General Petraeus on the conditions on the ground in Iraq

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:31 am
Quote:
I would suggest that as the Head Honcho of operations in Iraq, he is in a far better position to know the facts and conditions on the ground far better then any pundit stationed in an office in the US.

I think that is true and obvious but not as helpful as we might hope. By the same sort of reasoning (access to priviledged briefings, for example) Nancy Pelosi will be in a far better position than you to know facts and conditions on the ground in Iraq.

Quote:
As a General in the Armed forces, he has established himself as an honorable, intelligent man that believes in not sacrificing his men in needless combat, or unnecessary heroics.

The particular aspect of Petraeus' involvement which Ricks details so positively relates to Petraeus' deep study of prior insurgencies and attempts to combat or overcome them along with his successes in the areas where he commanded. Many other commanders in Iraq had little or no interest in such research and proceded to their missions often quite 'blindly' or with fixed ideas and consequently failed or fared poorly or made matters worse. Past that, I have no information on whether Petraeus has more respect for the lives of troops or civilians than other commanders there.

Quote:
Let me ask you Blatham, do you skip over Cyc's obvious disdain for anyone in the military or administration that may disagree with his rather warped view on the events in Iraq, or do you agree with them?

You'd have to be more specific on some claim made or opinion voiced by cyclo. But I doubt I would be more comfortable using such a term as "warped" to describe his position than I would for positions I've seen you consistently support.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:38 am
blatham said...

Quote:
think that is true and obvious but not as helpful as we might hope. By the same sort of reasoning (access to priviledged briefings, for example) Nancy Pelosi will be in a far better position than you to know facts and conditions on the ground in Iraq.

But using the standard you just laid down,she is still not as qualified as the President or the generals in the field to know facts and conditions on the ground.

Neither her nor any other member of congress gets the same report that the executive branch (the President) gets.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 02:46 pm
mysteryman wrote:
blatham said...

Quote:
think that is true and obvious but not as helpful as we might hope. By the same sort of reasoning (access to priviledged briefings, for example) Nancy Pelosi will be in a far better position than you to know facts and conditions on the ground in Iraq.

But using the standard you just laid down,she is still not as qualified as the President or the generals in the field to know facts and conditions on the ground.

Neither her nor any other member of congress gets the same report that the executive branch (the President) gets.

As I said earlier, true and obvious. But not very helpful.

What rule or citizen-behavior or press policy would you have follow from this? That whatever a President or a Pentagon official or politician says ought to be always taken at face value as the full and unvarnished truth of things? If Hillary Clinton becomes the next President, which seems entirely possible if not likely now, what level of credibility will you be willing to advance her when she describes her version of the truth of things in Iraq or elsewhere?
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:00 pm
Blatham,

Of course they won't! She is a Dem and she is Hillary!

I read "Fiasco" and another good read is "A Tragic Legacy" by Glen Greenwald, a lawyer turned blogger at Salon.com. The Manichean philosophy of good versus evil of this administration is so well laid out that I could not put it down. It DOES NOT give you any indication that we can be hopeful.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:02 pm
Petraeus will be gone when he can't deliver what they want. A good man by all accounts, but he isn't a miracle worker. The Bushies need a miracle.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:32 pm
blatham wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
blatham said...

Quote:

What rule or citizen-behavior or press policy would you have follow from this? That whatever a President or a Pentagon official or politician says ought to be always taken at face value as the full and unvarnished truth of things? If Hillary Clinton becomes the next President, which seems entirely possible if not likely now, what level of credibility will you be willing to advance her when she describes her version of the truth of things in Iraq or elsewhere?

If,and I must repeat IF,she were to become President,then my opinion of her as CinC will be the same as it is now towards Bush regarding the war.

Since she would be getting the unvarnished,full report of what is happening in Iraq,I would believe her over anyone in Congress.
As the President,she would have access to reports and intelligence that congress does not and should not have.
Congress has more leaks then a seive,and no President will give congress the full report on any subject.

But,you dont seem to be willing to give Bush the same credit that you think Hillary would deserve as President,regarding the war.
Why is that?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:51 pm
Hugs and kisses, vnn. As always, wonderful to read a post from you.

I haven't read Greenwald's book(s) to this point. It's only been the last six months or so wherein I've become familiar with the fellow. Now, I read him pretty much daily and think he's one of the best around.

As concerned as we all were (we liberals, that is) when this fellow ended up the President, I doubt that any of us would even have that it slightly likely that he and his crowd would end up doing this much damage. Nor did we conceive properly how deep and effective the propaganization of the right wing base had been managed.

When he got elected, I forwarded the hopeful possibility that, as had happened with Mulroney in canada, Bush and crowd would over-reach so drastically and fail so badly that Americans would turn profoundly against the ideology and policies and crony-corruption that would appear. It verges on the nearly unbelievable (and the seriously depressing) that this man and his movement have any following left at all.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:13 pm
mysteryman wrote:
blatham wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
blatham said...

Quote:

If,and I must repeat IF,she were to become President,then my opinion of her as CinC will be the same as it is now towards Bush regarding the war.

