CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:00 pm
Not invalid, but understandable.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:02 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
sozobe wrote:
That's not what he's accused of doing -- he's accused of saying "bye-bye plane."

Well, he's accused of saying "bye-bye plane" according to the mother. As far as I know, the airline still has not issued a statement regarding the incident.

sozobe wrote:
I don't think it indicates much about what actually happened on the plane.

On the contrary, the mother said her li'l angel was "fussing" on plane just like he was on the set of GMA.

Other passengers came to the aid of the mother, and from my own
experience I can say, that passengers are usually not that sympathetic
with mothers and young children in general (on planes that is).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:07 pm
OK, I saw the video but without captioning I didn't see that she was equating what he was doing there with what happened on the plane.

That's more than saying "bye-bye plane," but it still doesn't seem like enough to throw someone off the plane.

One important difference is that the mother couldn't focus on him because of the nature of what was happening -- trying to do the interview -- whereas she could on the plane.

Like Calamity Jane, I think the other passengers' responses count for something, and I tend to think at this point that it was an overreaction on the stewardess' part -- but our information is limited.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:10 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

On the contrary, the mother said her li'l angel was "fussing" on plane just like he was on the set of GMA.

The kid was tired after 11 hours of flight delay (as I'm sure the flight attendant was) and kids are fussy when they're tired. The mother appears to be aware of this and tried to distract the child (which is a standard and effective technique for children that age) by showing him the plane out the window. She told the flight attendant that he would be sleeping soon and indeed he was asleep by the time they got the plane back to the gate. Whether he was fussy or being too noisy by saying "bye-bye plane" nowhere does it say he was out of his seat or screaming or annoying other passengers. I think after 11 hours of delay, even if he was doing worse things than talking too much he should have been cut a little slack. Unless he was actually out of his seat and causing a safety problem or the mother actually did threaten the flight attendant, there doesn't seem to be a real reason for kicking them off the plane.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:28 pm
It is as important for persons with children to travel as those having none. As I see it, if the child is not running amok, the rest of the passengers ought to grin and bear it when one makes some noise, or becomes tired and whiny. That's what PUBLIC transportation is about. So long as the parent is acting responsibly and keeping the child in control, there should be no issue.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:31 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Other passengers came to the aid of the mother, and from my own
experience I can say, that passengers are usually not that sympathetic
with mothers and young children in general (on planes that is).

I've seen only one passenger coming forward with any kind of corroborating detail, and she just said that the flight attendant was being "arrogant." That doesn't mean that the mother was right, just that the passenger didn't like the flight attendant's attitude.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:33 pm
sozobe wrote:
OK, I saw the video but without captioning I didn't see that she was equating what he was doing there with what happened on the plane.

That's more than saying "bye-bye plane," but it still doesn't seem like enough to throw someone off the plane.

That's only true if you believe the mother's version of events.

sozobe wrote:
One important difference is that the mother couldn't focus on him because of the nature of what was happening -- trying to do the interview -- whereas she could on the plane.

How do you know that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:34 pm
There were at least two other passengers shown in the "GMA" video -- again, I don't know what they said exactly (link to it can be found by following caribou's link on the first page) but the context and body language seemed to indicate that they thought the stewardess overreacted.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:36 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Whether he was fussy or being too noisy by saying "bye-bye plane" nowhere does it say he was out of his seat or screaming or annoying other passengers.

Given the fact that we've only heard the mother's side of the story, it is perhaps not surprising that the child's behavior is being described as nothing more than "fussy."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:38 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
It is as important for persons with children to travel as those having none. As I see it, if the child is not running amok, the rest of the passengers ought to grin and bear it when one makes some noise, or becomes tired and whiny.

The other passengers didn't kick the mother and child off the plane. They're not the issue here.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:40 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
sozobe wrote:

That's only true if you believe the mother's version of events.

At this point I'm going by YOUR version of events. A child on a plane doing exactly what I saw in the video -- being squirmy and complainy -- is not enough reason to throw him and his mother off a plane. He wasn't screaming, and his mother had physical control of him -- she relinquished him when the co-host guy came to try to cheer him up (which worked for a while) but this wasn't a kid going amok.

Quote:
sozobe wrote:

How do you know that?

How do you know she couldn't?

I don't know anything for sure, of course, but it stands to reason, and is corroborated by things like what FreeDuck pointed out about how she was managing his behavior by directing his attention to the planes out the window (to which he proceeded to say "bye-bye"). When you're interviewing, all of your attention is directed outward, at the person asking you questions. My kid was generally well-behaved at that age but if I wanted to talk to an adult when she was around, alternative arrangements had to be made (such as her dad watching her for as long as I wanted to talk, or the adult in question having a kid of the same age that she could interact with). Something about talking to another adult and being boring/ not paying attention to the toddler brings out the worst in 'em (toddlers).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:47 pm
Quote:
As an attendant reviewed the flight safety instructions, Garren began to bid Houston adieu.

"There was a plane next to us, and I pointed it out to Garren, and he started saying 'Bye, bye plane,' over and over," Penland said.

Distracted and upset by the boy's words, the flight attendant went over to Penland after completing her safety demonstration.

Then

Quote:
ExpressJet spokeswoman Kristy Nicholas said that if a passenger is understood to be compromising the safety of passengers or crew, or if a passenger undermines a crew member's "authority as the person responsible for safety" on board, they may be removed from the aircraft.

But Penland denied that she had ever threatened the flight attendant or that she or Garren had posed a threat to the security or comfort of the flight.

