Organic Milk

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:51 pm
Does anyone have any insights in the benefits or downfalls of organic milk and eggs?

I'm equally worried about the unnatural growth horomones and the ethical treatment of the livestock.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,238 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:54 pm
I buy 'organic' eggs since years and all milk products (with the exlusion of some cheeses) are organic as well: it just tastes better.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:16 pm
I do, but I am in the middle of cooking dinner...

What it boils down to is that the antibiotics that cows are pumped with, we end up drinking.
Then we wonder why we are sick all the time. Anti biotics are not meant to be ingested on a 24 hour basis.

There are also chemical additives that are in regular milk that has proven to be addictive..

Not to mention that cows, chickens... and ... almost all regular animal protien in america is given more growth hormone then any natural animal can or should handle.

Example Salmon..

What would take a salmon one year to achieve weight and size wise in the wild, takes a farmed salmon less then 6 months.

I have links, and information..
I just dont have the 10 minutes it will take to type it up, or the hour to find it all.
But I will gladly share it with you. Smile

I personally did not make the change to organic for animal rights reasons ( and I am not saying anything bad about that.. Im just stating my reasons)
I changed for the health concerns.

Anything that is pumped into an animal that speeds up its natural growth by 80% can NOT be consumed by humans with no side effects ya know??
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:44 pm
Organic eggs are worlds better than 'non-organic' eggs. Organic milk; I can't tell the difference.

As far as I knew there are more restrictions on the use of antibiotics in organic dairy products. As for ethical treatment; I think it's pretty much the same.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:49 pm
I also heard that an apple that has been grown organically contains roughly 40% more nutritional substances that non-organic. The reason, as I heard it, was that non-organic farming tends to spew a lot of fertilizers that contains little more than energy for the plant to grow tall, there are no 'nutrients' added.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:02 pm
Well, we don't hve antobiotics in regular milk either.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:30 pm
If there are antibiotics in milk, why aren't they listed on the side of the carton with the other contents? Cool
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 05:04 am
Cows regularly receive antibiotics for a number of conditions, but they have to wait a certain amount of time for the antibiotics to "clear the system", and you bet yerr ass that time is absolute minimum to ensure peoples health.

The use of antibiotics in livestock is by some pointed out to be the #1 cause of bacterial resistance to antibiotics. However, it seemes awareness is rising
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:23 am
Coolwhip wrote:

The use of antibiotics in livestock is by some pointed out to be the #1 cause of bacterial resistance to antibiotics. However, it seemes awareness is rising

exactly .

That was my number one reason for stopping my milk consumption.

And no, I dont think countries outside of the US use nearly as much antibiotic or growth hormone as we do.
When Walter says the milk there has none, he is probably correct.

OR, if they do use it, it is a very small amount and really only used when necessary.

Here , the cows are pumped with hormones to make them grow faster, and more hormones to produce milk long after their body should have stopped.
Not to mention the amount of milk they make at a time is unnatural.

It is so bad that cows often have huge infections on their udders from the weight of the excess milk causing their udders to rub the ground as they move.
This, the ground, is covered in feces and urine... I mean.. they live in a pen so of course that will be there..

And that is only one of the reasons they are given antibiotics for so long.

It isn't ' on the side of the carton' because it isn't pumped into the milk. (But there are clauses on the label for chemical additives called 'natural flavorings', or the most popular.. sorbitol. )
It is pumped into the animal. And according to the FDA, you are not DRINKING the animal, so you don't need to know what is going in their blood stream. You are drinking the milk, so it isn't necessary to list it.
yet, it is those antibiotic and hormone filled bodies that are producing the milk. We all know that means it will be passed on.

Not to mention, the diets ( and here is where animal treatment comes in) they are fed so bad that they have to be given vitamins to supplement what they should be eating.

American cows are given a diet high in corn. If not almost completely corn. A diet that is not natural for their bodies.
They often suffer from brittle bone, muscle deterioration, and many sicknesses from a poor diet alone.
So, how can a sick cow, who cant even eat enough protein to support its own diet produce " healthy ,protein fortified milk" as the FDA wants you to think?