Since she would be getting the unvarnished,full report of what is happening in Iraq,I would believe her over anyone in Congress.
As the President,she would have access to reports and intelligence that congress does not and should not have.
Congress has more leaks then a seive,and no President will give congress the full report on any subject.

But,you dont seem to be willing to give Bush the same credit that you think Hillary would deserve as President,regarding the war.
Why is that?

Frankly, I don't believe you. But even if you would demonstrate such absolute trust in that case, I'd think you a bloody dangerous fool. Why on earth would you suppose that election to the presidency will inevitably and magically turn any elected person into a paradigm of honesty, morality and competent leadership?

"Credit" or credibility arises out of prior behavior, not out of position held. Bush had little credibility for me from the period when he began his run for the nomination because it was clearly evident even then that he was ill-prepared to hold such an office. He could have, of course, gained credibility through demonstration of honesty, intellectual curiosity/humility, and demonstrations of competence/leadership. But in each of these categories he has proved far less suitable than I had even feared. That's why he has for me almost zero credibility or respect from me now. You'll note, perhaps, that the majority of americans have come to a similar conclusion, finally.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:58 pm
mysteryman wrote:
blatham said...

Quote:

I don't think you said this regarding whether Bush lied us into the war. You and the rest of the right were saying that congress had exactly the same info as did the president.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:59 pm
Advocate wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
blatham said...

Quote:

I don't think you said this regarding whether Bush lied us into the war. You and the rest of the right were saying that congress had exactly the same info as did the president.
Good catch, cyclo.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 11:52 pm
http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/57592/?page=2

The Next Invasion of Iraq? Kurdish Mountain Army Awaits Turkish Incursion
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:59 am
blatham wrote:
Advocate wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
blatham said...

Quote:

Good catch, cyclo.

You know your rep has grown when you start getting credit for OTHER people's good catches.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:41 am
Advocate wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
blatham said...

Quote:

They do,but it has been sanitized and cleaned first.
They dont get names and places about where the info comes from,and not everyone in Congress gets the info.
Only those with a "need to know" get the info.

Blatham said...

Quote:
Frankly, I don't believe you. But even if you would demonstrate such absolute trust in that case, I'd think you a bloody dangerous fool. Why on earth would you suppose that election to the presidency will inevitably and magically turn any elected person into a paradigm of honesty, morality and competent leadership?

"Credit" or credibility arises out of prior behavior, not out of position held. Bush had little credibility for me from the period when he began his run for the nomination because it was clearly evident even then that he was ill-prepared to hold such an office. He could have, of course, gained credibility through demonstration of honesty, intellectual curiosity/humility, and demonstrations of competence/leadership. But in each of these categories he has proved far less suitable than I had even feared. That's why he has for me almost zero credibility or respect from me now. You'll note, perhaps, that the majority of americans have come to a similar conclusion, finally.

I have never said and never will say that being elected POTUS gives one instant credibility or will "turn any elected person into a paradigm of honesty, morality and competent leadership".

What I am saying is that being elected POTUS gives that person access to info and reports that you or I or anyone else does not get.
That gives them a better handle on things and allows them to make better decisions about policy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:50 am
mysteryman wrote:
What I am saying is that being elected POTUS gives that person access to info and reports that you or I or anyone else does not get.
That gives them a better handle on things and allows them to make better decisions about policy.

You would certainly hope that it would give them a better handle on things, and give them the opportunity to make good decisions.

I'm not convinced that's always been the case (in general, and in specific).
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:59 am
ehBeth wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

You would certainly hope that it would give them a better handle on things, and give them the opportunity to make good decisions.

I'm not convinced that's always been the case (in general, and in specific).

I agree 100%.
We KNOW that it hasnt always been the case,because the POTUS is after all human.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:00 am
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
blatham said...

Quote:

They dont get names and places about where the info comes from,and not everyone in Congress gets the info.

Blatham said...

Quote:

I have never said and never will say that being elected POTUS gives one instant credibility or will "turn any elected person into a paradigm of honesty, morality and competent leadership".

So, you agree that the WH had access to info about WMD in Iraq that the Senators and Congressmen simply didn't have.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:02 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
blatham said...

Quote:

Blatham said...

Quote:

So, you agree that the WH had access to info about WMD in Iraq that the Senators and Congressmen simply didn't have.

Cycloptichorn

They had access to info that they didnt share with every member of congress,I agree with that.
But,that does not mean that they didnt share the info they had with those that had a "need to know".

Not every member of congress has that need.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:05 am
When the President is asking for Congressional authority to make war, every voting member of Congress has the right to the information upon which the President alleges the case for war is predicated.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:07 am
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
blatham said...

Quote:

Blatham said...

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

They had access to info that they didnt share with every member of congress,I agree with that.
But,that does not mean that they didnt share the info they had with those that had a "need to know".

Not every member of congress has that need.

Then, you would agree that the Dems (and Republicans!) in Congress bear much, much less responsibility for the WMD f*ckup that led to the Iraq war, then the Exec. branch - who had unparalleled access to the intel?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:09 am
And who had access to the CIA appraisal which found the yellow cake story to be unreliable.
0 Replies