The Republican Filibuster of the end of the war in Iraq

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:55 pm
Is no one else enough os a political junkie to be watching?

The Republicans are filibustering the Levin/Reid Amendment that would begin withdrawing troops from Iraq in 120 days.

The Democrats are calling for an "up or down vote" (this term sounds strangely familiar). They want a simple majority.

The Democrats in the Senate are finally doing what the American people want them to do.

The Democrats are keeping Congress in Session to debate through the night, and there will be the all important cloture vote (which is affirmative will end the filibuster) at 11:00AM in the morning.

I don't know if the good guys will be able to break the filibuster... until 2008 that is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,875 • Replies: 81
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:01 pm
I think the war will be over soon. There will be too much pressure from all sides.

Inless Israel attacks Iran or we have another terrorist attack. I know the anti-war movement is planning new tactics.

----------------------------------

Democrats vow all-night session on Iraq By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writer
Mon Jul 16, 7:20 PM ET

WASHINGTON - The Senate this week will pull its first all-night debate on the Iraq war in advance of a vote on whether to bring home all combat troops by next spring, Democrats said Monday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070716/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:10 pm
Only impeachment of Bush and Cheney will end this war before 2009, as I said, Bush will continue the occupation with mercenaries.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:02 am
I wonder what the outcome will be? Two more hours.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:31 am
The outcome is clear.

Republicans will win the filibuster this time... the Levin/Reid amendment will be tabled.

The point of this all night debate is to increase the political pressure on moderate Republicans. The political pressure will increase significantly.

The war will end when the political pressure reaches a high enough level.

This is just a step toward the next battle (where they actually may make progress).

The interesting debate will be in mid-September.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:35 am
ebrown_p wrote:
The outcome is clear.

Republicans will win the filibuster this time... the Levin/Reid amendment will be tabled.

The point of this all night debate is to increase the political pressure on moderate Republicans. The political pressure will increase significantly.

The war will end when the political pressure reaches a high enough level.

This is just a step toward the next battle (where they actually may make progress).

The interesting debate will be in mid-September.

Reid has said there will be no vote on the Defense authorization bill till the Republican leadership breaks the fillibuster, period. He's extending the game and raising the stakes at the same time.

I only hope they stick to their guns...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:42 am
this is all a waste of time and I'm divorcing myself from concern. It's like worrying about losing more of my hair. What's the point.

bushco embroiled us in Iraq and the middle east and it will take years to get us out no matter who is in office, end of story.

bushco also doesn't give a ****. they want to be there for whatever reason and they don't care about the politics, the loss, the expenditure, or the lives of iraqi OR american citizens.

they are as bad as the people they claim to be protecting us from and we're stuck with them until 2009, and depending on how the election goes we may end up stuck with the same people he works for who are really running things for the immediate future.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:51 am
I think you are wrong BPB. It does matter.

Congress members can not defy the overwhelming desire of their constituency. The fact that public opposition to the war keeps growing means that pressure keeps building on every Senator.

The key is to keep ratcheting up public pressure.

You will see Senators switch sides.... especially when Bush is unable to meet the expectations he set for September. You will also see a snowball effect of public opinion.

Two thirds of Congress members can override the president- and they have the ability to enforce it.

Less than two thirds of Congress can push through this legislation and put addition pressure on Bush and Crew.

The inevitability of this war is a Republican lie. It is up to you BPB (and the rest of the American people) to do their job to change this.

Don't give in.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:14 am
I'm watching it live on CSPAN-2. I agree with you ebrown. Lavins talk was pretty good.

Let's see what these old dudes can do.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:15 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I think you are wrong BPB. It does matter.

Congress members can not defy the overwhelming desire of their constituency. The fact that public opposition to the war keeps growing means that pressure keeps building on every Senator.

The key is to keep ratcheting up public pressure.

You will see Senators switch sides.... especially when Bush is unable to meet the expectations he set for September. You will also see a snowball effect of public opinion.

Two thirds of Congress members can override the president- and they have the ability to enforce it.

Less than two thirds of Congress can push through this legislation and put addition pressure on Bush and Crew.

The inevitability of this war is a Republican lie. It is up to you BPB (and the rest of the American people) to do their job to change this.

Don't give in.

No one has been listening to their constiuancy for years. If they had been, we would be long out of Iraq.

This is just grandstanding by a Senate with no balls to do the right thing.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:16 pm
woiyo wrote:
This is just grandstanding by a Senate with no balls to do the right thing.

And what is the 'right thing'?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:20 pm
The right thing is to win the damn war and stop being such a bunch of liberal pansies.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:35 pm
the 'right" thing to do would be to call a senate recess and everyone go to an arena and watch dogs fighting to the death, shiksa could be the emcee.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:36 pm
dyslexia wrote:
the 'right" thing to do would be to call a senate recess and everyone go to an arena and watch dogs fighting to the death, shiksa could be the emcee.

Michael Vick would agree with you.

He'll be the first Football player to miss games due to an illegal dog-fighting conviction.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:08 pm
maporsche wrote:

Michael Vick would agree with you.

He'll be the first Football player to miss games due to an illegal dog-fighting conviction.

What a dolt. Everyone thought he was just naturally gifted, while he really honed his footwork running from the law and his own pitbulls.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:13 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The right thing is to win the damn war . . .

OK, genius, how would you win the war?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:28 pm
Ramp up... W went in way too light. Also, if PC demands a fairness doctrine, then the war reporting should be fair, and not always focus on the bad. But that's how they sell ad time....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:29 pm
That's not an answer, that's a sound bite, and not a very clever sound bite, either.

When you've "ramped up," what will your objectives be, and how, specifically, would you intend to attain them?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:30 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Ramp up... W went in way too light.

get your ass over there then hero.... I don't see you doing your duty as a real live American...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:30 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Ramp up... W went in way too light.

get your ass over there then hero.... I don't see you doing your duty as a real live American...

Really? I helped win a war. Winning is a lot more fun than listening you whiners.
0 Replies