trustworthy?

I don't. Same old thing, different time.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 01:45 pm
Absolutely. It definitely makes it trustworthy and convinces me, although I am sure to be in the minority.

And I have no problem with different viewpoints or opinions on the matter. The Bible can stand or fall as each person sees fit.

Quote:
I think we have people today claiming the same thing, that Jesus came to them and told them this or that.

I agree 100%. Keeps people guessing. It's a deceitful world, isn't it? Makes it easy for most folks today to discredit and discount the Bible completely. See Colossians 2:8

I think that everyone should have the opportunity to vocally express where s/he stand on the matter. Don't leave any doubt in anyone's mind where you stand. Make it very clear.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 01:58 pm
hankarin wrote:
Absolutely. It definitely makes it trustworthy and convinces me, although I am sure to be in the minority.

And I have no problem with different viewpoints or opinions on the matter. The Bible can stand or fall as each person sees fit.

Quote:
I think we have people today claiming the same thing, that Jesus came to them and told them this or that.

I agree 100%. Keeps people guessing. It's a deceitful world, isn't it? Makes it easy for most folks today to discredit and discount the Bible completely. See Colossians 2:8

I think that everyone should have the opportunity to vocally express where s/he stand on the matter. Don't leave any doubt in anyone's mind where you stand. Make it very clear.

When we have a dry-drunk who thinks they can communicate with god all the time is also scary; they think god told him to bring democracy to the middle east and the world. "He" keeps talking about success in a country that is so splintered, my backyard deck looks smooth.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 02:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

When we have a dry-drunk who thinks they can communicate with god all the time is also scary; they think god told him to bring democracy to the middle east and the world. "He" keeps talking about success in a country that is so splintered, my backyard deck looks smooth.

Dry-drunk politicians and "inebriated" clergymen have been known to eat and drink at the same table for centuries haven't they. Hand and glove.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 03:12 pm
Yea, but to think our citizens voted him in twice is beyond masochistic tendencies. Of coarse he had the help of the Supreme Court.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 04:57 pm
I can safely say that no Jehovah's witness ever voted for George Bush in either election. That goes for Papa Bush as well.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 06:09 pm
And exactly how many Jehovah's witness members are there in the US?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 06:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
And exactly how many Jehovah's witness members are there in the US?

I am neither a Jehovah Witness nor an American, however I believe that the number is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2 million in the U.S. and 6 million + in the world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 06:27 pm
According to Wiki, in 1999, the US reported the following:

Religion...................census....churches.....membership 000s
Jehovah's Witnesses.. 1999...... 11064.............. 1040

or about one million and forty thousand.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:54 pm
8 year old data Shocked
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 08:48 pm
Got anything better?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 08:50 pm
I already posted it.