Seems to me the boy may have been a bit too disruptive during the safety spiel (which we ALL give our undivided attention, right?). Mom was the one who was looking out the window finding things to distract the son during the instructions. The flight attendant apparently became angry for what she considered a violation of the safety policies (they don't like it when no one pays attention, even less when they're interrupted) and confronted the mom. It sounds like it all went downhill from there.

Bottom line.... don't let your kid disrupt the safety instructions.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
That's the best-case scenario -- the one that would put the airlines in the best light -- but it doesn't really make sense. What was to be gained from kicking them off AFTER the safety spiel? It says she completed it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:53 pm
sozobe wrote:
At this point I'm going by YOUR version of events. A child on a plane doing exactly what I saw in the video -- being squirmy and complainy -- is not enough reason to throw him and his mother off a plane. He wasn't screaming, and his mother had physical control of him -- she relinquished him when the co-host guy came to try to cheer him up (which worked for a while) but this wasn't a kid going amok.

MY version of events is incomplete -- that's why I'm not drawing any conclusions about what happened. I freely concede that I have no idea who is right and who is wrong here. If you, on the other hand, choose to do so despite what even you admit is incomplete information, that's your affair.

sozobe wrote:

I don't know. But then I'm not making that claim. You, on the other hand, are claiming that she could control him. I don't know why you would make that claim without sufficient information, but that is, as I noted above, your choice.

sozobe wrote:
I don't know anything for sure, of course, but it stands to reason, and is corroborated by things like what FreeDuck pointed out about how she was managing his behavior by directing his attention to the planes out the window (to which he proceeded to say "bye-bye").

The mother's version of events doesn't corroborate the mother's version of events.

sozobe wrote:
When you're interviewing, all of your attention is directed outward, at the person asking you questions. My kid was generally well-behaved at that age but if I wanted to talk to an adult when she was around, alternative arrangements had to be made (such as her dad watching her for as long as I wanted to talk, or the adult in question having a kid of the same age that she could interact with). Something about talking to another adult and being boring/ not paying attention to the toddler brings out the worst in 'em (toddlers).

That's a rather odd inference to make. After all, the mother was presumably also talking to an adult when she was talking to the flight attendant, yet you think that she could control her child in that situation when she couldn't do so when she was talking to Diane Sawyer. Why was the former situation different, in that respect, from the latter?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 02:08 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
sozobe wrote:

MY version of events is incomplete -- that's why I'm not drawing any conclusions about what happened. I freely concede that I have no idea who is right and who is wrong here. If you, on the other hand, choose to do so despite what even you admit is incomplete information, that's your affair.

This is the version I am referring to -- it is info I did not have, and got from you:

joefromchicago wrote:

Do you think that a child behaving as that one did on the video should be thrown off a plane?

Meanwhile, I am not claiming to KNOW what happened. From what little we do know, some scenarios seem more likely than others. (I've used variations of the word "seem" rather a lot as we talk about this.) I've explained why various things seem more likely than others. I KNOW nothing about this situation, though.

Quote:
sozobe wrote:

I don't know. But then I'm not making that claim. You, on the other hand, are claiming that she could control him. I don't know why you would make that claim without sufficient information, but that is, as I noted above, your choice.

I am claiming that it's easier -- in general -- to control a child on a plane when one is able to focus exclusively on that child, than to control a child when one is in a major interview situation. That's a claim I stand by, but as a generalization -- I don't know for sure what happened here.

Quote:
sozobe wrote:
I don't know anything for sure, of course, but it stands to reason, and is corroborated by things like what FreeDuck pointed out about how she was managing his behavior by directing his attention to the planes out the window (to which he proceeded to say "bye-bye").

The mother's version of events doesn't corroborate the mother's version of events.

Fine.

joefromchicago wrote:
That's a rather odd inference to make. After all, the mother was presumably also talking to an adult when she was talking to the flight attendant, yet you think that she could control her child in that situation when she couldn't do so when she was talking to Diane Sawyer. Why was the former situation different, in that respect, from the latter?

From what information we have, the problems were occurring while the stewardess was doing her safety spiel. The mother was not talking to the stewardess at that point. The mother was focusing on her child.

This seems to be getting a fair amount of press so perhaps if the airline has a version of the story that puts them in the clear, we will be hearing that soon. My mind is open, but from what little information we do have, I tend to think that the stewardess overreacted.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 02:21 pm
What's your point Joe? You don't like kids, good, we can read that in
your statement. This is not a courthouse where people are on a witness stand.

People read this story, see the video and take sides. Whatever or whomever you want to believe is your right, and the opposing side can do the same.

You weren't present in the plane, neither were we. We give our opinion
just the same way you do, with the exception that you stand alone with your
opinion, aside from the stewardess of course. Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 02:30 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
What's your point Joe? You don't like kids, good, we can read that in
your statement. This is not a courthouse where people are on a witness stand.

People read this story, see the video and take sides. Whatever or whomever you want to believe is your right, and the opposing side can do the same.

You weren't present in the plane, neither were we. We give our opinion
just the same way you do, with the exception that you stand alone with your
opinion, aside from the stewardess of course. Laughing

Speak for your self. I don't think "we" can read from Joe's posts that he "doesn't like kids". I think it may be that the stewardess overreacted, and it may be that the kid was being a disruptive little monster. As "we" all seem to agree, all the info ain't in yet.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 02:36 pm
Of course Snood, I left you out Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 02:52 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Of course Snood, I left you out Rolling Eyes

Snotty emoticon notwithstanding, you did use a plural pronoun, and you're just one person.
0 Replies