Chickens are the same way.
Very poor diet, given way too many supplements, and are given growth hormones so hard on their systems that they sometimes do not produce feathers.
These chickens grow to be full size animals in less then 3 months on these drugs, when in nature, it would take them 6-7.
Again... a body saturated with drugs, and lacking from nutrients, can not produce 'healthy' eggs.
Of course, to combat all of this knowledge that the public is now absorbing, FDA has started to label milk and eggs as " all natural".

Well.. this they can do.. as.. eggs are produced naturally.. so is milk.
Marketing deception 101 there..

If you want to start buying meats that don't have the drugs that regular meat does, and actually contains nutrients that your body can use.. start looking for labels that say things like
Raised with out hormones
Produced with out hormones
Antibiotic free
Organic fed ( even this isn't the best one.. but in some cases it is all you can find)

Dont fall for the labels that say
All natural
Cage free
Hand fed, or Hand picked
Produced from natural sources.
Or ones that just say 'organic'.
The word organic standing alone can mean a few things. It CAN mean that the product IS all organic, no drugs etc.. But sometimes it is used to only mean that the feed the animal is getting is organic. Which means you might have a sick cow eating organic corn, but still pumped with antibiotics..

^^ these are already done and dont make your meat , eggs, or milk safer. They are just marketing schemes. Milk, eggs, beef, chicken, pork.. those ARE already natural. Using the word -natural- in a label doesn't mean **** anymore sadly.

Fruits and veggies are the same way, yet sometimes a simple washing can remove a lot of those chemicals, where as animal based proteins can not be made safer. Period.

The best way to buy fruits safer, and cheaper is to just buy your very watery fruits organic, and tough skin veggies regular.

yes the regular will still have pesticides , but not near the amount that ... lets say.. grapes will.

The fruits and some veggies, that are heavy in the water will also contain a higher amount of pesticide in them as pesticide is water based as well and absorbs into the plants quickly. The plants dont filter, or cycle their water. They keep it and produce fruits with it. SO every time they spray those crops with a chemical that is meant to kill living beings, those fruits are keeping that chemical , and YOU a living being , is eating it.

Grapes, berries, melons... all watery fruits.. buy organic
broccoli, spinach, peppers.. things like that.. go ahead and buy regular.
just wash the skins in hot water with a rag.
This will save you money when shopping.. Smile) trust me.
We tried to do a completely organic diet , and could only survive for a few months because our grocery bill for 3 people went over 550 a month!

Now, we just get organic meats, and select veggies.
Dont drink milk, and buy packaged foods that dont have sugar, high fructose corn syrup, or ingredience longer then my thumb nail.

It takes a little balancing, and alot of reading labels, but once you understand how things are packaged, and what they really mean , you can swoop into any store and quickly pick out a fresh healthy diet in minutes, and save some money doing it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
Milk is what the cow is.

And cows are fed animal byproducts, antibiotics, growth hormones...

regular milk is loaded with things other than calcium.

Organic milk is better for you.

Being I have an auto immune disorder, it was suggested to me that I start consuming meats and other animal products that were antibiotic free.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:20 pm
Oh and organic/grain fed/free range animals taste much much better.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:47 am
I've been reading some discrepancies on how organic cows are treated, despite the 'free roaming' label on my milk carton. This is unfortunate.

The rest of these comments are good though....but now that I've started thinking about the crap they put in milk....I've been reading the label of every food package in my house and it looks like I'm reading a Pharmaceutical book. How do we know if anything is good for us.

I don't trust most of what the government regulator says, I don't trust most of these 'for profit' food companies, I don't know where to go now....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:59 am
if you dont know the word on the label, google it.

Like I said, it takes alot of foot work and reading. But in the end, it is simple, easy and to the point shopping any where you go.

A good motto
if the label is longer then your finger tip, dont buy it.
If there are more words you CANT pronounce, dont buy it
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:01 am
here is a popular ingredient that I found in Wiki-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol

and taken from Wiki-
one of the reasons I wouldnt think it ok to eat this stuff any way-

Quote:
Ingesting large amounts of sorbitol can lead to some abdominal pain, gas, and mild to severe diarrhea. Sorbitol can also aggravate irritable bowel syndrome and fructose malabsorption.

