Universal Health Care To Cover Abortions?

username

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 01:13 pm
probably the first time anyone has ever accused mysteryman of political correctness.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 01:17 pm
congratulations, m-man, you've joined the liberals. good to have you aboard. galling, isn't it?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 01:31 pm
old europe wrote:
And once you have to pay for it, I don't think there can be a reason to deny somebody an approved and legal procedure.

As a side-track from the main discussion here - why not?

There are plenty of legal and approved medical procedures that are entirely elective (in other words, unnecessary but desired for whatever personal reason the person might want it done.).

I don't envision any possible universal healthcare program that might exist in the U.S. in the future would cover all elective medical procedures.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:48 pm
Quote:

There are plenty of legal and approved medical procedures that are entirely elective (in other words, unnecessary but desired for whatever personal reason the person might want it done.).

Having a baby is one of these medical procedures that is both legal, approved and entirely elective.

Having a baby is very expensive. This is why pressuring people to have a baby they don't want when the alternative is much cheaper is economically foolish.

Fishin' your stance will cost money for taxpayers or subscribers by raising the cost of healthcare.

Asking me to pay more for someone elses moral beliefs doesn't make sense.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:02 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Fishin' your stance will cost money for taxpayers or subscribers by raising the cost of healthcare.

Really? And what, exactly, is my stance?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:03 pm
All I can say is it's too bad ebp's mother didn't have access to a free abortion.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:07 pm
cjhsa wrote:
All I can say is it's too bad ebp's mother didn't have access to a free abortion.

My mother did have access to an abortion. You see my mother didn't want one.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:12 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

My mother did have access to an abortion. You see my mother didn't want one.

But not a free one....
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:15 pm
Well CJ, I think it is a damn good thing that your mother didn't have access to a free abortion.

<<ebrown takes the high road and says something nice.>>
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:20 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

Having a baby is one of these medical procedures that is both legal, approved and entirely elective.

Having a baby is very expensive. This is why pressuring people to have a baby they don't want when the alternative is much cheaper is economically foolish.

Asking me to pay more for someone elses moral beliefs doesn't make sense.

The best and cheapest way to avoid having a baby is abstinence.
It works EVERY time its tried.

So,would you favor universal health insurance being used to pay for abstinence education?

Also,nobody answered me,should universal health insurance be allowed to pay for my GF and I to be able to have a child through artificial means?

username said...

Quote:
congratulations, m-man, you've joined the liberals. good to have you aboard. galling, isn't it?

I dont mind.
I know what my beliefs are.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:48 pm
Mysteryman...

Abstinence education is absurd. It simply doesn't work because the vast majority of people over the age of about 17 have sex no matter what you tell them. Studies back this up but any idiot knows that people-- even people who don't want to have babies, have sex.

There is research that sex education that talks honestly about human sexuality and includes the proper use of different types of birth control is effective at lowering the rate of unwanted pregnancy. Abstinence only education is pure hokum.

Mysteryman I would ask, are you having sex? (Assuming you don't want to have a baby that is).
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:52 pm
mysteryman wrote:
So,would you favor universal health insurance being used to pay for abstinence education?

No. A health insurance company (public or private) is in the health care business, not in the education business. It might be in their interest, and they might therefore choose to finance some programmes, but I don't think they should be required to do so.

mysteryman wrote:
should universal health insurance be allowed to pay for my GF and I to be able to have a child through artificial means?

Yes. You would have to meet some requirements (like, for example, if you're both 70, I don't think that an insurance should have to pay for such a procedure), but generally I think that it should be pay for.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:57 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Mysteryman...

Abstinence education is absurd. It simply doesn't work because the vast majority of people over the age of about 17 have sex no matter what you tell them. Studies back this up but any idiot knows that people-- even people who don't want to have babies, have sex.

Thats a copout!!
Thats like saying that since people rob banks,we shouldnt make it illegal because people are going to do it anyway.
You seriously think that abstinence doesnt work?
I have only heard of one person that never had sex that had a baby anyway,and that was in the bible.
Abstinence works EVERYTIME its tried.
If you dont want to have a baby,dont have sex.
Otherwise,you run the risk of getting pregnant every time you have sex.

There is research that sex education that talks honestly about human sexuality and includes the proper use of different types of birth control is effective at lowering the rate of unwanted pregnancy. Abstinence only education is pure hokum.