Even in the absence of dietary sorbitol, cells also produce sorbitol naturally. When too much sorbitol is produced inside cells, it can cause damage.[4]

So, according to Wiki, we make it already in our bodies, and it specifically says too much causes damage.

So.. eating more in a package ? The FDA allows that? It is known to cause damage. yet.. it is allowed in most foods we eat.

odd I think.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:26 am
maporsche wrote:
I've been reading some discrepancies on how organic cows are treated, despite the 'free roaming' label on my milk carton. This is unfortunate.

Well, most - if not all - farms who produce (not organic) food, can be visited - to shop in their farm shops, as main reason.But until now - and I've been to/seen quite a few - no-one objects if you want to see how the cow are doing. (Actually not very different to "normal" milk cows, but the get only organic food.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:31 am
maporsche wrote:

Well, unfortunatly mass farms are much much much worse. Sad
0 Replies

chrissy1620

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:24 am
Organic
Hello,

I can tell you in my experience that when it comes to Organic milk and eggs you can just taste the difference. It tastes better! Personally I do not drink milk unless I am eating cereal. Because I think it is more important to get your calcium from your green leafy veggies =) humans are really the only species that drink the milk from another species but thats beside the point, honestly I taste a difference in the milk, the eggs, and the fruit. There is a lot of research about all of the hormones that are given to the cows, and honestly I just wouldn't put that stuff in your body it is not good for you. The human body doesnt know how to break down a lot of the harmful toxins that come from various different foods (like the pestisides on fruit and the hormones in milk ) and can eventually turn into free radicals in the body which are harmful and can turn into something much worse.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:24 am
shewolfnm wrote:
here is a popular ingredient that I found in Wiki-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol

and taken from Wiki-
one of the reasons I wouldnt think it ok to eat this stuff any way-

Quote:
Ingesting large amounts of sorbitol can lead to some abdominal pain, gas, and mild to severe diarrhea. Sorbitol can also aggravate irritable bowel syndrome and fructose malabsorption.

Even in the absence of dietary sorbitol, cells also produce sorbitol naturally. When too much sorbitol is produced inside cells, it can cause damage.[4]

So, according to Wiki, we make it already in our bodies, and it specifically says too much causes damage.

So.. eating more in a package ? The FDA allows that? It is known to cause damage. yet.. it is allowed in most foods we eat.

odd I think.

Everything is dangerous in high concentrations. For example water is lethal in large amounts, a woman recently died from waterpoisoning. Yet we can't just stop drinking water.

But the follow the precautionary principal I would hesitate to consume too much artificial sweeteners mainly because they haven been thoroughly tested, while water has been around for as long as I can remember. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 05:25 am
I absolutely agree.

And that is why I listed sorbitol .

that stuff is in -
deodorants
toothpaste
crackers
cereal
lotions
juice
shampoo
conditioner
body wash
lip balm
nail polish
laundry detergent
coffee creamers and some flavored coffees
instant tea's

the list is quite long.
And, just as you said, anything in excess it dangerous.

A person can, quite literally, consume an excessive amount of sorbitol in one day and not even know it.
From brushing your teeth, to applying deodorant and lotion, to absorbing it into your skin from your clothes.

The problem with these chemicals is that if they are truly in ONE item, then they are no danger to anyone because it is less then what would be considered a trace amount.
It's when you have that amount in almost all of the things you use, even non food products, that you begin to accumulate the chemical in your system and it begins to damage your body. And the really sad part is that no one knows about it because.. well.. people check FOOD labels, but not much else.

It is sad how much we have to mistrust our entire life style.. everything from toothpaste , to laundry soap, to cleaning supplies.
It is almost mind boggling how many chemicals one person in a day can consume, absorb, breathe, and wear with out knowing it.
Formaldehyde.. in laundry soap.. THERE is a great example. Confused
0 Replies