I didnt say abstinence only.
I said it should be taught.

Mysteryman I would ask, are you having sex? (Assuming you don't want to have a baby that is).

Yes I am,but not with you.
And yes I want to be a parent,but I know it will never happen.
My sperm count is so low as to be almost nonexistent,according to my doctor.
But if by some miracle my GF got pregnant,it would be my responsibility to raise and support that child,instead of just flushing it away down a drain somewhere.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:15 pm
I am sorry about my inappropriate question. I didn't know your situation and wish that I could retract my comment. I didn't intend to push on a personal issue.

The way to lower the number of abortions is to lower the number of unwanted pregnancies. You are right that abstinence will do this. You are wrong that abstinence education will do this since abstinence for adults is unrealistic.

I feel strongly that money to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies is money very well spent.

We know, from studies and from experience, what type of sex education is effective at lowering the number of unwanted pregnancies. We should go with this.

I stand by my point that once there is an unfortunately unwanted pregnancy, an abortion is far more cost effective than bringing it to term.

I feel strongly that it should be the choice of the woman (and man, but that is a separate issue) involved.

But saying that paying for an abortion, when the choice is paying for an far more expensive unwanted pregancy, costs taxpayers money is simply untrue.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 11:38 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

No. A health insurance company (public or private) is in the health care business, not in the education business. It might be in their interest, and they might therefore choose to finance some programmes, but I don't think they should be required to do so.

mysteryman wrote:
should universal health insurance be allowed to pay for my GF and I to be able to have a child through artificial means?

Yes. You would have to meet some requirements (like, for example, if you're both 70, I don't think that an insurance should have to pay for such a procedure), but generally I think that it should be pay for.

I totally agree here. (And admit that over quite some time my salary was partly paid by the health insurances, too, as well as I get free access to their sources/matreials over all the time I've been in that job as a 'sexual-paedagogic'.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 05:45 am
To say that a health insurer cannot or should not be involved in education of their customer - their consumer, is beyond ridiculous. Of course they need to educate their clientele.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:10 am
cjhsa wrote:
To say that a health insurer cannot or should not be involved in education of their customer - their consumer, is beyond ridiculous. Of course they need to educate their clientele.

Who said such, to what response are you referring?

I don't think, however, that they 'need' to educate their customers - such is the duty of the public (federal, state, coubnty/town) health offices/agencies.

But, of course and as oe pointed out, it certainly might be in the interest of insurers.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:45 am
ebrown_p wrote:

I feel strongly that money to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies is money very well spent.

This doesn't sound like a very moral response.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:05 am
Why not, Miller?

I am just saying that I would like people who don't want a baby to not get pregnant.

I don't know why anyone would disagree with this?

This is even a pro-life stance since if there are no unwanted pregnancies there won't be any abortions. How is this not the best possible solution?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:52 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I am sorry about my inappropriate question. I didn't know your situation and wish that I could retract my comment. I didn't intend to push on a personal issue.

Thats ok,no harm intended and I dont mind talking about it.

The way to lower the number of abortions is to lower the number of unwanted pregnancies. You are right that abstinence will do this. You are wrong that abstinence education will do this since abstinence for adults is unrealistic.

For adults it might be,but for those in their teens it isnt unrealistic.
When you have 14 year old girls getting pregnant because they are getting no education or their parents just dont care,then teaching abstinence is a viable alternative,ALONG with a proper sex ed class.
I am not saying to teach abstinence only,and I never have.
BUT,I do think that it should be part of a decent sex-ed class.

As do I.

We know, from studies and from experience, what type of sex education is effective at lowering the number of unwanted pregnancies. We should go with this.

Agreed,but many schools and parents dont even bother to teach that.
Abstinence education,ALONG with proper sex-ed classes,will work.

I stand by my point that once there is an unfortunately unwanted pregnancy, an abortion is far more cost effective than bringing it to term.

Thats true,if you are only worrying about dollars.
What about the human cost?
Every woman that I know that has had an abortion still suffers some physcological effects years later.

I feel strongly that it should be the choice of the woman (and man, but that is a separate issue) involved.

I agree.

But saying that paying for an abortion, when the choice is paying for an far more expensive unwanted pregancy, costs taxpayers money is simply untrue.

I dont believe that I have ever said that.

0 Replies